shade

My Complete Review Of Indie Rock

There are many definitions for indie. Traditionally it's short for independent, obviously... so in that sense I suppose Radiohead isn't (or wasn't rather...they're unsigned at the moment) very independent. But I think the indie rock most people are talking about here is the type of music that encorporates that low-fi, barebones sound that came about from underfunded music projects.

In that sense I think Radiohead as a few songs that might fit that catagory, but yeah, I wouldn't go as far as to label them an indie band.

Indie and Emo are two terms that get thrown around pretty often without anyone really explaining what they mean by them. Matt Good could be either-or, or both, or none at all given the definitions I've heard.

There are many definitions for indie. Traditionally it's short for independent, obviously... so in that sense I suppose Radiohead isn't (or wasn't rather...they're unsigned at the moment) very independent. But I think the indie rock most people are talking about here is the type of music that encorporates that low-fi, barebones sound that came about from underfunded music projects.

In that sense I think Radiohead as a few songs that might fit that catagory, but yeah, I wouldn't go as far as to label them an indie band.

Indie and Emo are two terms that get thrown around pretty often without anyone really explaining what they mean by them. Matt Good could be either-or, or both, or none at all given the definitions I've heard.

I agree with you there, for me Indie rock, is the messy noisy garage band rock, where there very limited production, but what I call Indie, and what the mainstream media call Indie are two very different ideals. I think just band get tossed into some kind of genre just so the labels can sell music. All bands that come out today are either Emo or Indie, it seems to me.

Indie bands in my opinion are those lesser known bands, who have a cult following, with a limited number of fans, who have not yet been introduced into the mainstream culture.

I never said radiohead was indie rock. There are many definitions of indie rock as well.

I was talking about a lot of bands today that try to sound like OKComputer by throwing some piss-poor electronics over their guitar chords.

The indie scene has some really shweet stuff. I think Sonic Youth was the first independent group to be widely successful

I never said radiohead was indie rock. There are many definitions of indie rock as well.

I was talking about a lot of bands today that try to sound like OKComputer by throwing some piss-poor electronics over their guitar chords.

It seems to me that the vast majority of the Radiohead influences in music today come from 'High and Dry' and a few other songs from The Bends. In mainstream music, anyway.

it all started with the upright standing monkey who beat two sticks/rocks together in a rhythmic fashion.

he/she/it influenced everyone.

no band/artist has ever created something that was 100% original. they were influenced by someone sometime during their musical lives.

yes, even Radiohead. as awesomely totally wicked smart and original they are (as most fans would say), i'm sure they heard something somewhere, and decided that he could do that, but change it a little.

*as you can probably tell, i'm not such a blind fan of Radiohead and their supposed awesomeness/originality. same goes for the Beatles*

no band/artist has ever created something that was 100% original. they were influenced by someone sometime during their musical lives.

no shit.

A lot of bands still have tons of creativity...they tend to be the ones with many influences.