calgarydave

Who's Listening To The Stream?

Not sure what crawled up Saturines's...uh, bottom side... but after my second listen, this is definitely his best solo release. No doubt about it. My first listen had the player screw up so I missed half of devil's in your details and moon over marin (which is a good song!) but I say the highlights are:

champions (obviously)

99% of us is failure

she's in it for the money

black helicopter

i'm a window (this one's gotta be a single)

firebird (wish this had been longer!)

For those that are disappointed, my guess is that you think it's bland because the songs don't get very heavy? I was a big critic of his demos (many of them I found pretty undesirable) but these are way better enhancements of the demos. She's in it for the money was never that good before.

Not sure what crawled up Saturines's...uh, bottom side... but after my second listen, this is definitely his best solo release. No doubt about it. My first listen had the player screw up so I missed half of devil's in your details and moon over marin (which is a good song!) but I say the highlights are:

champions (obviously)

99% of us is failure

she's in it for the money

black helicopter

i'm a window (this one's gotta be a single)

firebird (wish this had been longer!)

For those that are disappointed, my guess is that you think it's bland because the songs don't get very heavy? I was a big critic of his demos (many of them I found pretty undesirable) but these are way better enhancements of the demos. She's in it for the money was never that good before.

i'm partial to the grandiosity of an album akin to avalanche. this album feems like rooms v.2

For those that are disappointed, my guess is that you think it's bland because the songs don't get very heavy?

No, not the case really. Upon first hearing A Single Explosion for the first time a month or two ago it actually made me cry.

Having been through my share of weird shit this past year and spending time in hospitals, that song really hit me. So I was looking forward to this album on more than just a musical level.

Just commenting on it from an entertainment standpoint, the thing kind of bores me. It sounds very dry. Almost monotonous. The songs don't have that shine to them that Avalanche, or even WLRRR did.

It will likely grow on me, I'm the biggest MG fanboy. But I actually fell asleep half-way through the album on my first listen. I feel so bad because now I'm going to remember that for the rest of my life, haha.

i really like this. it's not as immediately awesome as avalanche, but i feel more satisfied after the first listen than i did with white light, which was a bit too ordinary and underdeveloped. these songs have a great raw and minimalistic feel while still conveying a ton of atmosphere with the ambience + other instruments + samples.

it's sort of like there's a lot going on, without a lot going on. hard to explain, but this sort of production actually makes me like the acoustic setting rather than want to hit my head against the wall repeatedly (which would have happened if it were just him and an acoustic guitar). it was a relief to find that most of the songs still had a bit of musical depth to them.

Fuck that guitar line at the end of devil...details  sounds similar to something else I can't think of right now

Ex-Pats Of The Blue Mountain Symphony Orchestra. That, or the long forgotten 4 Minute Mile, which I believe gave birth to Ex-Pats.

Edited by haircut-rabbit

i cant say that ive ever been a fan of metal airplanes. the line "im like the cubs against the soxs" pisses me off to no end. so bunk. other than that its another great record from matt. dont know if i would say better than avalanche as thats one of my favorite records of all time, but very good indeed.

i cant say that ive ever been a fan of metal airplanes. the line "im like the cubs against the soxs" pisses me off to no end. so bunk. other than that its another great record from matt. dont know if i would say better than avalanche as thats one of my favorite records of all time, but very good indeed.

What's wrong with that line? He's comparing himself to two of the biggest losers historically in baseball. I like it.

Maybe not losers...more like unfortunate souls.

Edited by Gomo

While I love Metal Airplanes, that line has always stuck out to me as out of place and half assed. Kinda like "The only place to find freedom is in the dictionary... under F" on the last record.

What's wrong with that line? He's comparing himself to two of the biggest losers historically in baseball. I like it.

Maybe not losers...more like unfortunate souls.

they don't like baseball or thinking outside of the box so it's bunk...fuck what you don't know right after all how could sports actually have anything to do with feelings. sports aren't emo. Although I took the cubs against the white sox not the red sox, which kinda gave it a different meaning. I like the to biggest losers fighting it out though it's a good angle.

this cd is pretty good. I really really like champs of nothing, it's the strongest song on the cd, born losers is also very very good.

Metal Airplanes (now that we can actually understand it better ;) )

On a plane somewhere over the sea

Above the rain, the bottle sets me free

I turn to stone and fall back in my seat

The cuts are gone, but, somehow I'm still bleeding

You know it's true, there's nothing I can do

You know it's true, there's nothing I can do about you

Move to France, La Rochelle or Nice

Get a house, pretend to live in peace

Paint the walls, a black out of your face

Stalk the halls and move into the basement

Pick a fight, it's just you being right

Walk away, there's nothing I can say

So don't you mind the gap when you leave

There'll be time enough to turn tail tomorrow

Broken up like a tanker on the rocks

Not made of much, I'm like the Cubs against the Sox

On a plane, somewhere over the sea

I fall asleep convinced that I ain't breathing

Pick a fight, it's just you being right

Walk away, there's nothing I can say

So don't you mind the gap when you leave

There'll be time enough to turn tail tomorrow

While I love Metal Airplanes, that line has always stuck out to me as out of place and half assed. Kinda like "The only place to find freedom is in the dictionary... under F" on the last record.

how is it out of place or half assed?

edit: proto are you serious when you said what do sports have to do with feelings? they aren't emo? why does anything with feeling have to be "emo"? People are super passionate about sports, to say it's nothing to do with feelins is mental. it's only a simile anyway not even a metaphor

Edited by Computer

"The only place to find freedom is in the dictionary" line I think is one of the most important lines in Alert Status Red when taken into context with the song and what it's about.

I agree, it's a really trite line. This is probably my least favorite song on the album, although the flare he adds with pianos and shit help improve it a bit.

ok, lyrics for the whole thing should be coming out on our site sometime this weekend. i've never been so annoyed trying to write down lyrics ever in my life lol.

Were there some songs I missed? I thought I got all the ones that weren't up yet?