calgarydave

Who's Listening To The Stream?

After listening through a couple times, probably the thing I like the most about it is that the music and melodies themselves give so much to the lyrics to create an image of maybe a dark, abandoned emergency room or empty downtown street at night. As a whole album, I think it works quite well, better than WLR&RR and possibly Avalanche.

how is it out of place or half assed?

edit: proto are you serious when you said what do sports have to do with feelings? they aren't emo? why does anything with feeling have to be "emo"? People are super passionate about sports, to say it's nothing to do with feelins is mental. it's only a simile anyway not even a metaphor

I was attempting to be sarcastic it didn't seem to come out quite the way I'd hope.

Girl Wedged Under the Front of a Firebird really freaks me out.

Yeah same here. That has to be about Jen. It's probably not much of a stretch to think someone tried to drive their car over her.

i kinda wish I Am Not Safer Than A Bank evolved into something longer, but boy does it have a bite. his vocals seem to be nastier than in the demo. then again, you want to get it right for the album. i wonder what it sounds like live.

To me it's his best solo release. I like this record better than White Light Rock & Roll Review but for some reason it has made me appreciate that record a lot more than I did when it first came out.

Funny enough it's the three songs he added to WLR&RR that make it less memorable for me.

"The only place to find freedom is in the dictionary" line I think is one of the most important lines in Alert Status Red when taken into context with the song and what it's about.

I agree, that line is such a snarling criticism of misconstrued representation in the media campaign of disinformation that has been the home front battle of western administrations throughout this most recent middle-east debacle. HUGE 'fuck you, go educate yourself.' I always smile when I hear it.

I must say that I think the new album, on the whole, is the least musically challenging that matt has released. That's not to say it's not good, but I'm not blown away by a lot technically. It's definitely got buckets of emotional inflection, without which a lot of the songs wouldn't carry as well lyrically (when considered alongside previous work). It's all very personal, and a lot of 'clever' metaphor has been dispensed with in favour of a sort of desperate honesty. In this way, a lot of the metaphors created are even more obscure than, say, the lyrics from 'the audio of being,' which are tantalizingly constructed but also seem written somewhat to please the ear of the listener (which may be an inaccurate observation).

Am I the only one who really likes A Single Explosion? I mean I know it's the first track Matt streamed from the site, but I still can't get enough of it.

I've listened one time all the way through and about halfway through here at work. An mazing album, can't wait for it!

I must say that I think the new album, on the whole, is the least musically challenging that matt has released.

I disagree. I think there are a lot of songs that have very unique arrangements. It's like he as explored avenues he hasn't been down.

Matt's no superstar at the guitar, but he is a superstar when it comes to writing songs.

This album is really blowing me away, how it's just this giant emotional roller coaster. If you listen to songs like 99% of us is failure or champions of nothing, they have this really dark almost depressing appeal to it, Where as if you listen to a song like The Devils in your details it has this uplifting, I'm in love and want to dance thing....It's amazing. Not to mention Odette, wich I can't describe it,it just honestly touches me every time I listen to it. This album is truely a work of passion.