Guest Prosis

French Quebecers

Guest Prosis

As you almost all know I'm a Quebecer. But not the kind of Quebecer who is closed to the english. I'm not a seperatist either. I could fit in any province of this country.

The thing is, I hear some english people saying they hate French Quebecers. I hear Quebecers saying they hate English Canadians. I personally don't understand either sides of this hate.

So first question: Do you hate french Quebecers?

Is so, why?

From these answers I may tell you the reasons why Quebecers do this or that to the best of my knowledge. But I will stay objective.

Thank You ;)

I think there is a multiple answers to this.

Some Canadians feel (or from what ive heard them say) is that Quebec get's a lot of money and a lot of attention compared to the Western provinces. There's a bit of resentment in the west (and likely in the east) that Ottawa only listens to Quebec and Ontario because the way our system is set up, Ont, and Que are powerhouse vote provinces and if you can win both your likely to win an election. So there is some reason for resentment, and Quebec does get a lot of perks in terms of Federal money.

That being said, this is no reason to "hate" Quebecers and it'd like those who say they do to spend some time with Quebecers and see how much they hate them afterwards!

Another reason may be because some people hold onto this ridiculous rivalry between the French and English at the beginning of this countries formation. I've heard rediculous arguments like "The english and the french will always be at odds its the way it's always been". Those who posit such insane ideas don't know their own history, it was Cartier and MacDonald who sold the constitution to the colonies, thus united both French and English, even if that unity was precarious.

Anyway, im sure a lot of racists will have a lot of justifications for their beliefs.

This one in particular i have no idea, the resentment towards the french from the english perspective is insane. I can understand the French feeling angry towards the English since for a long time you couldn't get a job in the Federal government if you didnt speak english. The flip side to that is that many feel now you can't get a job in the government if you don't speak french.

Whether this is even true anymore i dont know, but all these little theories ive heard over the years all completely collapse under closer scrutiny.

Guest Prosis

I agree with that last point. For a long time, the english tried to suppress the french by stopping them from being educated and getting work. But these reasons for hating the english are invalid nowadays. People still talk about assimilation and, quite frankly, I think that now, the english could care less if we speak english or not.

I agree with that last point. For a long time, the english tried to suppress the french by stopping them from being educated and getting work. But these reasons for hating the english are invalid nowadays. People still talk about assimilation and, quite frankly, I think that now, the english could care less if we speak english or not.

You're likely correct.

The english (i'm not a spokesmen for them, but from what i've seen and heard) in general, are apathetic if anything it seems nowadays.

Not enough Canadians that are close enough to Quebec to care.

I'm also from Quebec, was born there and I have relatives there as well but by no means do I speak French. A lot of the times I wish that I was brought up bilingual because I find that would get me a Government job all the quicker. I don't hate the French, especially for that, it's a beautiful language and culture(albeit French I find are typically stubborn, but that's from family experience mostly).

Guest Prosis

Yeah I've seen that before...yet most French Quebecers couldn't put two proper english words together

But there is a certain amount of elitism whithin French Quebecers when it comes to French. I don't understand it either. I'm a French and I don't personally see English as an enemy and am proud to speak it as well. Which doesn't mean I don't care about french.

I personally believe that francophone Quebecers help make our country the great place it is. However, I fully understand when English canadians who have been to Quebec recount that some francophones talked down to them, or were angry at the anglophones when they tried to speak french to them. I've run into that. But I've also run into a lot of really nice people who appreciated that I spoke french. I think most Anglophones who talk negatively about Quebec have never been there, or went once and made judgments based on a few individuals. Nevertheless, seperatism is a thorn in Canada's side, and many people (not just anglophones, though sometimes they feel that way) are very hostile to the entire french canadian population, though a majority are not seperatists.