its great to see that Billy Corgan still has that ego of his. ;)

if a band breaks up, you can tell who the asshole in the band is/was

he's the one that stays in the band.

Edited by sodamntired

There are a few passable songs. The production of the album is horrid though...the vocals are mixed so high...and I usually don't care about production but shit.

Jimmy Chamberlin still has it going, Billy Doesn't.

This is not the pumpkins. I bought it today...I like it, it's kick ass!!! This is Billy and Jimmy and some hired guns. Having said that it's pretty damned good. But don't mistake this for the Smashing Pumpkins. D'arcy wasn't all that talented...but james Iha is, and he is the component that would have made this the pumpkins. Great Album, it is what it is. I'm loving it, but Shade is dead on, the vocals are mixed to shit. Billy's voice is fine, I think he saw that he was missing Iha's voice, and covered it up with over production.

My only problem with this album is the fact that there are three versions with different bonus tracks, so you would need to buy it three times to get them all, plus a fourth time if you want the deluxe booklet. I bought the booklet and am downloading the tracks. Thanks, internet.

I dig the music though, and let's be serious...Billy didn't let James and D'arcy do very much to begin with, so this isn't too much of a departure.

Actually, James contributed more than you realize. It shows in this album, especially in the over produced vocals, and in the writting. Mellon Collie versus Adore or Machina is the difference...James contributed heavily to Mellon Collie..listen to his Solo disc if ytou don't believe me.

I dig the music though, and let's be serious...Billy didn't let James and D'arcy do very much to begin with, so this isn't too much of a departure.

Very true... it's rumoured he re-tracked everything except the drum parts for Siamese Dream... their best album, in my opinion.

Also, I don't think finding similarities between Melon Collie and James' solo album is indicative of his level of contribution. His solo album came after Melon Collie, which was a huge success, so he probably didn't let the apple fall too far from the tree. For all we know, Corgan could have influenced his solo album. James' Melon Collie track is easily the albums weakest (though some of his b-sides are pretty sweet).

And D'Arcy... she was the token girl bass player that stood quietly and did as she was told.

Edited by haircut-rabbit

hopefully zwan get back together.

LAUGH OUT LOUD

she opened to Matty back in 2005. All I remember is joyfully yelling "get auf der stage!!".

In terms of Zeitgeist, its pretty average but United States is a great song. Whatever they do next will be better.

i'm glad we weren't the only ones doing that. it was mean, i know but too classic to pass up

mary star of the sea > zeitgeist

the future embrace >>>>>>> zeitgeist (no exaggeration)

Stephen Thomas Erlewine of allmusic.com made a hell of a review and I agree entirely. The problem with Billy Corgan is that he wants attention--he wants to be praised, he wants his records to sell, he wants to be in the spotlight, he wants to lead the biggest group in the land...and the only way he can try to rekindle this past is to re-form the "smashing pumpkins". Zeitgeist is nothing but proof of Billy Corgan's anxiety to regain that rock god status that he once had.

Zeitgeist sounds like Disc 3 of the Aeroplane Flies High set; throw-a-way heavy rock songs with endless distortion that really lacks any sense of poise, conviction, or melody for that matter. But hey, he proved the skeptics wrong; at least he brought back the rock! Who cares of TheFutureEmbrace was the most honest record that he's recorded since Adore? Who in their right mind would want to market to a lower, more specified core audience anyway? I just hate how he can get away with writing B-material rock songs that are poor, poor attempts at returning to the Pumpkins roots and many people such as yourselves bringing praise to the man.

What bugs me the most is that this will haunt me as an album made by the Smashing Pumpkins. The DAY he released TheFutureEmbrace and made that one-page post in the Chicago newspaper about re-joining the Pumpkins just about brought tears to me...I just knew his music would turn into mediocrity just bring back a "sound" that he grown and HAPPILY evolved out of over the years.

God I'm so pissed.

Very true... it's rumoured he re-tracked everything except the drum parts for Siamese Dream... their best album, in my opinion.

Also, I don't think finding similarities between Melon Collie and James' solo album is indicative of his level of contribution. His solo album came after Melon Collie, which was a huge success, so he probably didn't let the apple fall too far from the tree. For all we know, Corgan could have influenced his solo album. James' Melon Collie track is easily the albums weakest (though some of his b-sides are pretty sweet).

And D'Arcy... she was the token girl bass player that stood quietly and did as she was told.

I agree to a point Rabbit(By the way good to see ya). But even Billy said on more than one occasion, that James had a profound impact on the songwriting process. What Shortcut posted makes sense to me as well.

Bottom-line - this isn't a Pumpkins album...This is Billy Corgan trying to recreate the pumpkin's sound, as a solo artist. In that regard he's no better than Axl Rose, calling it one thing whhen it's just a band of hired guns. Is it decent music? Yes...but it feels incomplete.

poor melissa auf der maur, always having to get auf der stage

that rocked.

zeitgeist. arguably the most pretentious album name ever.

i'm afraid to listen to this album. i like the pumpkins. i'm not a big fan by any means, but i like them. i know for sure that this album will ruin that for me. i should probably hear it so i can at least say WHY i don't like it.

machina II rocked face. too bad no one heard it. it's way better than machina I and adore. it was only weighted down by those silly additional remixes and things that no one needs to hear.