Monkey

The Next Single

Carmelina would always have been chosen before Man of Action because it has a heavily repeated chorus. Same with the Future Is X-Rated instead of Suburbia, Rico instead of Prime Time... if you were in charge of picking singles you'd be fired.

It's obvious you have no idea what a Radio Edit is, in terms of creating a single catered for radio/video play...or you wouldn't have felt the need to point out that album versions of "Man of Action" and "Prime time" are not as 'radio friendly'...

Fact is, there have been plenty of radio hits, from various rock artists, from more original singles (radio edits) which haven't had that annoying amount of "heavily repeated chorus".

Sorry pal, but Rico, Carmalina & The Future is X-Rated are among Matt's least successful singles released, and there is a reason for that: they weren't chosen wisely.

Cheers.

No amount of editing can catapult certain songs into radio-friendly chart toppers. There's just no way songs like Man of Action and Suburbia, though awesome songs, would ever fly as singles. This is a painfully obvious fact. It doesn't matter if Carmelina and Rico were not successful singles, they had the forumula that conventional singles follow. Every once in a while there will be a deviation, but in the case of the songs you're proposing should have been radio singles I just don't think so. Carmelina and Anti-Pop were the only things resembling radio singles on Audio of Being. Beautiful Midnight had perfect choices for singles. Maybe the choices for Underdog were a bit off base, but not terribly so.

As far as Hospital Music goes, anybody who suggests Champions of Nothing for a radio edit is just plain not thinking clearly.

No amount of editing can catapult certain songs into radio-friendly chart toppers.  There's just no way songs like Man of Action and Suburbia, though awesome songs, would ever fly as singles.  This is a painfully obvious fact.  It doesn't matter if Carmelina and Rico were not successful singles, they had the forumula that conventional singles follow.  Every once in a while there will be a deviation, but in the case of the songs you're proposing should have been radio singles I just don't think so.  Carmelina and Anti-Pop were the only things resembling radio singles on Audio of Being.  Beautiful Midnight had perfect choices for singles.  Maybe the choices for Underdog were a bit off base, but not terribly so.

As far as Hospital Music goes, anybody who suggests Champions of Nothing for a radio edit is just plain not thinking clearly.

Actually, "Suburbia" was a proposed radio/video single by Universal when Beautiful Midnight was originally released.

The copy I bought, (which was the week it was released in Canada), had a a sticker on the package that slated the upcoming singles, it stated something along the lines of:

"Album includes

The new hit single:

Hello Timebomb

with:

Load Me Up

Strange Days

Suburbia"

Who knows what occured at Universal between the time of the albums release and the time that the 4th single was released (being The Future is X-Rated), but it is evident that they were planning on releasing Suburbia, initially, as a potential 4th single...

Cheers.

Just because a song title is listed on a sticker on the cover when you buy it does not necessarily mean that it is a proposed single. The decision to announce third and fourth singles are usually done after the first two have been released and they've fairly "tested" the market for the record.

For all I know Suburbia could have been proprosed as a single... but ultimately it wasn't, and for the reason I already stated. I don't think the sales would have been impacted that greatly had suburbia been the fourth single anyhow.

though, who could've predicted the impact that Apparations would've had? Same with Weapon. sometimes it's the songs that you'd never expect as successful singles that do the best.

I disagree with this. I don't think I know a single person that thinks Weapon or Apparitions is a bad song... and I have A LOT of Matt Good-hating friends.

Weapon and Apparitions are explosive songs... I can see no circumstance that would prevent Apparitions from becoming one of Underdogs singles.

The decision to announce third and fourth singles are usually done after the first two have been released and they've fairly "tested" the market for the record.

...Curious, where are you sourcing your information from?

So, you are trying to state that a major record company, (like Universal), and the staff responsible for promoting & marketing major CD releases (like Beautiful Midnight), would only go so far as to negotiate on & select the first two singles to be released to radio (prior the the CD's release)?

I seriously doubt that, not when it's a band or artist who's 'sound'/brand has been already established in the market through previous successful releases.

I have read situations where the videos for the initial 3 singles for a major release were already shot & edited prior to the albums big release date. (The analysis in marketing a product for the public doesn't start after the product has been released to the public, they don't need to "test" the market, it's their job to know the market).