Audio of Being

Hosptial Music Poll

Is Hospital Music better, worse, or equal to Avalanche  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hospital Music better, worse, or equal to Avalanche

• Better
    • Equal
    • Worse

The repeated phrases in Champions of Nothing made me want to shoot myself.

It beat Metric's 'Hustle Rose' annoying repetition of: "Now that your wallet is all lit up," phrase by a hundredfold.

I liked the demo Black Helicopter better as well.

At least some people have some sense. Hospital Music, while I don't think it as many great songs as Avalanche, I do feel it has more good songs. There are some songs on Avalanche that I do have to skip over, while on Hospital Music, I haven't found one yet. For me though, Beautiful Midnight, I could reply the whole CD over and over and not skip one song.

I've only had Hospital Music for a few days, but it seems kind of hard to compare it to Avalanche, first off, because I haven't listened to Avalanche in ages (I should search to make sure I even have it still), and because it's often hard for me to decide which album is better if the difference isn't a massive one. I've always measured how good an album is based on how many songs I enjoy listening to as opposed to skipping to get to the songs I like in which case, Avalanche may have a slight lead.

Now that I've had a good oppurtunity to listen to HM, I have to say I think I prefer it over Avalanche. Avalanche is an album I really have to be in the mood to listen to, with the exception of a few songs, whereas with HM, I can randomly click on any song and be happy listening to it.

We'll see if that changes in a month.

I voted "worse" but worse is way too harsh a word.

As I said in another thread, "Avalanche" is a benchmark for me in terms of Matt's solo stuff.

"Hospital Music" is definately right up there, but marginally less brilliant than "Avalanche".

I could have happily voted "Equal". LOL

I love White Light... Basically every release from Beautiful Midnight onward has been really awesome to me (well, I really love every release for it's own special qualities but those ones I listen to a bit more). Right now I'd place them like this:

Beautiful Midnight = Avalanche (BM came out when I needed it so it's special to me, plus it's great)

Hospital Music = White Light Rock and Roll Review = Audio of Being = Loser Anthems

Underdogs

Raygun

Last of the Ghetto Astronauts

I'm always growing more and more fond of Hospital music too, so this may change a little shortly.

Edit: I didn't include In A Coma because it's a greatest hits but I forgot about the Rooms disc. I'd probably throw it in there with Underdogs or something, I guess. Maybe above Underdogs but below the other four?

Edited by Monochrome Rainbow

As much as I love the new cd, I think Avalanche (as well as Beautiful Midnight) are just brilliant. For me anyway, there isnt any "filler" on Avalanche, whereas Hospital Music has those 2 short pieces on there (even though they are barely a minute each, I'd still rather see a bside on there in their place)

Beautiful Midnight also holds a very special place for me, as its the first time I had ever heard of Matthew Good. At the time, our satellite provider had Much Music on there for us US listeners, and "Strange Days" was in constant rotation. I played the hell out of that cd

Hard choice. I put them as equal. IAWCC was really overplayed on the radio (though I love the acoustic version, I wish that had made it onto Rooms).

My list:

Avalanche = Hospital Music = Beautiful Midnight

Audio of Being = Loser Anthems(for the last three songs) = Rooms

White Light Rock And Roll Review (mainly for Blue Skies Over Badlands, We're So Heavy and Empty Road)

Underdogs

Last of the Ghetto Astronauts (though I love She's Got A New Disguise, Fearless and Omissions of The Omen).

Raygun

Lo-Fi B-Sides(though Fated is awesome).

Up until about about a month ago I always kept thinking in my head that I liked MGB more than MG and that nothing he's done has really compared to BM and AOB but then I realized how much I listen to the solo releases compared to the others.

What really blows me away when I think about it is when you take Avalanche, White Light Rock and Roll Review, Hospital Music and Underdogs, Beautiful Midnight, and Audio of Being and analyze the amount of overall diversity between the two sets of albums. MG solo stuff is far more diverse and I think Matt has grown a lot more as an artist since he's gone solo.