beerman37

Blown Away?

Since I'm pretty new around here, I'm not sure if anyone has ever had a topic like this, but I'll give it a go anyway.

When you are a big fan of an artist, obviously one of the most exciting times is when a new album comes out. In regards to MG, have you ever been completely blown away by a song the first time you heard it?

I was that way with While We Were Hunting Rabbits. The entire arrangement of that song, I was just knocked out. Actually, I was knocked out by much of the Avalanche album, which I played to death (and still play frequently...current favorite song of the week on that is "Bright End Of Nowhere")

Anyone else?

I can think of quite a few that have had that kind of effect on me, Champions of Nothing would be a recent one for sure.

But I think one of the most underrated MG songs is Man of Action. I love that as an opener to Audio of Being. When I heard it I was so instantly blown away. That and Tripoli are just so great.

"Everything Is Automatic" was that MG song (or at least one of them for me).

I remember being in another room while Much Music was blasting on the TV in the living room. I heard that opening riff & I remember thinking "Holy shit!!! Who the hell is this?!?!?". I ran into the living room & sat transfixed in front of the TV for the next 3-4 minutes. I went out & bought UNDERDOGS off the strength of that song & have been a freak for Matthew Good ever since, snapping up every release as soon as they hit the shelves pretty much.

As has been mentioned already, the first time I stuck in AUDIO OF BEING & heard the opening notes of "Man Of Action" I was blown awy too.

Other songs that have blown me away upon first listen include (but are not limited to) Suburbia, Failing The Rorschach Test, Running For Home, Giant (K-I-C-K-A-S-S, That's the way we spell success! - is prolly the best start to a song ever!), While We Were Hunting Rabbits (just an absolutely phenonenal piece of music), 21st Century Living, Near Fantastica (which may very well be my fav mellower Matt Good song ever), Indestructable, Fated, Buffalo Seven, Flight Recorder From Viking 7, Generation X-Wing, Omissions Of The Omen, Symbolistic White Walls & The Inescapable Us. Oh and The Rat Who Would Be King. This is one of my fave MG songs ever! His voice is absolutely incredible in that song! He is the king of emoting.

Shit Matt Good is a freakin' genius.

Edited by Ozzwald

I prefer when songs don't instantly amaze me on the very first listen. I find a much greater appreciation when they just kinda natually grow on me. While the songs I instantly love, I tend to get sick of sooner.

As far as I can remeber no album Post BM (my first MGB CD) really jumped out at me on the first go, which is part of what makes them so great.

Mind you, I'm sure there were a few Demos Pre-MGB, that really blew me away on the first listen (Umbrellaless, Before You Go, Last Poem's Poet...)

I got hooked on BM as well, and Giant, Suburbia, Born to Kill and Running for Home were the ones that totally blew my nuts off.

Then, basically the whole of the Audio of Being did the same (minus the Rat Who Would be King, which in time has become one of my fave cuts on that album), especially Truffle Pigs and Sort of A Protest Song.

Same here. There's just way too many to mention. Many of the songs on Beautiful Midnight could be mentioned along with a few on Audio of Being, quite a few from Avalanche, already one or two from the newest and quite a lot from Underdogs. But Beautiful Midnight bar none has the largest amount of blow away tracks for me. But on the topic of Audio of Being, a song that I am getting the impression that is getting underrated in this thread that is absolutely amazing to me is The Rat Who Would Be King. I say that because I think I've only seen it mentioned in here once.

Generally the songs that "blow me away" at first listen become my eventual favourites... Rabbits, The Rat, Near Fantastica, Blue Skies, Inescapable, Suburbia. And so on.

Then there are those that I don't think I like that much at first, and then go back and listen to them a while afterwards and realize how good they are... Pledge of Allegiance, We're So Heavy, Vermilion.