supercanuk

Canadian Activists Catch Police Dirty Tricks On Vi

Wondering what people think of the police tactics used and whether or not you have seen the YouTube Video??

Here is an article I just had published:

The Security and Prosperity Partnership summit in Montebello Quebec was not your average event. In attendance were Prime Minister Steven Harper, George Bush, and Felipe Calder

published eh? that's pretty cool. what's GNN?

provided the claims are true,I don't think that it qualifies as entrapment. You can't argue that someone tricked you into rioting LOL. If you're going to riot just because someone yells "police,police" then let's face it, you were there to riot in the first place. I think it's a clever way of weeding out troublemakers, although there are many considerings that would have to be made in order for that conduct to be considered appropriate. Provoking a riot is probably always a negligent thing to do, but I don't know if that really constitutes as provocation. Yeah, maybe if they were pretending to use excessive force and putting on a whole show...I'd like to know ratio of crowd to riot control police. I do.

Edited by heyrabbit

published eh? that's pretty cool. what's GNN?

provided the claims are true,I don't think that it qualifies as entrapment. You can't argue that someone tricked you into rioting LOL. If you're going to riot just because someone yells "police,police" then let's face it, you were there to riot in the first place. I think it's a clever way of weeding out troublemakers, although there are many considerings that would have to be made in order for that conduct to be considered appropriate. Provoking a riot is probably always a negligent thing to do, but I don't know if that really constitutes as provocation. Yeah, maybe if they were pretending to use excessive force and putting on a whole show...I'd like to know ratio of crowd to riot control police. I do.

Well the SQ has admitted that the three were there cops, and if your pushing and shoving people and brandishing a rock (also a beer bottle in your back pants) it might look as if your instigating violence. It's so not much entrapment as it would be inciting others to riot, other activists get charged for this by doing far lesser crimes. Obviously one cannot trick someone into rioting but if the police started a fight it would give the other cops an excuse to basically shut the protest down. To me its an infringement on the right to peacebly assemble, because if you are protesting peacefully which these protesters were, then there is no excuse for undercover police. If there were undercover police trying to stop people from rioting then yes thats acceptable but starting fights with union leaders? I think thats pushing it.

Thanks for the comments though ;)

Like Supercanuk said it is an attack on the right to protest. It's well known that police have these sorts of agents provocateurs at all large protest events, this is just the first time they've been caught so red-handed. The union leader guy knew exactly what was going on. They were hoping to incite protesters to the point where the armored cops could move in and bust some heads. The police know who they're really serving.

The police also know that they're heavily, heavily outnumbered by an angry and yes, sometimes violent, mob. I'd be a bit on edge too. You can't blame the cops for everything, all the time.

Edited by Sparq

It's pretty evident what they were doing there. They came to a peaceful protest, disguised as protesters looking to get violent, toting rocks etc. There's a term to describe that, agent provocateur. They were looking to give the police an excuse to bust up the protest, which is what their bosses wanted. This is what cops always do at these protests, which is why nobody in that video is too surprised.

Anyone who's been to a protest like that knows that if someone is going to be hurt, statistically, it'll be a protester, not a cop, and it will be the cops hurting him.

Edited by Bizud