finboy

Calgary

This will sound insane, because I don't know you, but I actually think I love you, AnOceanPearl.

I went to three shows and he didn't play "sort of a protest song" at any of them, but this video is soothing that pain. Thanks so much for all of them!

This will sound insane, because I don't know you, but I actually think I love you, AnOceanPearl.

I went to three shows and he didn't play "sort of a protest song" at any of them, but this video is soothing that pain. Thanks so much for all of them!

Oh, let me tell you about Sort of a Protest Song.

Monday night I went up to see him play in Edmonton. After the set, I go to to the tour bus to get an autograph and a picture and say hi and you know, normal fanboy type things. I tell him that I know I've been bugging him online for months to play Protest Song in Calgary, and that this would be the last time I asked him. He said he'd try to play it, but with his catalogue it was hard to fit all the songs in.

Obviously enough, he plays it, and I'm floored, because a)it's my favorite song EVER because b)it holds so much meaning to me. Once again, after the show, I'm outside at the bus to get an autograph for a friend who couldn't make it and for more pictures and more fanboy type things and I say to him thanks for playing Sort of Protest Song.

"No problem, bro," he says, "I remembered just before I went on stage actually that you wanted to hear it, so I added it to the setlist."

And that's my story.

And you're all welcome ;)

See, and I'm mad at myself, because when I met him, I just thanked him for playing Avalanche. It didn't even occur to me to ask for anything. Damn!

Plus, the night I met him (Edmonton show # 1) he was pretty much hammered. I doubt he would have remembered, really.

Yeah, that's totally awesome. See, I went to Red Deer, Edmonton, Edmonton. I thought about Calgary, but I would have had to skip a lab that can't be re-done and my friend would have had to floor it the whole way, and really, I'm not sure the car would have been capable of that. It's suspect.

I liked Red Deer, because he played the joke "battlestar galactica" song. Heh.

Well, my favorite request story from this tour was 'drunk man' two rows behind me in Red Deer who was yelling for Apparitions, but as the show went on and he presumably became drunker, started yelling for "remonitions" and "ermission" and "amaritions". When Matt finally started playing Apparitions all the people sitting near him went "Thank GOD! Augh!"

That's the same man who answered his phone during Alert Status Red. If I ever see him again, I may punch him. In the face.

Oh, an epic failure of a human. I was so mad, you have no idea. Especially since I've always had a real soft spot for Alert Status Red.

And I mean, here comes the insanity again, at any other concert i would have been "pissed". At Matt Good? I was LIVID.

Here is an article about Matt Good that appeared in today's Calgary metro news (see page 12):

http://www.metronews.ca/uploadedFiles/PDFs...026_calgary.pdf

The recording in question, Hospital Music, is a recount of a tumultuous year for Good that included a turbulent divorce, coupled with a years-long battle with Type 2 bipolar disorder - a mental illness only properly diagnosed for him after wrestling with it for years. The mounting pressure of it all climaxed one night, as Good overdosed in the shower on a mixture of pills and alcohol, later pleading with paramedics to let him die as they hurried him to the hospital to save his life

This makes me sad. The info in the last sentence seems a little too personal to put on a newspaper. I wonder why they did that.

I'm glad he put this all behind him and that he's doing okay now.

Here is an article about Matt Good that appeared in today's Calgary metro news (see page 12):

http://www.metronews.ca/uploadedFiles/PDFs...026_calgary.pdf

This makes me sad. The info in the last sentence seems a little too personal to put on a newspaper. I wonder why they did that.

I'm glad he put this all behind him and that he's doing okay now.

It's something Matt has posted about and talked about publicly on the blog.

The entire story about his OD and the consequential fallout have been something the media never fails to mention. That doesn`t surprise me at all.

Not that anyone with a quantifiable intellect actually reads those freebie Daily rags looking for any substance anyways.