shade

Radiohead - In Rainbows

"While many industry observers speculated that Radiohead might go off-label for its seventh album, it was presumed the band would at least rely on Apple's iTunes or United Kingdom-based online music store 7digital for distribution. Few suspected the band members had the ambition (or the server capacity) to put an album out on their own. The final decision was apparently made just a few weeks ago, and, when informed of the news on Sunday, several record executives admitted that, despite the rumors, they were stunned. "This feels like yet another death knell," emailed an A&R executive at a major European label. "If the best band in the world doesn't want a part of us, I'm not sure what's left for this business."

Labels can still be influential and profitable by focusing on younger acts that need their muscle to get radio play and placement in record stores

the question is... what is everyone going to pay for it? how many cheap fucks are out there that are going to give next to nothing for the album?

Most of them, I'm sure. I'm going to wait and see if they actually release a CD. If not, I'm going to be disappointed. I hope music never goes online-only.

Most of them, I'm sure. I'm going to wait and see if they actually release a CD. If not, I'm going to be disappointed. I hope music never goes online-only.

The actual CD won't be available in stores until early next year.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...10th/#more-4010

that's crazy, dude. most of what you pay in the store goes to the industry, not the artist (or so i've been led to believe). radiohead don't have a label. plus, in store you get a physical copy of the cd. i'm gonna dl the album on the dl, and if i like it, i'll pay 10 bucks for it.

when artists release an album they get something like a dollar for each cd sold. radiohead thought this one through, they'll get atleast around a dollar each from everyone beacuse of the 75cent additional fee. but "loyal" fans will probably pay more and will even out the cheapies (like me!)