Moonlight_Graham

Why Combining 2 Last Names After Marriage Is Dumb!

there's not much psychology. when you marry someone you join their family, and taking their last name shows that.

and if your husband dies, the marriage and your relationship doesn't end. that's what love is.

i really don't see how taking someone's last name when you get married is a rights thing. it's not ownership.

no, but it was about ownership.

i think that taking a person's name is an archaic practise and won't have anything to do with it. sure, the lady is joining my family, but aren't i joining hers as well? why change your last name at all? why do people feel the need to express their relationship and love through symbols? the changing of one's last name, the wedding band, the wedding itself are all symbols, and none of which contribute to the meaning of a long-lasting relationship whatsoever.

moonlight's logic for starting this topic is fucking painful.

also, props to lauren.

men aren't raised with the same conventions as women. of course ou don't understand changing your name, you'll never be faced with the option (let alone have it expected of you).
Edited by borntohula

If two people get married and the woman keeps her name, then what last name will their children use? I understand where his logic comes from.

I just say we lose all last names and just have a first name and perhaps a middle one.

in response to everything....

of course it used to be a rights thing, and i never stated otherwise. but today in our society it's not and clearly women arn't feeling pressured to take their husband's last name since there's so many females out there who didn't.

there's a lot more to it than just tradition. for example, a lot of doctors or laywers that have their own practices won't change their last name 'cause of the trouble they'll have to go through in order to legally change their practice's name and who they're known as by their clients.

and bizud, i'm sure if you were in a strong, meaningful relationship with someone and they died unexpectantly you wouldn't just get up and forget them. the feelings would still be there. and i know if my husband died, i wouldn't change my last name.

lastly, shiri of course i'll marry you, but i'm not sure taylor is the best last name you could get

no, but it was about ownership.

i think that taking a person's name is an archaic practise and won't have anything to do with it. sure, the lady is joining my family, but aren't i joining hers as well? why change your last name at all? why do people feel the need to express their relationship and love through symbols? the changing of one's last name, the wedding band, the wedding itself are all symbols, and none of which contribute to the meaning of a long-lasting relationship whatsoever.

moonlight's logic for starting this topic is fucking painful.

also, props to lauren.

men aren't raised with the same conventions as women. of course ou don't understand changing your name, you'll never be faced with the option (let alone have it expected of you).

Bingo.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this so far but historically speaking, in our Canadian and American tradition a woman took the name of her husband because they become one person, legally, at marriage. In fact it wasn't until i believe the 1800s that a woman could even sue her husband because they were considered to be the same person legally, therefore you could not sue "yourself" legally. That changed, but it most certainly was about ownership back in the day. Now people have changed that into a romantic notion which is a far better way to look at it.