like_nothing_is

Who Is Pat/patty?

Hey,

I'm hoping someone knows who Pat/Patty is/are - Matt wrote letters to Pat in Weapon, and sings about Patty in She's In It For The Money.

At the Ottawa show last Thursday, he mentioned that we "wouldn't know the middle part" of the song (She's In It For The Money) unless we knew him, his friends or family.

Sadly, I don't, so I'm hoping that someone here has better Internet- and Matt-Fu than I do and can help shed some light on the reference.

Thanks!

Hey,

I'm hoping someone knows who Pat/Patty is/are - Matt wrote letters to Pat in Weapon, and sings about Patty in She's In It For The Money.

At the Ottawa show last Thursday, he mentioned that we "wouldn't know the middle part" of the song (She's In It For The Money) unless we knew him, his friends or family.

Sadly, I don't, so I'm hoping that someone here has better Internet- and Matt-Fu than I do and can help shed some light on the reference.

Thanks!

I would imagine that he was talking about Pat Stewart in the weapon vid.... but i haven't read the letter so I don't know the content.

On another note of things that Matt brings up often in his songs...animals:

Rat

mouse

birds

monkey

etc

sorry, a meaningless distraction

I dont have a source on this, but I seem to remember Matt explaining that the letters to Pat, as shown in the Weapon video, were actually written after his grandmother died. He would still write letters to her when he had trouble sleeping, or something to that effect, as he felt it calmed him.

Prosis (and others):  Thanks!  Where did you find the info, btw?

Hyphnip:  Thanks for the laugh.  ;)

Ccf23:  Actually, I didn't know, so thanks for the insider info.

I'm not 100% on that...It just...Makes sense if you read the lyrics.

...and while we're at it, this is the best lyric on the album IMO:

"Black rooms to babysit

White halls to pace and wait for it"

Paints a very vivid picture to me.

Edited by ccf23

excellent topic. The song makes even more sense now. I knew this "Patty" person was probably dead, but didn't know who it was.

I'm not sure if Patty is being referred to in "99% of Us is Failure". It could be her, or it could be Jenny, or another family member saying "I know its real slow honey...". Hard to say

Prosis (and others): Thanks! Where did you find the info, btw?

I'm just really really cool ;)

No seriously, I got it from the official forum on mg.org :angry:

It is about cancer. I don't know how obvious the line "I know that it's bad, that it's the kind that they can't operate on" could make it.

That probably scratches the Jen theory since I'm pretty sure she doesn't/didn't have cancer.

I don't know about his Grandmother, but I think the "Patty shine a light" bit is about having the strength to deal with this other problem that is unrelated to her.

The song, in my opinion, is about Merle's mom or dad. Both as I understood it died of cancer early this year or late last year.

Wow rabbit, i always thought it was about Matt's experience in the hospital. Didn't know about the cancer. Yours is a good theory.

I always assumed "I know that it's bad, that it's the kind that they can't operate on" was about his mental illness, since its a disease you obviously can't operate on.

I'm not sure if Patty is being referred to in "99% of Us is Failure".  It could be her, or it could be Jenny, or another family member saying "I know its real slow honey...".  Hard to say

Matt said (at the Toronoto show) that the song was about his friend who has ovarian or cervical cancer and about Merle's parents, who recently passed away from the disease as well.

Edited by like_nothing_is