I guess I just think mourning is a weird concept in general unless the death is recent. After the shortest period of time possible I would do my best to overcome those feelings by focusing on good memories of that person's life, instead of making a point to remember the date of their death in order to bring back my grief on that day. Is it supposed to be a sign of respect? It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm too optimistic. All I know is, when the time comes, I don't want people to remember my death and be sad about it every year.

Edited by Christing

I'm not sure what stance i can take here. Granted, he was a talented musician and all but Why make a big deal out of that on the date he died? Celebrate his life and influence everyday if you feel he deserves it, the fact that he died on a certain date shouldn't matter.

Because I am one of a few million fans who still mourn his death to this day.

Edit: I wish had the power to close this thread, since i was wrong and stupid in creating it in the 1st place. I promise not to make anymore threads, or bother posting here.

Edited by Audio of Being

I'm not sure what stance i can take here. Granted, he was a talented musician and all but Why make a big deal out of that on the date he died? Celebrate his life and influence everyday if you feel he deserves it, the fact that he died on a certain date shouldn't matter.

how is making a thread about it making a big deal out of his death? haha.

i wasn't moping around all day 'cause john lennon died 27 years ago, i was just like 'oh hey. john lennon died. he was a good person, that sucks". and then i got pumped when they played a beatles song at the show i was at last night.

Because I am one of a few million fans who still mourn his death to this day.

Edit: I wish had the power to close this thread, since i was wrong and stupid in creating it in the 1st place. I promise not to make anymore threads, or bother posting here.

Seriously? Christing hit the nail on the head. As much as some of us are allowed to think one thing about this, you're allowed to think another. You not only started this thread but came to this message board in the first place to engage with other people about topics you're interested in, which is what's happening here. Relax. And another thing, your thread has inspired some moderately intelligent discussion, which is a much more effective tribute to John Lennon then if every board member just chimed in and said "yeah rest in peace" or "give peace a chance, man." He was a great guy, I honestly believe the world was probably worse off without him, he influenced music and pop-culture perhaps in ways that no other single person ever has. Okay, so what's next?

how is making a thread about it making a big deal out of his death? haha.

I didn't say that making this thread was "making a big deal about it" did I? I just said that I don't understand why people do make a big deal about it.