okkervil river - the stage names

quite possibly the best album lyrics in recent memory.

i write for my university's newspaper, and i did the top ten of the year, a few of them were:

lcd soundsystem - sound of silver

the most serene republic - population

sunset rubdown - random spirit lover

radiohead - in rainbows

menomena - friend or foe

wintersleep - welcome to the night sky

Call me crazy, but Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog.

crazy like a fox. that's a great album, too. but for me, the explosions one is a perfect album.

and whoever asked for the bt one, i got it today, as flac files. i can upload it in the album thread tomorry, as flac, and you can encode it however you wish. i'm reserving my opinion on it till i'm through it.

edit: great stuff. very chillaxing and lush. great closing track, too.

Edited by Some Random

grinderman is up there for me. i don't think i can pick a favorite overall, though. i've got a list in the works, and i'll post MP3s to go along with it.

i agree with some of the albums already listed, namely QOTSA, matt, and the national.

i'd also like to add:

spoon - gagagagaga

battles - mirrored

and

the dillinger escape plan - ire works

Yay for you being the only person I've generally agreed with.

The new QOTSA rocked me more than I figured it would.

That Spoon album is also pretty awesome. I've heard great things about Battles but not bothered to listen, much to my chagrin.

Stuff that's occupied the play list more often than not:

Matt Good, Grinderman, QOTSA (obviously)

Carina Round - Slow Motion Addict

jesu - pale sketches, life line (FYI Soundless Space, check these out, as they pretty much pwn Conqueror. The inclusion of Jarboe of Swans on life line eats my face every time.)

Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works (Not as amazing as Miss Machine, but pretty much trumps most other heavy releases)

High on Fire - Death Is This Communion (Massive points for association with Sleep, and former association with Melvins and Steve Albini)

Oceansize - Frames

The World/Inferno Friendship Society - Addicted to Bad Ideas

Other mentions probably include:

The Locust - New Erections

Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb

Ministry - The Last Sucker

And the entire Kyuss discography, which didn't come out this year, but dominated my listening habits for the entire year.

Edited by MuttersomeTaxicab

Weak......

And umm....Feist is in Broken Social Scene and she's been dating Kevin Drew for a while.

i dont think theres anyone here who doesnt know that she's in broken social scene.

also, glad to see you're so on the ball with canadian celebrity relationships. is rachel mcadams still dating that other canadian from breaker high?