Hyphnip

A Comic Nerd Vents

Okay, so Spider-Man unmasked, Kingpin put out a hit, the bullet hit Aunt May, she has been on her death bed for a year (our time, not comic time) and finally Mephisto (Marvel's version of the devil) makes a deal with Peter and MJ saying that he'll save Aunt May on one condition. No, he doesn't want theur souls, he wants their marriage! Thats right, The devil wants Peter and MJ's marriage because they have a love that comes along only once every thousand years. it was sanctioned by he who Mephisto hates most (the G man) and Mephisto thinks this'll be a good slap in god's face. so, do Peter and MJ get a divorce? Nope, Mephisto makes it so that they were never married. they dated and almost got married, but broke up for reasons unknown.

Now, Peter is an almost 30 year old bachelor living at Aunt May's house, nearly broke (because he stopped being spider-man a little while back because he was sick of JJJ getting rich off Spider-Man pics in his paper. Peter hangs out with his best friend (wait for it... wait for it...) Harry Osborne! Thats right, apparently, since Peter and MJ never got Married, Harry is alive again and has just been in Europe for awhile. Oh, and they also went so far as to undo Peters ability to naturally shoot webs (giving him back the web shooters) and also, even though Spider-Man DID unmask on TV, no one remembers who it was under the mask. And I almost forgot the new Villain!!! Mr. Negative, he looks just like a normal guy, but in negative art! oh, and his speech bubbles are black with white text instead of white with black text. Now THAT is creative!

It's not often that a comic is lame enough for me to vent about it (and I read The Last Fantastic Four Story) But i have to say that this is, without a doubt, the STUPIDEST comic story arc i have ever read! I stopped reading comics for about 7 years because my brother kept wrecking my comics, Spider-Man was the book that brought me back to the fold and it's sad to see how far it has sunk in just a few years. It's enough to make me want to stop reading Spider-Man all together (and there is a good chance I will)

Edited by Hyphnip

yeah i agree with you. normally these sorts of flubs happen slowly over time, and you're able to forgive them somewhat... but all at once? what bothers me the most is that they say their marriage and love being something that only comes around every 1000 years? jesus christ. with the amount of problems they've been through together, i don't think anyone would wish that kind of "love" on themselves.

while these changes might make for interesting plot twists and character development, i doubt that it will ever turn out that way. he needs a new venom. or something to shake the franchise up beside his unmasking himself.

how many months has it been since he revealed his identity? did they pursue that at all?

he unmasked around the end of 2006, lost his job at the school teaching because it was unsafe for the students, got his job back by wearing a blonde wig and goatee and calling himself Ben Riley. Aunt May getting shot was a by product of his unmasking as the bullet was meant for him.

other than that, the unmasking wasn't really developed into anything more than people knowing him

Okay nerds, one question.... if Galactus has the following power;

Recreation: ability to remake dead worlds, including populations, in every detail.

Then why doesn't get just eat one world\eat a world and re-create it?

i used to be a hardcore comic geek, but the past few years i've totally dropped the hobby, just not much to read & follow that stuff i guess.

Was this storyline in the Amazing Spider-Man (regular continuity), or Ultimate Spider-Man? I loved Ultimate Spider-Man until i stopped reading. Bendis rules. That Mephisto-marriage thing sounds dumb, but i'm glad they gave him back his web-shooters!

p.s. my fav comics include Darkhawk (my #1 all-time fav!), Moon Knight, Ghost Rider (classic 70's version), Sandman, Alan Moore Swamp Thing, Ultimate Spidey, and X-Men from the Giant-Size x-men era.

Any Darkhawk sightings lately? I heard he was in a "Runaways" series.

Well, I guess the only idea I can come up with there would be that if he eats a world, he eats the whole thing and there is nothing to bring back.

Then again, I suppose it's all theorizing. we'll never know unless someone addresses this issue in the comics.

I used to be into comics hardcore, but that ended a while back, while that whole New Avengers/Civil War thing was happening, the killing of Steve Rogers/Captain really never set well with me. And now this really stupid story arc of Spider Man really makes me angry, and I will be pulling even further back from the comics that I love. Spider Man has always been one of my favorites, and the writers just ruined one of the best heroes in my opinion.

Still I will continue to follow the Spawn series, that is the one that I still enjoy, and will enjoy until its end.