Crusader

Juno

juno wasn't as good as people are claiming it to be. the soundtrack was downright annoying, and the writing seemed like it was trying too hard to be cool, especially in terms of the shoddy teenage dialogue at the beginning. like it was far too concerned with being different and unique than it was about character or story for that matter.

the second half of the film makes up for all of that, though. i had an argument with eric and his woman about this, and didn't really know how to defend myself until my friend angelo posted a blog about his reading of the film and put it perfectly:

...what follows is an almost complete reversal sold not on quirks and one-liners but on a display of complex people showing their true cards in a complex situation. Everyone from the acerbic stepmother to the lovesick friend gets a moment to act out of character. The film, consequently, becomes richer for it, deepening from a teen pregnancy farce to a tricky movie about aging and responsibility -- not necessarily to a fetus, as you might think, but certainly to the people who love you. And, unlike the much more conservative masculine love-fest that was Knocked Up, it both respects the three strong women at its thematic centre and actually holds its male characters accountable for the relationships they enter into, in unexpected ways.

so despite its numerous flaws, when juno isn't so concerned with being endearing or making appeals to the "indie" crowd, it rocks.

i particularly enjoyed jennifer garner's performance, which is something i never thought i'd be saying.

Edited by borntohula

I agree, I found the dialogue to be a little irritating at the beginning, but you get used to it, I suppose. Their bedrooms also looked like Myspace threw up on the walls.

Personally, I found the soundtrack to be pretty interesting. For some reason, the movie has this very Wed Anderson-esque feel. Perhaps that might just me, though.

I didn't end up seeing this because my guy's roommate had seen it and said it would be an awkward movie for a date. I figured it would have been fine, but I was pretty indifferent to what we were going to see so we just took her advice. My bff wants to see it though, so we'll probably go at some point since everyone has been giving it such great reviews.

i love the moudly peaches and i think that it's pretty iconic music for who they are and what happened to them. fits perfectly.

the only thing that bothers me about it is that at the end of the movie when they're singing the song together and it's supposed to be all romantic and stuff... the song is about 2 friends that were once going out but the guy fucked up so now they're just friends again,r egardless of how they feel about eachother.

thats not something you sing to the person you're in love with.

that's just an interpretation though, a song is more than just the lyrics.

seeing as how they were used throughout the film, i'm more than certain that they were there more for mood and their gay "twee" sound than for people to necessarily listen to the lyrics.

not that i'm defending the use of the song or anything. i just wanted to point out that meaning is not static, especially when the context changes.

Lyrics very rarely fit with the movie, you just gotta go with the feeling that the song evokes, cause, usually, if you're listening to the lyrics, you've completely given up on the movie... unless you know the song. but that's why so few films use popular music that people already have an emotional connection with.

I saw Juno this afternoon and thought it was wonderful. I love Ellen Page, shes been doing interesting stuff for years now...

And I thought Jason Bateman was amazing. I would see the movie again just to watch his performance more.

juno wasn't as good as people are claiming it to be. the soundtrack was downright annoying, and the writing seemed like it was trying too hard to be cool, especially in terms of the shoddy teenage dialogue at the beginning. like it was far too concerned with being different and unique than it was about character or story for that matter.

the second half of the film makes up for all of that, though. i had an argument with eric and his woman about this, and didn't really know how to defend myself until my friend angelo posted a blog about his reading of the film and put it perfectly:

so despite its numerous flaws, when juno isn't so concerned with being endearing or making appeals to the "indie" crowd, it rocks.

i particularly enjoyed jennifer garner's performance, which is something i never thought i'd be saying.

Damnit....

Ditto on everything but Garner's performance.

I was hoping to rant ;)