so i downloaded a movie via torrenting and now i have 49 mini files that i assume are supposed to come together to make the movie. the files are titled filetitle.r01, .r02, .r03 etc.

how do i make them one big happy family?

i have to play it off vlc media player because i accidently deleted something off my computer so i had to download that.

My guess is they're winrar files. If that is the case and you have WinRar installed, you can open the first one and you should be able to extract it.

i kept meaning to reply here sooner, but i've been lazy and forgetful.

anyways... i downloaded said program and it included another thing for me to download as so it could play the converted files (or so it says) and after all that, it still didn't work, so i just gave up.

now i have pop-up ads happening everywhere and i don't know how to get rid of them.

Did you download it from the link I gave you? Because that's the official link from Winrar. I tried it and there was nothing to read video files. So I'm gonna take a stab and say that it was the unrar files that included a video reader.

When downloading from torrent, there are 3 steps to follow:

1-If using a website that allows comments, read them before downloading

2-Once downloaded, scan the downloaded file or folder with an anti-virus program.

3-If you're downloading media, never ever run anything that ends with .exe You should normally have everything you need on your computer.

And computers don't suck, people wanting to fuck them up do ;)

I would also follow Anton's advice and no do anything personnal for the moment. You now need to do damage control:

1-If you don't have an anti-virus software get one. Avast is free and works great. Install and update virus definition. If it asks you to run an scan when the computer restarts, say yes because it will scan before Windows starts which is always better.

2-When you're certain you don't have any viruses, get Spybot search and destroy and/or Ad-Aware. Update the definition and scan the computer to make sure you don't have any spywares on your computer.

3-Once everything is done, you should be OK.

i already had plenty o' virus protection, and i did the spybot dealio.. once yesterday and again today and i still get a pop up from this particular company thing, which is weird because i saw spybot deal with it in the first scan thing. maybe i enabled it again? how would i reverse that, if it is the case?

the ads are always labeled in the top corner with 'CiD: name of company or product'. but when the spybot dealie was doing its thing, it checked CiD off and i got happy because thats what i thought was the biggest problem. so either its a bigger problem than what spybot can deal with, i somehow allowed CiD to do its thing or these two Cid things are different.

I had something like that happen to me a few years back, and my Anti-virus program picked it up, but it could not fix it since it was in the registry. I had to go in manually and search for the .exes that were running the bad shit and delete them, hoping I didn't fuck with anything else in the process.

If you can't get a program to do you dirty work, snag a nerd and have him carefully inspect your registry. ;)