Muran

Rock Band!

Hope there isn't a thread for this already, but I wanted to start one because, daaaamn.

I got to play this for the first time yesterday, and I have never had that much fun playing a multi-player video game, EVER

For those of you who have played, what did you like, dislike?

Like: The karaoke part of it is awesome, even if you don't know the songs

Dislike: No Auto-bass for the drums. Although, I have to admit, compared to Drummania, the drums are quite easy. I normally play that game on auto-bass, but I started playing drums in Rock Band, at medium and I did fine on all but a couple songs.

Like: The songs are all full, just like in Guitar Heroes. I always hated that those Bemani games never had full-length songs...

Dislike: The selection of songs isn't great. There was only a handful of songs we knew, and most of those were purchased after, through the PS3 store. I had hoped they would have had some more female vocal songs...Although, I totally rocked "Learn to Fly" haha

I have some fabulous pictures of my friends and I playing too. I'll post them a bit later.

I want to know what you guys think of the game though!

Edited by Muran

Well, since I suck at guitar hero and I don't want to try my suckitude on the drums, I stick to singing. i find it's haarder to sing the songs you don't know (especially when playing on a small TV) but I have been fairly happy with the song selection (Say It Ain't So, Maps, The Hand That Feeds, Go With The Flow) but find that after playing for over an hour, it can get frustrating. I love the game though and really think I might buy it.

I've beat the game for drums on hard, going through expert now, it's great fun and the drums are spot on with the tunes. My only complaint about the music is that there's not enough metal, oh wells. I've also got one more song to beat on expert guitar to beat the game. The solo game is alright, but playing with friends is awesome, especially Roxanne by the Police.

Me and my friends get together and play for hours and I love it. I enjoy singing. I don't do drums too much. My complaint is that the guitar on medium is pretty easy except for those sick-ass hard songs. Bass guitar is way too easy but I can't go up to hard because I can't do the five button.

the drums are spot on with the tunes.

I know this is probably not what you mean, but I seem to be having trouble with the configuration of the drums, because it seems to off but just a tick with the music. It's spot on with the screen, but not with the music...

Does that make sense?

sure doesn't, but if you've never played drums before it can be hard to figure out the timing of beats. on medium I think it's just your basic 1,2,3,4 with snare on 2 and 4 and bass on 1,3 sometimes you throw in some &'s.

another complaint with the drums is that on harder difficulties the kit doesn't really register drum rolls so for parts with fills that use rolls I get owned because you can't hit the pads that quick and have them register you doing so.

sure doesn't, but if you've never played drums before it can be hard to figure out the timing of beats. on medium I think it's just your basic 1,2,3,4 with snare on 2 and 4 and bass on 1,3 sometimes you throw in some &'s.

another complaint with the drums is that on harder difficulties the kit doesn't really register drum rolls so for parts with fills that use rolls I get owned because you can't hit the pads that quick and have them register you doing so.

Well, I'm not having difficulties with the drum patterns at all. I'm used to playing Drummania, and regularly play it on "hard". I'm very good at it. I actually think that the drum parts of Rock Band are actually way too easy. If they ever release another Rock Band with auto-bass, I think the drums would be the shittiest part of the game...

I'm pretty much saying what you just said tho. The drum kit doesn't register very well.

My buddies bought this last week and I was supposed to go in on it but I guess one of them splurged and bought it with his own money. I'm still going to be the one stuck playing guitar. Not that it's a bad thing, but damn... just because I'm the one that's good at Guitar Hero doesn't mean that I should be the that's basically just going to feel like he's playing Guitar Hero 4.

Naw, I'm not really that bitter. I just want to use those sweet ass drums or belt into the mic.

My only complaint about the music is that there's not enough metal, oh wells.

i've only played Guitar Hero, and i kinda thought there wasn't enough variety in the songs, but i guess that's them trying to appeal to the greatest number of people possible..

Last time i played though i chose Avenged Sevenfold's "the Beast and the Harlot.." how does either Guitar Hero or Rock Band work? are the songs pre-programmed, or do you buy them from some database?

This is a lot like a program I downloaded a long time ago, before Guitar Heroes existed. It was based on the Guitarfreaks and Drummania engine, I guess is the word you'd use.

You didn't make your own songs, but there was a huge library of songs you could play Guitar and Drums for. It was kinda buggy, but if you had the 3rd party guitars and drum sets for the aforementioned Bemani brand games, and an adapter to plug it into your computer, it was a pretty fun game to play.

If they ever release another Rock Band with auto-bass, I think the drums would be the shittiest part of the game...

Okay, what is the point of 'auto-bass'? I don't mean to be a bitch, but if you aren't playing the bass, you aren't playing the drums. Bass is what makes it harder so taking it out seems pretty ridiculous.

Okay, what is the point of 'auto-bass'? I don't mean to be a bitch, but if you aren't playing the bass, you aren't playing the drums. Bass is what makes it harder so taking it out seems pretty ridiculous.

agreed, on expert there's so many triplets and irregular patterns during bridges that it keeps it interesting

Well, Rock Band is probably a little more true to actual drumming, than Drummania, which has auto-bass.

Drummania tends to be pretty wild, and it'll take forever to learn bass well enough to play the good songs, which is why the auto-bass exists. Gives players a chance to play songs they wouldn't normally. I suppose it's a cheat, but if it's fun, it's fun, and that's what video games are supposed to be for.

Ive had Rock Band since around Xmas. Its great. Get 3 or 4 friends together at someone's house and it is THE funnest multiplayer game experience you will ever have. And thats saying something because i've been a hardcore gamer since the Atari.

When my sister, her friend, and I first broke open the game we just had a blast. We'd fight over the mic when a song came up that we loved & wanted to sing. During "I Think I'm Paranoid" by Garbage we had a 4-part harmony going during the chorus (the 3 of us + the real singer from the game) as we all played our insruments, it sounded so cool. Awesome game!!

Been a fan of Guitar Hero since the start. The guitar parts in Rock Band are just not up to par to Guitar Hero, its just too easy. Drums is really fun, probably the best part. My sister is a real drummer but can't have a drumset in her apartment so she spends hours just hammering away in Rock Band. Took me awhile to learn how to properly hit the bass, but i got the hang of the drums & its great.

The downloadable songs are awesome too, new songs coming out each week. Downloaded the Metallica, Black Sabbath, and Oasis songs. One of the best things about Rock Band is that most of the songs are the original recordings & not covers like most Guitar Hero songs.

- If anyone needs a bandmate on Xbox Live my Gamertag is: Rambo 28

If u add me please include your username on NF in the invite so i know who you are.