Gomo

Bad Pennies

Judging from what you guys are saying I'm not sure what to expect from this song. It'll be hard to top Volcanoes and The Boy Who Could Explode.

This is likely my ranking of the demo songs.

The Boy Who Could Explode > Volcanoes > Silent Army In The Trees > Fought to Fight It > Bad Pennies

I always thought he was much more bitter during the Beautiful midnight years!

the lyrics were much stronger during beautiful midnight, bitter but such complexity these demos(well this song) and hospital music seemed to be written quickly and with a lot of anger, it hasn't had enough time to stew yet and a lot of junk pops out.

i'd love to hear it if someone had time to rip it and would like to pass it along!

The intricate bitterness of Beautiful Midnight cannot be compared to this new stuff. His more recent writing just seems much weaker in my opinion. I always found MG to have a hint of optimism behind the darkness, and that's what made him great. It seems like he's been dwelling a lot since the divorce.

Personally, I think as he get's older, he's also getting more bold, in the sense that he's willing to straight up say what's on his mind instead of, and I don't mean this to sound disparaging or like an attack on Matt's character, but instead of hiding his feelings and thoughts behind the metaphors on albums like Beautiful Midnight and the Audio of Being.

I completely agree. In the past, he's always thrown up a series of (no pun intended) smoke and mirrors to... maybe not mask what he's trying to say, but make it slightly more ambiguous. Ten years ago you would have never heard a song as blunt as She's In It For The Money.

Again, not that that's a bad thing. He's just getting older, as a person and a musician. I don't think his boldness or bluntness is a sign of weaker writing, I think it's just a sign of his head space now.

Personally, I think as he get's older, he's also getting more bold, in the sense that he's willing to straight up say what's on his mind instead of, and I don't mean this to sound disparaging or like an attack on Matt's character, but instead of hiding his feelings and thoughts behind the metaphors on albums like Beautiful Midnight and the Audio of Being.

Sounds like a fine perspective. There's nothing wrong with being blunt.

And I don't think it should be easy for anybody to knock the material on Hospital Music. I mean, that stuff came from a raw personal place...I don't necessarily think it was "written quickly" or "lacks depth."

I haven't even converted it yet. I'm sooooooooooo lazy.

That and I got so many PM messages (i almost said pms ;) ) over the last few days since these demos have been going up and I've totally lost track of who I've sent stuff to and who I haven't. I really have no clue anymore. Sorry. There were so many messages.

But ya know, if Matt didn't want these posted...doesn't it defeat the purpose if I just pm it to everyone?

After all, I don't want Matthew Good to get pissed off at me :angry: That would totally ruin everything.

Edited by Gomo