Gomo

Bad Pennies

Easy for you to say. Not everyone has the ability to "move on" from things that happen in their life with ease.

And like I said before, not everything has to be "deep" and verbose with hidden meaning in every syllable. I don't see a problem with being blunt once in a while.

Calling someone bad in bed is immature now? I don't see it. If you're saying he's doing it to get back at his ex wife, so what?

And I'm not so sure this is even about her. I mean, it could be about anyone. We don't know.

Edited by Gomo

ok. we've got a hardcore matt good blowjob artist here. i'll tone it down.

1. it's true. not everyone can move on from things that happen in their life. but publicly beating a dead horse doesn't help matters. be a doll and allow me to rephrase my post in layman's terms for you: "move on artistically" -- how about that? how about taking what you've learned and moving forward? how about progressing your craft instead of regressing? how about putting a little bit more thought into something instead of presenting it as if you're an amateur songwriter looking to get some radioplay and embarassing your ex at the same time?

2. you're right. nothing has to be deep and vorbose. you're probably a buckcherry fan. i like the music. i like the bluntness of it. but when i want something deep and powerful and moving, i look for matt good on my twenty-three-hundred-song-deep playlist.

given that matt is a proven musician noted for his lyrical depth, when he comes out and says "she's shitty in bed" straight up, in a song, he's doing two things: beating a dead fucking horse and using absolutely no artistic integrity to convey the message that he's 1. bitter and 2. see below

3. telling a world of people with whom have no business in knowing ones sexual tendencies that another person is bad in bed is absolutely immature. ESPECIALLY when that person singing the details was on the wrong end of a sexual affair.

listen, i'm just as much of a fan of matt good and his attitude and his songwriting abilities and his performances etc as the next guy. i think you're above and beyond that, and i think it will be hard for you; but step back and understand from an open perspective that the lyrics to this song are fucking terrible and only prove that matt (here's 2.: ) found a winning formula for selling records in hospital music and is trying to use it again.

ahh, that "tone it down" thing never works

ok. we've got a hardcore matt good blowjob artist here. i'll tone it down.

1. it's true. not everyone can move on from things that happen in their life. but publicly beating a dead horse doesn't help matters. be a doll and allow me to rephrase my post in layman's terms for you: "move on artistically" -- how about that? how about taking what you've learned and moving forward? how about progressing your craft instead of regressing? how about putting a little bit more thought into something instead of presenting it as if you're an amateur songwriter looking to get some radioplay and embarassing your ex at the same time?

2. you're right. nothing has to be deep and vorbose. you're probably a buckcherry fan. i like the music. i like the bluntness of it. but when i want something deep and powerful and moving, i look for matt good on my twenty-three-hundred-song-deep playlist.

given that matt is a proven musician noted for his lyrical depth, when he comes out and says "she's shitty in bed" straight up, in a song, he's doing two things: beating a dead fucking horse and using absolutely no artistic integrity to convey the message that he's 1. bitter and 2. see below

3. telling a world of people with whom have no business in knowing ones sexual tendencies that another person is bad in bed is absolutely immature. ESPECIALLY when that person singing the details was on the wrong end of a sexual affair.

listen, i'm just as much of a fan of matt good and his attitude and his songwriting abilities and his performances etc as the next guy. i think you're above and beyond that, and i think it will be hard for you; but step back and understand from an open perspective that the lyrics to this song are fucking terrible and only prove that matt (here's 2.: ) found a winning formula for selling records in hospital music and is trying to use it again.

ahh, that "tone it down" thing never works

Yes I'm a huge Matt Good blowjob artist -- whatever dude.

You don't need to put things in layman's terms for me. I'm not a retard. Don't patronize me.

If you have an issue with his "musical and artistic direction" that's your business. Don't blame me for not having a problem with it and not reading into it in such an analytical way. I wasn't necessarily blaming you for your view, nor did I attack you. I do disagree with it, though.

I don't think these lyrics he's written lately are particularly strong or insightful, but I'm not bothered by it as you clearly are. I mean, they're demos. This isn't exactly an album here. There's been no indication that these are going to be released in the future and it seems they've all come about rather quickly in the last few weeks as he's experimenting with Garageband. That said, if he's quickly writing and recording I don't expect the songs to be super quality anyway. I just take it for what it is: a quickly produced demo.

I have no idea who buckcherry is. I like deep and wordy music as much as the next music fan, but I don't need it all the time. The way you describe artistic integrity and songwriting and whatnot, you sound really pretentious and it's not about that. And as I said, we don't know that this song is about anyone in particular, therefore saying someone is bad in bed in this instance could be a totally trivial point and not even worth discussing.

Chill out big guy.

*PS I don't want to get into a big fight here. I think this is getting overblown.

Edited by Gomo

I missed it, but reading over the lyrics, I couldn't possibly care how "awesome" it *may* sound. Those lyrics are mega-awful.

I get really sick of some of my friends calling Matt Good's music "emo". But, lately, that's exactly what MG's music is sounding like.

matt found a winning formula for selling records in hospital music and is trying to use it again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Hospital Music is NOT selling that well. Ofcourse this is all relative... (it's not doing nearly as good as MGB stuff did) but even White Light would have gone gold and then some by now.

The reason Hospital Music is a success numerically is that it sold well digitally in the U.S.

Just because it was the number one record in Canada does not make it a success. It's not even on the top 200 anymore (whereas some records on that list have been around for over a year).

If he was going to use this 'winning formula' why not go re-write Beautiful Midnight? He won't. Love him or hate him Matt is going to do whatever he wants to do and not what he ought to do (financially speaking).

It's a process, Everyone who's ever had writers block knows this, you just keep writing no matter how shitty it is until something good comes out. You gotta look at these demos more as a brainstorm.

PS if it's possible, could someone send me the link. Please.

It's a process,  Everyone who's ever had writers block knows this, you just keep writing no matter how shitty it is until something good comes out. You gotta look at these demos more as a brainstorm.

PS if it's possible, could someone send me the link. Please.

Oh man is that ever true.

If you think about it, Hospital Music was so personal and in my opinion so relative to Matt's recent life that it pretty much monopolized all the good subject matter.

I mean what else is there beyond pouring your heart out in an attempt to explain the worst year of your life?

There's definitely more stuff to write about, but I agree with 'WhatAmNot" in that this may not necessarily be amazing stuff, but it is indeed a process. I can relate to that. It's kind of like kicking around different themes and ideas set to the music to see what could be used later on. And since we haven't paid for any of these demos I don't think we should get too offended by his lack of depth ;)

Edited by Gomo

It's a demo (that I've never heard). Seems like we're getting really worked up about a song that 1.) is subject to change and 2.) may never be released.

So I think we all need to relax, have a drink, and just enjoy the fact that Matt's giving us the opportunity to have some small insight in to the way he develops a song.

Speaking of which, anyone have a link to this one?

this is ridiculous...

1) found a formula that works? this new stuff is completely different from hospital music and as well anything hes done before, it's very experimental. Isn't that what part of this discussion is about? How he's parted too much from his old stuff, then you turn around and say that it's the same...

2) EMO? what the hell is that? of course this stuff (yes, even his new stuff, is far from emo. If you think emo is just like, writing about something sad, then that's just stupid. Emo is a genre for a reason. It's whining dumb lyrics that do not get backed up by what the band is playing (they like playing faster semi-poppy shit) while the singer just whines about shit with no agression or emotion backing it up, just so they can fall into the stupid ass trend. Matthew Good is not emo...far from it, just cause he writes a few songs about his divorce.

3) yes, he's experimenting, these are demos....

4) this conversation has become just stupid, state your opinion on the song and don't bash other people for liking it and wanting to enjoy it, if you don't like it then deal with it.

2) EMO? what the hell is that? of course this stuff (yes, even his new stuff, is far from emo. If you think emo is just like, writing about something sad, then that's just stupid. Emo is a genre for a reason. It's whining dumb lyrics that do not get backed up by what the band is playing (they like playing faster semi-poppy shit) while the singer just whines about shit with no agression or emotion backing it up, just so they can fall into the stupid ass trend. Matthew Good is not emo...far from it, just cause he writes a few songs about his divorce.

Emo is a music genre now? That's gross. Personally, I just meant MG is sounding emo, in that he's sounding like he's bitterly complaining/whining. There may have been merit to it, for a few songs here and there, but not this many...And particularly not the way he lyrically did it here. I felt like the lyrics made no effort. I understand it's a very rough cut, and I severely hope he's thinking re-edit.

4) state your opinion on the song and don't bash other people for liking it and wanting to enjoy it, if you don't like it then deal with it.

And that's exactly what I did. I didn't bash anyone. If *you* don't like it, then deal with it.

Knowing what we do about what's happened in Matt's life in the last couple years, I think it's understandable that most people's first reactions is that he's railing on his ex. Again. And the song is most likely, at least in part, trying to vent out those emotions. After getting the chance to listen to it a few more times and kinda digest it all, to me at least, it seems more like he's lashing out against people who emobody those qualities that he feels his ex has and it's kind of a "fuck, why didn't I see that coming?" sort of song.

I can see where people are coming from when they say they want him to move on creatively and artistically and that their sick of songs about his ex (although, I think when it comes down to it, there's really only 3, if you wish to include this one), but at the same time, writing these songs is probably helping him to move on and get past this personally, and maybe I'm just being too much of a humanist about this, but that's likely an important thing for him.

That's my two cents.

I understand the catharsis of writing a song about how he's feeling about his circumstances/situation, however, must he release every song he writes? Because it comes off like he's airing out his dirty laundry for everyone to see, which seems in bad taste to me.

If he feels like he needs to share his song with people, I would feel it more appropriate to perform it to people who are close to him, people who are intimately aware of his situation. Not the public, who only know what he tells us. It just seems...kind of skewed.

But as with everything said in this thread, these are simply opinions and thoughts.

Edited by Muran

Keep in mind he posted this on his myspace for less than a day and without drawing any attention to it. None of you would have known about it had I not made this thread.

He didn't exactly post on his blog and say "NEW SONG ON MYSPACE CHECK IT OUT GUYZ!" haha...

Emo is a music genre now? That's gross. Personally, I just meant MG is sounding emo, in that he's sounding like he's bitterly complaining/whining. There may have been merit to it, for a few songs here and there, but not this many...And particularly not the way he lyrically did it here. I felt like the lyrics made no effort. I understand it's a very rough cut, and I severely hope he's thinking re-edit.

what are you talking about? the word 'emo' became popular because of the genre emo music. and with the music came the 'emo' look.

*shrug* I didn't know that. I just knew of emo as a slang term for people who are just constantly overwhelmed by FEEELINGS. And have no other way of expressing said feelings, except in a fountain verbal diarrhea and various ventures of "creativity".

*shrug* I didn't know that. I just knew of emo as a slang term for people who are just constantly overwhelmed by FEEELINGS. And have no other way of expressing said feelings, except in a fountain verbal diarrhea and various ventures of "creativity".

I call that depression. There's a lot of nice drugs for it.