decomposinglight

U.s. Presidential Race

I'm an Obama fan too, and I'm glad you guys are. I know it's a little early and apparently "Hilary still has some fight in her"/"She's gearing up for Texas, Pennsylvania,..." I think Obama has the nomination. On all of the New stations and websites they have his picture up with McCain's, as if it's been decided and they're running against each other finally. If hella face time and Barack-o-Mentum are good for nothing, I'll eat my shirt.

Its scary Huckabee got this far.

Indeed, but it's also kind of funny in a sad way, because he's still running and it's mathematically impossible for him to win now that Romney practically handed all of his delegates to McCain.

Maybe it was the Colbert bumb that kept Huckabee afloat? OR GOD POWER?!

I can't see how you're not optimistic. I mean, ANYONE in the white house is better then Bush. I personally like Obama, and if I had a vote, it'd be him.

Well, sure, but I was hoping it wouldn't be someone merely better than Bush, but actually someone good. I guess between Clinton and Obama, I'd have to choose Obama, but I certainly don't consider myself a big supporter of his.

As many know, the president does make many decisions, often though, its the policy people around them that have the most influence and often this means no major changes to American foreign or domestic policies.

The policy people would all be ultimately accountable to Obama. He's the head of state, head of gov't, and Commander In Chief of the military. His Secretary of Defense or some General in the Pentagon can't go above the President.

In the U.S. system of gov't, the President has very weak powers relative to the legislative & judicial branches. It is widely regarded that the President of the U.S. is the weakest (or one of the weakest at the very least) executive heads of government in the world relative to the rest of the government.

If Obama is elected, he can change foreign policy to a fair degree, but domestically he can do very little without Congress. As many may know, the President of the U.S. can't actually table any laws or legislation (unlike Canada's P.M.), somebody in Congress has to do it for him, and then they still have to vote for it.

I think if Obama's elected, he will be able to make a lot of changes both foreign and domestic as long as the American people seem mostly in favour of the changes, since Congress usually will feel strongly urged to approve legislation if its popular even if they or their party isn't in favour of it.

I hope Obama can change things such as electoral reform, health care, lobby groups, & or course foreign policy. I just hope he is as he appears & isn't just flapping his lip like most politicians.

The policy people would all be ultimately accountable to Obama.  He's the head of state, head of gov't, and Commander In Chief of the military.  His Secretary of Defense or some General in the Pentagon can't go above the President.

This statement makes sense in a perfect world, but look at Reagan, he barely knew what the hell his policy advisor's were telling him to give the green light on, this makes the head of state ultimately responsible but that is totally meaningless in the U.S. If Americans who want to impeach a president for multiple reasons such as the international crime of aggression i.e. the invasion of Iraq, or torture, or wire-tapping, or the countless other scandals but get stonewalled by BOTH parties in Congress then this doesn't mean much.

Both parties had Congresswomen/men implementing articles of impeachment for Bush, none were ever successful.... get a blowjob from an intern though...

In the U.S. system of gov't, the President has very weak powers relative to the legislative & judicial branches.  It is widely regarded that the President of the U.S. is the weakest (or one of the weakest at the very least) executive heads of government in the world relative to the rest of the government.

I'd say that again, on paper, this statement is true, but look at all the executive orders/privilages Bush has used, TONS and has actually been the most active executive in office in American history, they need the legislative branch and judicial branch yes, but when the judicial is filled with presidential appointees from other republican governments and the legislative branch lets you run roughshod over the Constitution, then, you can do what the hell you want.

If Obama is elected, he can change foreign policy to a fair degree, but domestically he can do very little without Congress.  As many may know, the President of the U.S. can't actually table any laws or legislation (unlike Canada's P.M.), somebody in Congress has to do it for him, and then they still have to vote for it.

I'm not saying he can't, im saying he's choosen policy advisors that suggest he won't dramatically change American foreign/domestic policy, it will likely get slightly better, but it won't be anything drastically better then the U.S. has seen in a good 70 years.

Edited by supercanuk

I'd say that again, on paper, this statement is true, but look at all the executive orders/privilages Bush has used, TONS and has actually been the most active executive in office in American history, they need the legislative branch and judicial branch yes, but when the judicial is filled with presidential appointees from other republican governments and the legislative branch lets you run roughshod over the Constitution, then, you can do what the hell you want.

I'm not saying he can't, im saying he's choosen policy advisors that suggest he won't dramatically change American foreign/domestic policy, it will likely get slightly better, but it won't be anything drastically better then the U.S. has seen in a good 70 years.

I totally agree with you that you can do practically anything when you stack the courts. The Judicial Branch is probably the strongest branch of government if you make it in your image, let alone the fact that they have the final say on practically every issue (recounts and abortion, to name a few).

I also agree that the policies may not make leaps and bounds, but they will certainly take on a more youthful form than Hilary's. I find that most people in power, from governors to representatives all the way down to town mayors, are on average 30 to 50 years older than the people whose policies they are voting on. That makes the government inherently backward, and provides for little change. If the gap between the old and the young lessens with progressive attitudes under Obama's administration, coupled with the rise of technological advancement in the future, the U.S. will certainly experience more poignant changes.

My gut agrees with you. I don't think he is quite the "change" man he claims to be, though i think he'll still try & will be a refreshing change from what we've had the last how many decades??

But Obama is not a straight talker. He seems honest in what he says, but he holds a lot of things back. People like Kucinich & Mike Gravel are more straight-talkers for the Democrats & call out the other Democrats for their failures & take a big stand on stances that might make them less electable. But Obama always stops short of saying the really hard truth, that which is true but what may be politically unpopular. Hopefully he is just doing this because he is a keen politician & knows not what to say in order to get elected. On the other hand, he could very well be using his keen politician skills & personallity to shove some bullshit down our throats & most of the status quo will remain the same in Washington.

I just really hope not, and at this point with the candidates left all we can do is hope the President becomes who he's advertising.

I don't think you win votes by telling the truth. You win votes by criticizing the here and now, and painting a shiny picture of the future. On the other hand, while in office, you get the people's trust by telling them the truth. Then again I doubt most U.S. citizens that know anything of U.S. history TRULY trust the president.

I feel like Clinton is to snotty and arrogent, and I feel like Obama preaches more than states a plan of action, and makes to many promises.

I can definitely see where you're coming from on that one.

I can barely listen to Hilary Clinton because of how much of a conniving bitch she comes off as. It may sound stupid, but I wouldn't want to see her as president because I can almost see myself being able to stand a Bush speech (with all of the awkward pauses and mispronunciations) more than hers. I did like Bill, but I also don't want to see another Clinton in the White House right now (need some new faces!!). And all of the attacks on Obama by her are just getting so catty.

As for Obama, I do get tired of hearing all of the hope stuff sometimes. It's a great message, and does have policy behind it (I'll not try to sway you off the fence, but I suggest you do look at both of the Democratic candidates' policies), but I want more than a sound clip president. I assume he says similar things in speeches in order to excite and attract more people to his campaign, but it gets old.

I still think Obama is the lesser of the evils, hands down.

UPDATE: Nader. again.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/st...=4336298&page=1

Nader is a joke, he should know his place and stay out.

I totally agree, and especially because he sounds like a real douche in that interview. Nader, in that interview = "HAW HAW I'M SO GREAT YOU NEED ME OBAMA CAN SUCK ME!" I hope people are smart enough this time that his entry will be downplayed and/or they don't vote for him - they actually decide between a candidate that has a chance of winning so as not to detract from the "REAL" candidates' votes.

I voted for Obama in the primaries. Hopefully he takes the nomination.

I couldn't vote for him in the primaries because I'm 3 hours from my house and I don't have a car, but I got people to vote for him in my place! ;)

I voted for Obama in the caucuses. I really think he's a better choice over Hillary. I just know that the world has had enough of the republican nightmare here. I think Nader needs to just shut up and stay home. He does this shit just to mess up the process. I personally think he's on the republican payroll.