Guest Prosis

Is This Revolting?

That cop is a fucking asshole. Those kids didn't do anything (and did not say anything, especially anything out of place for their generation). Not only is it untrue that they can't skate "anywhere," but I'd say he unlawfully handled the boy when he took him to the ground, let alone taking the skateboard.

I do love how at the end the cop is worrying that he'll be on YouTube, and he totally is. Maybe that's some payback... but I'm sure these kids had to go through much more of this awkward berating from the cop.

A similar thing happened to two of my friends. They were outside a 24hour Walgreens at about 11pm and they found that the large poles at the end of parking spaces that prevent you from driving into the store had covers on them. They thought that was pretty cool so they took the plastic piece off and hit each other with it for a few seconds, then put them back as they realized they probably shouldn't be doing that. Then a cop pulls up and arrests them for "attempted vandalism" yelling at them in much the same fashion about how they are going to get 120 hours of community service and go to court and have this on their record. He made them call home and had their parents pick them up. He said wait 2 weeks for a subpoena. Nothing happened. This is because cops have no jurisdiction on the private property of a business if the business owner declines to press charges - the manager didn't give a shit. The cop was just being an ass. Unfortunately both of my friends got punished by their parents for this bullshit, one of them for 2 months which included his birthday. >.<

Cops have way to much liberty/authority to fuck with people, in my opinion. If they're having a bad day, they can find something wrong in whatever you're doing, even when no cop in his right mind would normally try to arrest you. Now, I know this isn't true for a majority of cops (I have the utmost respect for those cops, keeping the laws in tact; one of my martial arts instructors is a cop), but it's completely unnerving when I continually hear stories of police brutality.

Oh, and for the record, I wasn't raised with a foot in or out of my ass. I was ignored. ;)

Edited by decomposinglight

That made me want to vomit.

I call my boss "dude" all the time. He loves it ;)

Seriously though, it's annoying how skateboarders get such a bad rap. I don't think it's any more irritating than say a biker or a rollerblader...

Off topic, but over in gatineau they have scooter gangs (since you can ride one at 16 and they're all hardcore french canadian gangsters apparently).

Revolting? A minor injustice maybe, and poor judgement for the officer...but nothing to get too worked up about.

as much as i don't like the power tripping that police sometimes pull, you have to remember that they are an authority. some demand a higher level of respect than others, some just want to identify with the youth. to each their own. they're human and they've all gone through the same testing to be in that position. they all have a role in the community.

for ever cop that pours out your booze on friday night, there's one who turns a blind eye. for every driver that gets nailed for not using his turn signal theres one that gets away without so much as a warning.

all officers demand a certain level of respect, some will not tolerate being called 'dude'. if you want the cops to stay off your back and not give you a hard time, set the tone by showing them what they want to see. everyone has the ability to make a good first impression using their best judgement as you are not the one in control ALL THE TIME.

Edited by mr. smithee

But the violence the officer uses...isn't this troubling to say the least?

Sure. But I have no doubt that incidents like that happen daily in North America. Some worse, some not so bad, but all the time...there's just not always a camera around. It's always been that way, and it always will. A police vehicle was videotaped participating in an illegal street race against a WRX not too long ago. Nothing came of that either.

Looking back on it (aside from having either a. a bad hair day or b. being an older gentleman in a horrible position as a city cop where he thus becomes a complete douche), it sort of seems like the cop was asking for a fight - asking for the kid to talk back. When he walks up, you can already tell he's going to let them have it and he starts insulting the kid's parents saying that his dad should have disciplined him more and stuff. When you proceed to insult someone's parents (whether or not they actually have them), you're totally asking for it.

This makes me think... could a cop go in there and be verbally abusive with someone to the point that they'd retaliate, attempting to get him into trouble and knowing the whole time what he was doing? Interesting..

I think humans are not made for power...it fucks them up and makes them arrogant.

No matter the amount of power as well...who hasn't met a cinema security agent checking you bags like he's working for the CIA? Look at politicians. How many humans in history have become "superior" to others when given power.

Yeah I've seen it myself: "Hop hop hop, not so fast sir, show me what's in your bag."

You know, I'm in Montreal known for being an important source of illegal movie recordings so, they sort of become light headed with..."power"

We have the same things in Virginia, US, especially on big movie releases. In addition to the people checking your ticket and ripping the extra piece off before entering the concessions/cinema area, they will have guards in front of theatres checking your ticket AGAIN to make sure you're not switching sittings and sometimes checking your bags.

I think humans are not made for power...it fucks them up and makes them arrogant.

So true.

What's funny is that I carry a knife around all the time - not too big, about 3 inches. I recently went to DC to 3 museums and had by bag checked. They don't check worth shit, and I could be in there fucking up their art/dinosaur bones (whether or not they are art prints or fake bones, they're still valuable museum property..), let alone slashing people. ;)

The cop is a fucking bully. That's sad that he has nothing better to do than to pick on kids...I've spent quite a bit of time in Baltimore on business...the words shithole and cesspool come to mind...he definitely had better things to do. Jackass.

As for the cinema cops...I find it hysterical, there are so much better things to be done with one's time. Pathetisad really.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Baltimore on business...the words shithole and cesspool come to mind...

The one good thing about Baltimore: the aquarium! YAY!

SPOILER:

SPOILER (Highlight to View)
I learned that babies come out of vaginas on a trip back from that aquarium.. Good times!

i would shoot that man, if afforded the opportunity.

i'm not threatening, i'm just saying, i would kill officer riveria and feel absolutely no remorse.

police need to be hung. they're strung out on power everywhere, as far as i've ever heard and personally experienced.

that said, "if i find myself on you..." is fucking hilarious.

What kind of a stupid generalization is that? police are the people who protect our rights, and our rights are what make this a civilization.

It looks like he's overreacting but, to be fair, you're obviously not seeing what happened it its full context. For all we know, that officer could have warned those punks every day for a week. And it looks like the kid "didn't hear" the officer when he told them to stop. He was also talking back and resisting when hte officer was trying to confiscate the skateboard.

What about the rights of the property owner, who doesn't want punks loitering, scaring off people who want to walk by the pier, and scuffing up the nicely done pavement ? The officer obviously has no tact and shouldn't be threatening little kids, but you can bet those kids won't come back!

Edited by heyrabbit

I somehow doubt, that riding skateboards is not allowed "anywhere." Of course, the cop may not even know whether or not skating is allowed there or anywhere, but would just as soon assume not. I don't skate, but I am a photographer, which also carries legal questions with it. Most of the times a cop, or some sort of security guard, or even regular citizen confronts a photographer, because they don't like that a person is photographing, they will say that it's illegal, when it usually isn't. I often wonder, if they are just lying, and hope the bluff will chase away the photographer, or they really just don't know.

I agree that police are here to protect our rights, but you have to admit, they can go awry. And that's what happened here. Talking back? The kid sounded as meek as a mouse. As for resisting the confiscation, so would I! I don't want someone taking my personal belongings! If, as a young man, skateboarding was your favourite thing, would you want your skateboard taken away? No. And if skateboarding were illegal the officer would have taken away all of their skateboards (I can say that I know some places where it is illegal, though, usually in small towns). He focused solely on the young man, insulting his family and his upbringing along the way.

Property owner? The property was the city's. And I would hardly call the boys punks, they didn't seem to be scaring anyone away, and if you've seen Baltimore, you'll realize that anything "nicely done" is scarce. These kids seemed to be on the suburban side; they weren't city gangsters with bandanas toting guns and harassing women. They probably won't come back, yes, but is that fair? They should be able to walk, bike, skateboard, etc. around the town just like anyone else, without fear of this cop or his cronies.

I can attest to the corruption of male security with the following article: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/28/nipple.ring/index.html