lokee

The Vancouver National Anthem

Based on his blogs about Vancouver, I have to think this song embodies his feelings on the subject pretty well. There's also an element in it that may be in reference to his homeless friend that died recently. Writing about Vancouver is a logical step forward, in my opinion.

I'd like to visit the city someday. I've heard from many Canadian friends that it's really nice -- even if it's got 4 times as many break-ins as my city.

Based on his blogs about Vancouver, I have to think this song embodies his feelings on the subject pretty well. There's also an element in it that may be in reference to his homeless friend that died recently. Writing about Vancouver is a logical step forward, in my opinion.

I'd like to visit the city someday. I've heard from many Canadian friends that it's really nice -- even if it's got 4 times as many break-ins as my city.

break in stats are a tricky thing, about a year ago in calgary, by the calgary sun no less (we all know the sun media's credibility ;) ), ranking how dangerous the neighborhoods in the city were. my neighborhood was the worst, go figure. expensive neighborhood, most dangerous area according to the calgary sun...until you look at how it was calculated. you see the neighborhoods all around mine were about halfway down the list. the sun used per capita results, and considering my area is one of the smallest in all of calgary, it swayed the results. if there were to have been 5 break and enters in my neighborhood, and 5 in the next one over that is 3 times as big, mine would show a VERY significant increase in chart position. meanwhile, area's in the rougher part of the city that are 6-7 times larger and have 20 break and enters, are nowhere near the top, and brand new neighborhoods that aren't even filled with residents have 1 or two, putting them in the safest area.

there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. it all depends on how you want to spin a story.

damnit! this is irritating! I keep missing them!

and just release another album and come back to Winnipeg!!! Thats all I really want. well, that and for George Bush to be captured and imprisoned for all eternity in some Arab country without anyone knowing where he is.

well, that and for George Bush to be captured and imprisoned for all eternity in some Arab country without anyone knowing where he is.

LOL. Sending off the crazy war-monger only worked with 2 tries for Napoleon... but maybe, just maybe, somebody can get it right this time. ;)

As for the song.... I hate how these are up for like 2 seconds! Gah, I bite Matthew Good's dust once again. *shake fist* I'll get you someday!

First (very rough) stab:

Vancouver National Anthem

Out of the allys

Are needle-strewn fields

Into the sunlight

The brochures reveal

Like snakes come for rabbits

And rabbits for meals

Where the ore and the axe (????) flies

Well this is our story (stick too it!)

But it ain't the truth

Cuz the truth's just for liars

That need an excuse

Around here love's a gangster

And charity's the brute

Where God deals on Sundays

Under a brilliant (??) burning roof

It's 5 blocks of universe

And aliens for reach (??) (alien freaks?)

Like invisible ghettos

Of privelege and grief

And we end up between them

The carrion flies

living off skeletons

And free (???)

This is the place we find out

Well this is the way we find out

We all live downtown

Pay 12.50, no parking

Live with a clown

Step over ourselves

We all live downtown

Paying blood, no parking

Sleep on the ground

Step over ourselves

We all live downtown

We all die downtown

Step over ourselves (over ourselves)

Well this is our story (stick too it!)

But it ain't the truth

Cuz the truth's just for liars

That need an excuse

For a King crown a banker

The Queen crowned a noose

Like heirs to a graveyard

Where the dirt's always loose

It's 5 blocks of universe

And aliens for reach (??) (alien freaks?)

Like invisible ghettos

Of privelege and grief

And we end up between them

The carrion flies

Picking on skeletons

Under a big northern sky

This is the place you find out

Yeah this is the way you find out

We all live downtown

We all die downtown

Step over ourselves

Edited by Prometheon

Dunno how credible that is but I hope he didn't take it down because he knows people at NF have been recording them.. >.<

That's what I'm afraid will happen. I'm compelled to just disappear when these demos get posted from now on so I don't get in trouble.

"Umm… you guys? Matt didn’t take it down.

Someone broke in and stole it."

That's either:

1) fucking retarded.

2) a lame joke.

3) both.

You can't "steal" a streaming Flash file and, in such a way, remove it off of a website. Matt took it down, which is why he added the note "Too late. So sorry."

If Matt were concerned about folks capturing the songs, he wouldn't offer them. (Matt has certainly been aware that capturing was possible since at least "Fought to Fight It" - I believe Anton asked him if he could post it in the NF Store, and Matt asked him not to.) Unfortunately, that's the only real way to guarantee that demos and whatnot stay private. For better or worse, anything streamable is capturable. (And I know for a fact that Gomo's not the only one capturing them.)