Hey,

I have heard Matt say in the past that he was influenced by Talk Talk. I got some of their stuff, but I am not hearing anything great. Can someone suggest some good songs or is it just one of those Elvis Costello to punk bands things where you needed to live it at the time for it to make sense?

Maybe he just likes to talk a lot? o.O Gotta give him the benefit of the doubt if he hasn't spent any of the points.

On that note I agree with hula; you don't need to have lived in the 70s to enjoy Elvis Costello. It might be a generational thing in the sense that younger people may not be exposed to it and their tastes are different, but I certainly love a lot of older bands: Beatles, Who, Led Zep, Doors, etc.

And honestly I've never heard any Talk Talk. Sorry.

Matthew has brought my attention to Talk Talk (Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock) and after giving it some chance I have come to appreciate some of their stuff. I'm not really into New Wave so I am staying away from anything before those two albums but I really like some of their biblical and spiritual themes and quite a bit of the music on them has a certain beauty to it. It's something I have to be in a certain mood for though as it's far from immediate and a lot of it is very laid back and subtle. It doesn't follow any specific format. It's different from most of the music I listen to and it can be boring at times but often times it's quite peaceful and relaxing. My favourite overall between the two is Spirit of Eden and the song I Believe In You is the most powerful to me.

I can see Matthew Good being a big fan when I think about it. I think Beautiful Midnight definitely has some similar qualities with creating a thick mood and subtle moments and there was quite a bit of organ used in MGB which Talk Talk used a lot. I'm sure influence can be seen elsewhere but that album as a whole seems the most representative to me. Extraordinary Fades from the new album is quite reminiscent and someone said it was the closest he's gotten to Talk Talk.

I'm listening to Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden right now for the first time. I can definitely see the similitude with Non Populous and some of this stuff, with the lonely piano pieces etc.

Pretty moody, atmospheric stuff. Very jazzy. Pretty cool shit, but these guys had some balls to release this stuff as some of it is just a lot of nothing.

Yeah, that's the most risky thing I think I've heard from a band that was on a big record label and had some pretty big hits. I really respect what they did, choose not to follow any expected formats or styles and totally just did their own thing. Just nice easy flowing pieces of music. Nothing specific you can really pinpoint it as. I wouldn't really call it rock, jazz, or pop, just music.

I've always enjoyed 80s music, and Talk Talk are one of my favourites. They started out all poppy and ended up all trippy (Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are two great albums, albeit much different from The Party's Over and It's My Life.) Some recommended Talk Talk tracks would be It's My Life, Life's What You Make It, The Rainbow, April 5th, and Time It's Time.