HoboFactory

Burning Cd's With Itunes

I honestly don't get it. I burn CD's so that I have my music to listen to in my car, but it seems like 60-70% of the time, the CD's don't work quite right. Sometimes, when the CD is burned, the first song skips real bad, the next few are even worse, and only the last half of the CD is good. Sometimes, the CD comes out just fine from start to finish, and nothing is wrong with any of the tracks. This all happens with Sony brand CD-R's. I thought maybe this is an issue with the type of CD's, as this is sometimes the case. I tried TDK CD-R's, which yield different, but even more peculiar results. Sometimes, the CD player tends to freeze at certain part of a track and not allow me to skip track or pause or anything, sometimes the CD player would go to pause all on it's own, or when skipping track 4, it will actually somehow skip to the middle, or end of track 11, or something like that. But again, it is primarily the second half of the CD's that's playable. Is there something wrong with the way Mac comps burn CD's, or is it the iTunes that works like crap for CD burning? I don't think it's the CD player, because that seems to play regular (real) CD's just fine, and does play some of the burned ones as well, from the same manufacturer and spindle as the ones that don't play right.

I don't think it's specifically the mac that's the problem, because they use the same writers that some other machines do. I guess it might be a little different, but it's more likely that something is wrong with the program itself.

I would assume that it's iTunes, because I've had similar problems when running iTunes on Windows XP. You can troubleshoot by going to iTunes, clicking help, and then "Run Diagnostics." I'm sure you're good with things like this, but make sure all of your updates are installed (some people stupidly never turn off their macs and the updates never get installed...).

If you've done all of that and tested a few more brands of cds, I think it's time for a change of pace. I use Roxio or another program to burn cds, because iTunes has a tendency to fuck things up massively.

True, but winamp has ads and stuff now that it's owned by AOL, unless of course you buy the subscription. It's probably just easier to burn cds in another program and keep using iTunes for syncing, at least if you're inexperienced. The conciseness of one program is preferable if you're inclined to download another app and are technologically intelligent, like Crusader.

Get Toast. It's awesome. It's way better than iTunes.

I downloaded it off of a torrent.

I've actually never had a problem with burned cd's off of iTunes.

But if you buy songs off of iTunes, the only way that you can burn them is via iTunes.

But I recommend Toast.

But if you buy songs off of iTunes, the only way that you can burn them is via iTunes.

But I recommend Toast.

I'm pretty sure that if you can manage to burn the cd using iTunes, and upload them to a computer with the subscription version of Winamp, it will make them into mp3s per your request. Also, there are the totally-not-free programs that convert the protected iTunes files into mp3s.

Toast sounds good. mmm.

Never had a problem... but toast might be a good option... I suppose we should check if you are running iTunes on a Mac or on a PC. Another option to check is to scale back the write speed to 1 or 2 steps lower than maximum. If you're machine has a minor buffer underrun, then some of the track data could be getting corrupted.

That's all I really know.

"totally-not-free"

Everything's free on the net if you look hard enough. Plus I'm sure someone has developed a program to convert the protected iTunes files into mp3s

EDIT: Quick look on Google, haven't tested it as I don't buy music or use iTunes.

http://www.m4p-mp3.com/

EDIT 2: Another quick look for a replacement for iTunes.

http://www.songbirdnest.com/

Hope this all helps out

Edited by Azalroth

Another option to check is to scale back the write speed to 1 or 2 steps lower than maximum. If you're machine has a minor buffer underrun, then some of the track data could be getting corrupted.

Yeah, sometimes that works. It worked for me a few times before the error came back on my XP-iTunes setup. Good suggestion!

Everything's free on the net if you look hard enough.

Well, of course. ;)