Guest Prosis

XP Pro Or Vista

Which of these should be on my PC  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these should be on my PC

• Windows XP Pro
    • Windows Vista Home Premium

Guest Prosis

So I have a laptop. It came with Vista Home Premium pre installed. But it's been making a very high pitched low volume sound that's really annoying but which I seem to be the only one to hear. I sent it back to the company for repair twice but it's still doing it.

Thing is, it only does it with Vista or any recent Linux distribution installed. XP Pro works like a charm (and silently). I also fear that the noise may be pointing to a problem that may appear later on and maybe faster if I keep using an OS that makes it noisy. So my guess is to use the OS that makes the noise "disapear" which is XP Pro (os that I love). But I also love Vista's cool features and tweaks and especially since SP1 resolves most bugs. It works like a charm. But it makes the noise.

What would you guys do. Put back XP Pro or keep Vista and see what happens?

Guest Prosis

Yeah I know Vista has a lot of issues, but like I said, the SP1 gets rid of a lot of those...other than that, I do agree that XP is pretty much the best. But I'm starting to find it a little boring.

And technically it's not too shitty to run Vista. It's got all the right specs (and it's a good thing it's not to shitty, the thing's a year old! ;))

Edited by Prosis

Yeah I know Vista has a lot of issues, but like I said, the SP1 gets rid of a lot of those...other than that, I do agree that XP is pretty much the best. But I'm starting to find it a little boring.

And technically it's not too shitty to run Vista. It's got all the right specs (and it's a good thing it's not to shitty, the thing's a year old! ;))

yeah, but, when you're in a folder, there isn't a button that you can press to take you to the folder above, like in xp.

if this were a grade out of 100, that would take twenty points off, immediately. that is really really fucking annoying, coming from xp to vista, and not being able to do a very simple task.

Hm...yeah, it's still there, and it additionally lets you ump up several levels in the path...but it is different, yes. some time in the next few days I'm going to have to reinstall Vista because it has stopped recognising new hardware half the time, and MSN as well as various games creash often. That said, I expect most of the blame can be attributed to my old video card which is apparently damaged and forced me to hard reset the system hundreds of times in the past few months.

I use Vista and I have no problems. I used to get the BSOD when a former iTunes version tried to upload photos to an old iPod.. but that was Apple's fault for not releasing compatible software.

It's all good in the neighbourhood.

If you're having problems, though, go with XP.

Edited by decomposinglight

Guest Prosis

Nah it's only a matter of noise, it's nothing too bad. I got it checked twice and I seem to be the only one who hears it so, it's all good! ;)

And Anton, Vista SP1 is not as revolutionary as XP Sp2 was, but it really makes things easier.

Combine it with turning off background defrags and deactivating UAC and you've got a great OS.

And for Vista haters, remember that XP Pro was hated by many when it came out. As always with many OS's, let time do it's trick! :angry:

I personally, even pre-SP1, have never had any big problems with Vista.

Edited by Prosis

Guest Prosis

lol yeah and it magically comes back when I'm on XP ;)

To deactivate the UAC, look at this video: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/334297/how_t...e_uac_in_vista/

(and try not to lose your concentration over the "Mate1" ad on the right :angry:

Then the fucking security center will tell you that UAC is deactivated. So follow this-> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/turn_off_secu...nter_alerts.htm to turn it off.

lol yeah and it magically comes back when I'm on XP :angry:

To deactivate the UAC, look at this video: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/334297/how_t...e_uac_in_vista/

(and try not to lose your concentration over the "Mate1" ad on the right :angry:

Then the fucking security center will tell you that UAC is deactivated. So follow this-> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/turn_off_secu...nter_alerts.htm to turn it off.

Hey, magic is REAL.

It was an ad for Vonage, then I refreshed and got a RewardTV trivia ad. Darn. *shakes fist*

I love how the first tutorial assumes you're in Vista View and the second one assumes you're in Classic View. ;)

Anyway, thanks! There's so much inaccurate information out there on how to do this; I'm surprised anyone gets it done!