That actually happens to my boyfriend a lot, but it boots back up after a few tries of opening and closing the case at 10 second intervals.

If you call Apple, they will suggest that you hold down the start key for 10 seconds in order to reboot. If that doesn't work, they will tell you to disconnect all accessories and cords, then plug back in only the power cord. Then they will tell you to press the power button while holding the mouse or "pointer" down OR while holding the

"c" key on the keyboard. If none of that works, they will go "hmmmmm."

That's all I know. Good luck.

Edited by decomposinglight

what's the difference between shutting down and blacking out instantly?

normally when the battery is dying, the screen will turn off and then the computer will shut down. but it just shut down this time. it's happened before but after half an hour it turned back on.

i've done everything dlite suggested just after it happened.

it sucks.

Shutting down is where it's not even on, blacking out is where it's dormant (black screen, grey screen, something like that) but the hard disk is still searching/processor is running/etc. Usually the blacking out can be cured by flipping the case up and down, but it seems like your situation might be more complex.

I would call Apple if it's still acting up; your hard disk could have gotten corrupted by a program it didn't agree with. An Apple rep told me that a vast percentage of all problems with Macs are due to corruption... And at least they're nice even if they're in India. ;)

Again, I'm not sure about your power situation, but it doesn't sound like the battery is dead. You seem like a smart person, too, but sometimes people do forget to plug that shit up. In fact, my HP power cord comes in 2 parts, and for a few hours I thought the cord was broken. I kept checking the connection to the wall socket and to the computer. Turns out it was disconnected in the middle. I know Mac cords are all in one piece, but you know what I mean - pebkac (personal error between keyboard and chair). ^^

Well that's not quite what I meant, but I'm applying PC stuff to a mac here. by black out I emnant instant power loss, hard shutdown. As for actually shutting down, a softer, sequenced shutdown where services are stopped and some notification is given.

Hrm... No AppleCare plan? I would suggest it next time if you do a lot of surfing and/or you install 3rd party programs on the mac.

They will still talk to you on Customer Service even if you don't have a plan. Otherwise, have a mac-loving geek come over and take a look.

Guest Prosis

Damn wouldn't I do it! ;)

Seriously though, was it your hard drive? Because if it's not, keep it so that you can get your stuff back when you buy a new one.

And, you can buy a new one and pay monthly on the Apple Store.

Guest Prosis
i know, but it's not like i'm getting a monthly income

we'll see how it goes. i'll probably just kill myself

Look just so you don't kill yourself, I'll give you money and we can talk instead of sex (I am married ;))

No but seriously though, do you HAVE to have a Mac? Because PC's a cheaper.

Yeah but then she can't get an AppleCare plan for if this happens again. Which is a bad move considering the history, IMO.

I don't know why this is true, but it seems like certain people have bad luck with technology, myself being one. If one thing breaks, get plans on everything, because it's bound to happen again.