***WARNING*** I'm not that technically savy. I just want a new computer. ;)

OK, so my current PC laptop is on the blink. In the near future, I am going to need a new laptop and for my next computer, I am going to be looking into getting a Mac, preferably one of the laptop models.

The biggest things I would be using it for is for word processing (blog/journal entries), Internet browsing, photo storage and iTunes. If I can fit a game like the Sims on it, bonus.

Personally, I really like the idea of the Air simply for the portablity (I can take it with me to work and spend my lunches writing blogs and the what not), but after watching the explination on the Apple website, I don't get how I would be able to watch DVDs without being close to a second computer with an optical drive. (Being naive, I'm assuming if my computer picks up wireless internet connection...I could be wrong.)

I also see on the website that there's an option to finance the purchase. Has anyone tried this? I'm going to need to take advantage of this if I actually go ahead with a purchase because I just don't have $2000 upfront for anything.

Does anyone have any advice at all?

Guest Prosis

Alright, first off, be aware that Macs and PCs are two very different worlds. A Mac will do pretty much everything for you so it's very easy to use especially if you're not into tweaking, it's perfect. But when it comes to interface, you will have to learn a new one. It's not difficult at all, it's just very different than Windows (not PC's because Linux, which is the OS I use, works a lot like Macs).

Second, you will have to learn how to use new software than the ones you're used to. Again nothing difficult, but these are the kind of things you have to be ready to do. Except for Office which works pretty much the same way, bar the look, most software have equivalents on Macs.

Third, there's a window habit that you will have to change. I'm talking about the window itself and not Windows. On Windows, every window has its menu and everything that concerns the software is in the window. On Mac, the window thing is a little different. First, the menu appears on the top bar which changes according to the software you use. Second, things might be all over the place (which is something I don't like). For instance, Photoshop appears in many parts. I'm probably not clear lol but you will see what I mean when you get your computer.

For which machine to buy, I see no reasons for you to buy the MacBook Air. It's a cool and light machine, but it has no DVD-Rom and is quite small. Between the Air and the MacBook, I would chose the ordinary MacBook. Not the Pro which you will pay a lot more but that doesn't suit your needs.

So, I would get the MacBook. It's got pretty much everything you need. It's cheaper and doesn't weigh very much so it's easy to carry around.

P.S.: Don't do like a lot of computer users: Become elitist about your type of computer (like Macs are superior to Pc or Pc's are superior to Mac)...they're just computers ;)

Edited by Prosis

When it comes to laptops, you need to decide what matters you more: mobility or performance. If you don't use your laptop as your main computer, meaning you have a desktop at home, then I suppose mobility would be more important and then I'd look into laptop with smaller screens that weigh less. If it's going to be your only computer, you'll probably get one with a 15' screen and then it can't be that light. Macs are more expensive so if money is tight and you don't really need it for something specific like graphic design, I'd go with a PC.

When it comes to laptops, you need to decide what matters you more: mobility or performance. If you don't use your laptop as your main computer, meaning you have a desktop at home, then I suppose mobility would be more important and then I'd look into laptop with smaller screens that weigh less. If it's going to be your only computer, you'll probably get one with a 15' screen and then it can't be that light. Macs are more expensive so if money is tight and you don't really need it for something specific like graphic design, I'd go with a PC.

Graphic design would be definitely be a need. I'm thinking of opening an actual blog, but I don't want to do it if I don't have consistant access to a program like Photoshop. I used to have it on my current laptop, but I had to remove it because it took up way too much space and I'd rather use the majority of the space for iTunes.

One more question: are they durable? The reason I'm shopping now rather than later is the fact that the screen on my current laptop is staring to blink and will sometimes do this funky white out thing. I'm willing to pay extra if it means that it will last and I won't have to be shopping around for a new one within two years.

This might be pointless information to share, but I used to hate hate HATE macs and anything to do with macs.

I'm used to Windows and PCs.

Then my boss decided he was going to hook the office up with iMacs.

and now PCs can go to hell.

Seriously, I thought I would have a sick time trying to get used to the Mac OS, but honestly, it's such a breeze. I used to hate how macs didn't have right-click, but that's not a problem anymore lol

Graphic design would be definitely be a need.  I'm thinking of opening an actual blog, but I don't want to do it if I don't have consistant access to a program like Photoshop.  I used to have it on my current laptop, but I had to remove it because it took up way too much space and I'd rather use the majority of the space for iTunes. 

One more question: are they durable?  The reason I'm shopping now rather than later is the fact that the screen on my current laptop is staring to blink and will sometimes do this funky white out thing.  I'm willing to pay extra if it means that it will last and I won't have to be shopping around for a new one within two years.

You know you'll have to either pirate or buy a new version of Photoshop that works with Mac, yes?

I would consider Macs to be very durable. The plastic case of the MacBook that Prosis suggested can be jostled around quite a bit. My messy-ass boyfriend has one, and it works extremely well, sans for getting a bit dirty (buy canned air!). That said, I've heard Mac is getting rid of the plastic case and turning them all to titanium or metal composite like the MacBook Pro's. This isn't really a problem, as it's just as durable - just be prepared for a slight price increase if you don't get your laptop in the near future.

The actual Mac system might in fact be more durable because it is less susceptible to viruses, but then again if you are using lots of Windows ported programs, the Macintosh hard drive or even the RAM can become corrupted. Still, if you can afford the extra few hundred dollars to shell out, I would highly suggest a Mac (with virus software for the lulz), if only for their sleek design and to use for graphics work. I dunno why it would be better, personally, but a friend of mine that does graphics decided on the Pro model rather than the regular MacBook. I guess it depends on how much you'll be working with it.

Edited by decomposinglight

If it's not heavy designing, there isn't really a need for a Mac. Also, you'll need to buy new programs that are Mac-compatiable and if you pirate software then that's harder to do on Macs as well. It's true that Macs don't get infected with viruses often and have a great design but PC's have advatages too. I think it all comes down to money.

Full Disclosure: Long time Mac user and proponent.

I agree with Prosis's analysis. The Macbook Air is only useful as a travel machine. the lack of an optical drive and the relatively small storage are potentially crippling.

For $1500 you can get a MacBook that will do everything you need for many years. Yes, they tend to be pricier, but they become obsolete much slower as well. My 7 year old iMac can run all of the current software, for example (albeit slowly -- I now just use it as a jukebox and DVD player in front of my treadmill. :-) )

Outside of Office for Mac and Photoshop, there's not a lot of software you'll need to buy-- iPhoto is a very powerful program, and there is tons and tons of freeware and shareware available for just about any task you might need to do. (For that matter, you could use OpenOffice and GIMP for free.)

I've never bought the warranty and never needed it. My iBook G4 has been all over the world by plane and boat and has held up remarkably well. I've never used Apple's financing, so I can't speak to that.

Good luck. Be sure to post what you decide.

My best friend swears by GIMP and I'll definitely try it as an alternative to Photoshop.

In the end, I'm definitely going to make the effort to get a Mac. I really don't want to go through the hassel of having to deal with the extra programs that comes with PCs.

Now, the next question: where to find a dealer in town. The online financing looks great...only problem is I'm not a US citizan. ;)

Step 1) if you are a student at a post secondary institution, it is always a good idea to check out the apple.ca education store. If you are in CS or Engineering, you can get a wicked onetime deal from ADC (ask more if this applies).

A number of big name stores deal apple these days. I know futureshop stocks a few models. To get a detailed list check: http://www.apple.com/ca/buy/locator/

A few last points: You might not need new software, some companies ship both mac and windows software in the box. If that doesn't work, you might be able to get away with parallels or office crossover. Not that I condone pirating software, but it's no more difficult on a mac than a PC. It seems dangerous to say this, but I've been running my mac for 5 years, and never needed any anti-virus software... that might have changed now, but I doubt it. And yes, Mac's hold up great... the only component on my laptop that has broken is my optical drive, but it gets a lot of use.

I was about to suggest Amazon, but I see that Amazon.ca doesn't sell computers. You could save about $100 if you have a friend across the border: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013FPYR...ef?ie=UTF8&s=pc

Still doesn't solve the financing issue though. :-(

I'd just cross the border then. ;)

I'm pretty sure you can't get financing even if you cross the border... given that they will need ID, and will therefor know that you are not a US citizen.

That's why I got my passport...well, I got my passport for Europe, but it won't be long before those without passports in Sarnia are generally screwed if they want to take advantage of a cheep dollar. I know I did. ;)

I have a feeling financing just isn't an option for non-US citizans. Having said that, I'd definitely keep the option of going across the river open, finanicing or not. Because the dollar is generally at par right now, there's a whole list of things that are cheeper across the border. I wonder if computers were amoung those listed.

Edited by MissEmily

For Apple, generally yes. Their prices generally don't track the change in the dollar. Currently the US price is $50 less than the Canadian price.

My original statement about financing was meant to imply that a US bank will likely not finance a Canadian citizen. So unless you have US citizenship, odds are you will have to find a Canadian bank to help you out. Even then, most banks require residency. They can't collect from you if you aren't in the country, there is not legal mechanism for that.