Champion Of Nothing

Matthew Good Tribute Album

the theme is set and i have done a website to promote this, i will link all of you to the site tomorrow and officially launch this project. the minimum amount of covers for my idea to work is 18, the maximum is 23

It's your project idea so whatever, but do you mind me asking why we're not aiming for a number that might be a little bit easier to achieve? There are lots of cds out there with only ten tracks anyways and I think it would be too bad if this was put on the back burner again just because we didn't get 18 tracks.

Guest Prosis
i don't think you guys can legally sell an actual cd or any downloads but you can post them up here to download for free

Which is what I originally thought it was, like Shiri's original idea.

Guest Prosis

Well if you wanna sell it and send the money to a charity, we'd need Matt's permission before. Other than that, no selling ;)

The website's looking good!...One mistake though: Comfortable Criminal was for Avalanche not Audio of Being.

Just playing Devil's Advocate:

It really wouldn't be that difficult to set it up to make it available for sale. All you'd have to do is obtain mechanical licenses from CMRRA. It costs about $40.50 per song to obtain a license to release 500 copies, paid up front. You wouldn't need Matt's permission or Universal's - CMRRA is already arranged to handle mechanical licensing for the MG/B catalog.

I didn't see anything on the CMRRA's website about digital distribution, though. The Harry Fox Agency (a similar US organization) offers a digital distribution license for songs, but that only applies to US releases.

Having said that, I think you can do the math on what it would cost to put together an entire album of cover songs. Reality: not worth it.

Regardless - once this gets rolling, somebody should still give Matt the head's up to make sure he doesn't mind. Technically, you're supposed to pay the licenses even if you don't sell the songs. (I really doubt he'd mind - I organized one of these some years ago for another band, and they had no objection so long as no money changed hands.)

Edited by uglyredhonda