Champion Of Nothing

Matthew Good Tribute Album

deadline will be June 15, let me know if any of you thinks that thats a little steep

Also, if any of you know where I can find the tracks from the original tribute CD that was gonna happen, that'd be great so that i can contact the artists and see if they can go on the new one.

Also, those people that stated interest but never put in an actual submission, is there any of you that have decided?

Edited by Champion Of Nothing

I really wish I could contribute to this, but I no longer have a band.

I have a crappy iPod recorder, so if anyone needs drums for anything, and for some reason doesn't have the samples found on most audio programs, let me know and I'd be glad to put some together, though I think the quality would most likely be too low to use.

Edited by Prometheon

Reactions:

1) Separating the album into eras sounds good on paper, but will only discourage participation.

BM is MG's most succesful album - limiting it to three tracks (then including Loser Anthems as BM-era) seems horribly misbalanced, particularly when Astronauts is given the same three spaces by itself.

Quick fix: give one of Astronauts' slots to BM. Better fix: kill the "eras". I'd rather hear five unique songs from the MG catalog than cut two of those simply because someone didn't want to record a song from a less popular era.

2) The new demo songs should be excluded, PERIOD. I'm specifically referring to "Fought to Fight It". Matt's version of those songs should be the first to be readily available: it's grossly unfair for him to have to compete against someone else's recording when his recording isn't actually available yet - particularly since he's made his feelings about these demos crystal clear.

Remember: these demos are not publicly available. You can justify having them and listening to them - but offering them in the form of a cover is just as bad (if not worse) than sharing the original demo itself.

I don't have quite as strong a feeling about "Silent Army in the Trees", given how often he's played it live and that it's technically not a demo. But neither "Fought to Fight It" nor any of the other unreleased demos should be covered until after Matt has the opportunity to offer his finished version.

Edited by uglyredhonda

Reactions:

1) Separating the album into eras sounds good on paper, but will only discourage participation.

BM is MG's most succesful album - limiting it to three tracks (then including Loser Anthems as BM-era) seems horribly misbalanced, particularly when Astronauts is given the same three spaces by itself.

Quick fix: give one of Astronauts' slots to BM.  Better fix: kill the "eras".  I'd rather hear five unique songs from the MG catalog than cut two of those simply because someone didn't want to record a song from a less popular era.

2) The new demo songs should be excluded, PERIOD.  I'm specifically referring to "Fought to Fight It".  Matt's version of those songs should be the first to be readily available: it's grossly unfair for him to have to compete against someone else's recording when his recording isn't actually available yet - particularly since he's made his feelings about these demos crystal clear.

Remember: these demos are not publicly available.  You can justify having them and listening to them - but offering them in the form of a cover is just as bad (if not worse) than sharing the original demo itself.

I don't have quite as strong a feeling about "Silent Army in the Trees", given how often he's played it live and that it's technically not a demo.  But neither "Fought to Fight It" nor any of the other unreleased demos should be covered until after Matt has the opportunity to offer his finished version.

Not to sound condescending Champion of Nothing because I'm glad you decided to think this project up, but I'm gonna have to agree with URH on pretty much everything especially about the demos. I can't see Matt appreciating that at all.

And I would say we make the deadline somewhat later than June 15. Some songs can be finished faster than others but it just depends on what one you're doing. By setting a deadline in a month and a half I think we'd kind of be discouraging those who might want to do full band tracks instead of just acoustic ones considering that layering 3 to 4 instruments and getting the sounds mixed properly isn't the easiest thing to accomplish especially if you're working full time.

Just my two cents.

Edited by daniel_v

that's pretty disappointing that you guys think all that, our band was really set on fought to fight it too. and what do you mean by quality detail?

and i guess we're dropping the eras, though i do think it's limiting, i did like having the structure. and do you really think its unfair to do a cover of a demo he released?

Edit: OK, I ditched the eras thing, if we get a fair amount of submissions from each era I will organize it like that in the end but I won't restrict the eras anymore. Also, I will look at doing a different song than fought to fight, we were however really set on that one so please don't hate me if we don't change it.

I agree that his unreleased demos should be off limits. I don't think the June 15th deadline is too restrictive--even if you're doing lots of layers, you have something like 40 days to do it if you start now (but I understand where you're coming from because no one wants to be creative on a deadline.) By "quality detail" he meant who will cut tracks that aren't up to par. It would probably be easiest for everyone to just post their tracks in this thread for opinions before it's set in stone.

well I don't want this to end up like the last one, so a deadline is definately appropriate and I think we will keep it at June but maybe extend it by a week. Also, I don't want everyone to hear other's before they're done, the people who are running it (which includes me) can decide. I updated the site regarding all the new comments, LINK TO SITE

and do you really think its unfair to do a cover of a demo he released?

I'm not sure it's possible to aptly pay "tribute" to an artist by doing something that will certainly piss him off.

If you're intent on recording it, ask him for permission. If he says yes, go for it. But I strongly suspect he'll say no - and might not be so happy about the request. (I can already imagine the rant that might follow this one.)

But that should be the minimum requirement: if you don't get his permission, you shouldn't do it. And if you decide not to ask on the grounds that he might say no, that's even more reason not to do it.

If I can find the time, and cheap recording time, I might be willing to contribute, a few bass tracks. Recording time doesn't come cheap, and it would be easier if I had some drum tracks to work with. I'd be willing to contribute backing vocals too. As I type this, maybe we should think about this from another angle. This would be a good opportunity for a Nearfantastica get together, if we put together a convention/get together. We could just hook up with a studio, and lay all our tracks together. It would make life easier. However it get worked out, it's a fantabulous idea. I would want to know that Matt supports it though.

Charles: what songs were you thinking of doing? I can record some drum tracks for you if you like.

The quality will suck because of my recorder, but at least it's something to keep you in time and provide some "feel" if you want it.

mg just mailed back. i think he's okay with you guys covering songs that he's released on albums but he explicitly doesn't want anyone to cover his demos.

again, i suggest sticking your covers up for free to download or you might get sued by the label.

I'll probably say, Symbolistic White Walls, Everything is Automatic, and I'd say Near Fantastica, but it has to be extended with some really bombastic beats, there's a live version that is like 12 mins long, and the drummer is beating that shit like it owes him money.