MissEmily

Barenaked Ladies Appreciation Thread

While browsing through the posts this evening, I found quite a few expressing love towards BNL and the new kids' CD, Snacktime.

Personally, Stunt was one of the first non-Beatle CDs I ever bought and I was hooked. Shamefully, due to the fact Sarnia's so far out of the way of everything when you don't drive, I've only been able to see them three times with the last actually being here in Sarnia during the same Bayfest the organizers pissed off Matt.

So yeah, Barenaked Ladies rock. ;)

I think there's already a BNL appreciation thread, but yes, I was a "Stuntie" as well, and I bought the CD for "One Week" and "It's All Been Done" and I promptly bought everything I could find soon thereafter. The way they arrange their music, the content of their lyrics, and the camaraderie within the band, really speaks to me on a personal level, and they mean so much to me.

I remember when I 1st heard BNL, back in 1991-92 when some girls in school were raving about the song If I Had A Million Dollars, I wanted to know who this band was, so I sought out and bought Gordon sometime in 1992, and I was hooked, the humor of the music is what I drew me in, and over time the music got better and better. I then saw them live, and was drawn in even more.

Favorite Song(s): King of Bedside Minor, Enid, Shoebox, Alcohol.

Matthew Good is my favourite musician of all time, but BNL is the undisputed second, with an increible lead over everything else I listen too.

Their lyrics are incredible, and they have so much variety of tone and content within their songs that there's always something that fits my mood. I think Born on a Pirate Ship is my favourite album, as songs like When I Fall and Break Your Heart are amazingly beautiful, and stuff like I Live With It Every Day and Straw Hat are fantastically fun.

I LOVE THEM

j/k I'm not 50 years old

Easy there. Thinking a band isn't very good isn't the same thing as disliking someone for enjoying their music. All the responses that didn't enjoy the Barenaked Ladies were pretty tame and weren't directed at any users. If we all kept our opinions to ourselves there would next to no posts on this board at all. I could see if the responses were malicious or completely off topic but as they are I see no fault in them and I am sorry that you do.

Personally, I've had to get used to people very vocally disliking BNL to my face. It's sad, but I can't really do anything to change their opinion.

A friend of mine who vehemently dislikes them, simply said to me that he just doesn't like their very distinctive style of singing. It reminds him of commercial jingles. I don't agree with it, but I can sort of see where he's coming from. I tried to change his mind, but it's simply a case of different strokes for different folks, I guess.

However, I've also fed him tons of lesser known BNL songs, and he still wouldn't bite. It bugs me a little when people often judge BNL by "One Week" or Million Dollars. I really hate "Another Postcard", because it's such a horrible representation of BNL. Such a cop out song, imo.

I enjoy quite a few of their songs and give many props to these guys and their music but haven't ever been heavy into them. I used to own a couple of their albums and still have one. I've heard a lot of their stuff but some of it very little and the best three cds they've released in my mind are Gordon, Rock Spectacle (a live album), and Stunt. Gordon is where it's at for me. Most of the songs on Stunt are enjoyable and it is a good solid album but Gordon has their most classic and fun songs. It is a classic fun album to break out once in a while.

Edit: I change my mind, for now anyway. Listening to Stunt I think it is their best effort. Lots of unique, enjoyable and fun stuff on it. I think out of their albums it's the one I'd want to listen to the most often.

Edited by Manchalivin

Personally, I've had to get used to people very vocally disliking BNL to my face. It's sad, but I can't really do anything to change their opinion.

A friend of mine who vehemently dislikes them, simply said to me that he just doesn't like their very distinctive style of singing. It reminds him of commercial jingles. I don't agree with it, but I can sort of see where he's coming from. I tried to change his mind, but it's simply a case of different strokes for different folks, I guess.

However, I've also fed him tons of lesser known BNL songs, and he still wouldn't bite. It bugs me a little when people often judge BNL by "One Week" or Million Dollars. I really hate "Another Postcard", because it's such a horrible representation of BNL. Such a cop out song, imo.

Have you forced him to a show? That might work. ;)

About a month ago, a co-worker of mine insisted we listen to Gordon about 5 times over the course of the shift. Didn't really mind, but he did get snippy with me when I wanted to change it up and listen to Maroon.

Just heard. Canadian musician with bulk of success in the 90's + a history of depression in some form or another + incident involving drugs shortly after separation with spouse...sound familiar?

Very, very sad indeed and I'll be keeping track to whatever comes out in the next few days. But in the end I don't care as to why he was arrested to begin with. I just hope he gets the help he needs.