lyuan

Toronto Show - What A Great Night!

As expected, the setlist was quite similar to the one Matt's been playing so far on the tour...

I didn't expect the extended encore though:

Giant, Avalanche, and then She's in it For the Money and Everything is Automatic. THEN followed by accoustic versions of Strange Days and True Love Will Find You In The End...

And, as expected, Matt put on a terrific show...!!! Highlights for me included 'Champions of Nothing', which was a fantastic way of opening the show. What a GREAT song to hear live! I also really enjoyed the new full-band version of Apparitions and of course Weapon.

I would also like to give a shout out to the dude sitting in front and centre in the 1st balcony who randomly got up to dance and give 'peace' signals to Matt. It was great to see so much enthusiasm ;).

Compared the the shows I've been to, I think I prefer the Mod Club / Phoenix / Kool Haus shows (standing room), as it lets the crowd get into it a bit more. Massey Hall is more fitting for his accoustic tour. With the band, there's just some songs that made you want to jump up and down, but you think twice out of courtesy for people behind you.

All-in-all a fantastic show, and I hope to see Matt back in Toronto sooner rather than later! Bravo!!

L.

** Edited for grammar

Edited by lyuan

For those that were wondering, I asked Matt if he was going to be recording the show when I saw him at Edge 102 and he said that they WERE going to be recording it. Although that doesn't necessarily mean that they will be releasing it, however after the amazingly solid performance I can't see why not!

Setlist was:

Champions Of Nothing

A Single Explosion

Odette

Weapon

The Devil's In Your Details

Hello Time Bomb

Born Losers

Load Me Up

Put Out Your Lights

Blue Skies Over Bad Lands

Black Helicopter

I'm A Window

99% Of Us Is Failure

Apparitions

Encore 1:

Giant

Avalanche

She's in it for the money

Everything is automatic

Encore 2 (acoustic):

Strange days

True love will find you in the end

Matt came on stage at 9pm and finished at 11pm. Solid 2 hour set!

I was in the upper gallery and almost everyone stood the first encore songs, that place was electric after Everything is Automatic. Loudest moment of the night had to be the standing ovation after the first encore. Solid set, solid night.

Champions of Nothing was spectacular to say the least! The band he has hired is utterly fantastic, especially the lead guitarist. He is exceptional without a doubt. The lap steel during Blue Skies Over Badlands was really moving. He has great chemistry with Matt, so I hope to see them work together again

I didn't see one but I was on the balcony.

Just wanted to add that the show was by far the best I've seen by him (even though that was only the fourth). I thought Born Losers was incredible and to reiterate, Champions of Nothing and Blue Skies Over Bad Lands were also highlights.

I'm glad I get to see him again in London, though I don't think it'll be the same (most likely only one encore); seems like he pulled out all the show-stoppers tonight.

I hope now that he's recorded this show that him and the band start learning some more songs because I would love to hear some of the others he had on his list.

show was awesome. so many highlights. 99% of us is failure was awesome. the new full-band apparitions was awesome. black helicopter was awesome. pretty much everything was awesome. the lead guitarist really was utterly fantastic. the drummer was solid. the bassist was boring.

crowd was awesome.

Same as everyone else has said. the show was amazing! Champions and Blue skies over bad lands and strange days were my favorites. But everything was done so perfectly and the songs flowed together perfectly. I've seen him 16 times and this is deffinatly one of the best I've seen. There's absolutely no reason for it not to be released as it sounded so perfectly.

I also got the chance to finally (after so many shows) meet Matt and get a picture with him. Pretty unreal.

Simply put- it was amazing!

It was singlehandedly the best show I've been to. Ever. Highlights were:

Champions of Nothing - Amazing intro, made my skin crawl. I can't say I've ever held onto a shit eating grin for 7-8 minutes

Single Explosion - I never really was too attached to this song to begin with, and always thought it was pretty decent but nothing special. But watching Matt eye's closed grasping at the crowd while he sang the closing line, was probably one of the most moving moments I've experienced.

Everything is automatic. I could go on for pages on why it was quite possibly the most awesome moment of the night but I will keep it short - The energy, the crowd singing along, the lights, and him rockin' his ass off despite himself previously callin himself an old man on his blog. If a quarter of the bands out there could rock as hard as he can; music would be in a better state.

Everyone seems to be talking about Champions of Nothing so I think I will too. Personally my favourite part of the live version is the intensity in which Matt sings the end of the last chorus. Everything is Automatic was a highlight for me, I "sang" along but I couldn't even hear my own terrible voice since it just blended with everyone else that sang it too. I could go on and on about this concert, but I'll spare you all from more of a rant lol.

Oh, and in regards to the talks of a dvd/cd... I didn't see any cameramen other than ones just taking pictures, did anyone else see someone taking a video?

Edited by Pew89

There was a camera set up on the floor level at the back, but there is usually a camera set up in that spot for every show I've ever seen at Massey Hall, so I think that might be for the archives or whatever. I don't think the show was being recorded on video (but I could be wrong), just the audio. I think if it was being recorded on video there would have been more cameras for different angles, not just the one set up at the back.

Oh, and in regards to the talks of a dvd/cd... I didn't see any cameramen other than ones just taking pictures, did anyone else see someone taking a video?

If it were being filmed for a DVD, you'd have seen a couple of cameras on the first balcony, at least two camera guys on stage, one camera guy right in front of the stage, and almost certainly a crane over the crowd. (You could do it without the crane, but it's been a near-requirement of live videos for years. Just watch any MTV or MuchMusic concert.) You'd have been constantly distracted by people running around to get shots.

(I went to

a few years ago at a venue similar to Massey, and it was actually unnerving to see the crane dive down over my head - especially considering how unstable its base seemed on the first balcony.)

I saw that floor camera at the Massey show last fall. Matt blogged about watching the video on the bus in the days after the show.

Edited by uglyredhonda

anyone tape? i forgot mine......

I posted a couple videos on facebook and tagged Matt in them, if you can't find them from his page just search for "Massey Hall Apparitions" and "Massey Hall Avalanche".