Guest Prosis

The Internet And Predators

Guest Prosis

So monday, on TV, they were debating whether or not the Internet was responsible for the proliferation of predators (sexual predators or phishing and whatnot).

My answer to this is that, although the Internet is a new conduit for predators, it is not responsible for the proliferation of predators.

If one irons one's shirt whilst wearing it, one is responsible for one's burns...not the iron.

Same with the Internet. If one is na

I agree with you 100%, but I think you need to see the perspective that internet presents one with much more opportunity to "be an idiot."

Yeah, people who are victimized by internet predators are usually to blame, butt if the internet didn't exist, there would be a whole lot less victimization going on, you know?

I'm not saying that that absolves people of responsibility or fault, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

The thing is that with the rise in technology and drop in philosophy, the culture requires that parents be far more responsible than ever before. From the time your parents (or grandparents) grew up to now, this is a totally different world. And that is unprecedented in human history.

The answer is an easy one. Parents are responsible. it's harder to be responsible, but they're still responsible.

To the idea that the internet causes children to be preyed upon, you can add to those other fallacies, like when people blame food for fat people, or guns for murder, or stupidity for Obama. etc

Edited by heyrabbit

Guest Prosis

True but I was also talking about people who got stuck in bank frauds because they clicked a link in an email that asked them to update their information and whatnot.

Because, of course, children are not responsible for being preys and parents are. My kids computer will be in a place that my wife and I have already discussed right in the middle of the kitchen and the living room (which is an opened area) so that we know what their doing at all times. In addition to that, there will be a spyware that will allow me to look at their screens from my PC if I'm not near them. That's being responsible (I'm not saying I'll have it on all the time frantically pressing F5 lol...but it'll allow me to evaluate their activity and know what they do and who they do it with).

That's a good idea. Though at a certain age, your kids would probably resent you if you snooped on their private life, especially if they didn't know you're monitoring what they're doing. I'm talking about 13 and 14 y/o's, who are still kids but starting to gain independence. Do you spy on them then?

True but I was also talking about people who got stuck in bank frauds because they clicked a link in an email that asked them to update their information and whatnot.

Because, of course, children are not responsible for being preys and parents are. My kids computer will be in a place that my wife and I have already discussed right in the middle of the kitchen and the living room (which is an opened area) so that we know what their doing at all times. In addition to that, there will be a spyware that will allow me to look at their screens from my PC if I'm not near them. That's being responsible (I'm not saying I'll have it on all the time frantically pressing F5 lol...but it'll allow me to evaluate their activity and know what they do and who they do it with).

Is spying and tracking as effective a way of keeping your kids safe, than say, teaching them to make the right decisions on their own?

Guest Prosis

No I prefer not teaching him anything, putting him aaaall alone on the computer aaaaaall day and spend 12 hours a day watching what he does and spying on him, reading his emails and conversations telling myself that he couldn't be the judge of what he does anyway... ;)

It's called a "complementary" solution...look it up

Edited by Prosis