lokee

Latest Blog Entry June 13th

yeah i'm glad he's had some time to collect himself a bit and isn't letting what happened bug him too much. he's a great musician and it's unfortunate that some of his fan base is comprised of total lunkheads, but i suppose that's a reality one faces when they've been in the public consciousness for so long. thankfully he's been able to stick through it and continues to impress us with great music and awesome performances.

Matt's always been good like that though, and everyone goes through times when a lot of seemingly minor things add up to one big pile of shit and they just gotta lash out at it. I know I've done it, and once you get it out of your system, you feel better and can look at it in a different light. It's just a shame that so many people decide that they're going to have their balls drop because they can hide behind a computer screen and an internet connection and start putting their noses in where it really doesn't belong.

I dunno about you guys, but my parents raised me not to do things that I myself wouldn't like having done back to me.

So far I've only fielded two messages regarding it, but I'm sure to expect more.

Wait, was your group the one that nutcase was referring to, going on about his personal life? I am so completely baffled by every aspect of that story. People find new ways to shock me everyday.

Wait, was your group the one that nutcase was referring to, going on about his personal life? I am so completely baffled by every aspect of that story. People find new ways to shock me everyday.

The group is called "Matthew Good and the Band" and yes, there were insane amounts of conflicting stories that I didn't even bother to read and just got rid of.

Guest Prosis
I dunno about you guys, but my parents raised me not to do things that I myself wouldn't like having done back to me.

Yes but apparently, two screens separated by miles of wire seems to somehow give balls to people and make them lose all judgement.

We are all extremely lucky that Matt is as accessible as he is. Many musicians dont even keep up a blog so u dont even know what the fuck is going on with a tour or with a new album or even the shit thats going through his mind that adds to our ability to enjoy his art/music a bit more.

Its stupid that stupid people take advantage of this accessibility & poison it with their acts of retardation. THATS RIGHT - RETARTDATION!!! <---

He cancelled a show get the fuck over it morons & get Matt back to bloggin about things that make it inside newspapers & not Junior-High lockerrooms.

We are all extremely lucky that Matt is as accessible as he is. Many musicians dont even keep up a blog so u dont even know what the fuck is going on with a tour or with a new album or even the shit thats going through his mind that adds to our ability to enjoy his art/music a bit more.

Its stupid that stupid people take advantage of this accessibility & poison it with their acts of retardation. THATS RIGHT - RETARDATION!!! <---

He canceled a show get the fuck over it morons & get Matt back to bloggin about things that make it inside newspapers & not Junior-High lockerrooms.

Amen! I guess I understand why people would be interested - That's the whole reason stupid websites about star gossip are invented right? But that's exactly what it is, gossip. I remember it from high school. It's lame.

I am so thankful that Matt has a blog, he raises important issues and actually makes you think about the world- who else does that? I don't know what I will read every morning when he decides to stop doing it.

We are so fortunate.

post-2-1213799910.jpg

As an outsider completely not familiar with the "gimme this" of rock star life, I have to say that I see where he's coming from.

My wife and I drove over 1,000 miles to see him (round trip.) I noticed two things.... 1) that people weren't there to see a Matthew Good show. They were there to see that guy that plays Time Bomb and Load Me Up. Even getting to know bystanders took away from the anticipation of taking a road trip to see him.

The second thing I noticed was the overwhelming anti-American sentiments that befell my wife and I fielded just by our accents at times. The amazing thing about that is that I grew up 5 miles south of Canada under a family consisting 95% of Canadians! My friends in DC (I'm a recent transplant) call me "the Canadian guy." We were asked about George Bush at least 5 times. For the record, I don't know the guy and this isn't "my" war.

I suppose my point is that from what I experienced there wasn't much of a "wow, this is Matthew Good" response. There was more of an "oh my God, beers are six bucks, but at least that guy who sings that song is here. Maybe we'll drink and dance or maybe we'll just drink."

So separate that from the following.

I am not a huge Bob Dylan fan. I've gone to seven Bob Dylan concerts. The first time I went because I wanted to say I was there. The next six times I went because I knew someone who wanted to say they were there. Are you following me?

Matthew Good is an icon. People watch Antiques Roadshow and think about how valuable their nightstands might be the same way they recognize how regional icons will be available for live-viewing. Anyone who comes here or reads his blog are exceptions, absolutely. But you have to face the fact that people see everything from story value to monetary value in something like a Matthew Good vis-a-vis or an autograph. Some people even go because "aw shit, twenty bucks is nothing."

So we are fans, and we know the difference.

Unfortunately his experiences aren't subject to the same regulations and demeanor we try to hold to AS fans. We are that subculture within that uncontrolled universe even the rest of us experience everyday. The rest of us have the convenience of not being that guy who is recognized and pre-judged by everyone else. Face it, even when he stops on the road to choose what he wants on his pizza he's probably dealing with someone who has an opinion of him.

So the guy wants to take a break. He didn't go to a major publishing distributor to say "Attn: Everyone. I'm done with this autograph bullshit." He came to the people who cared and said "just so you know... I'm tired of some of this and I need some space. I'm sorry for alienating you, but this is how it is right now. Personal choice."

So just respect it. When I don't want to answer questions, I ask my wife for some understanding. I've never had to ask the public for that.

He clearly does.

When it all boils down to the undiluted basics of being a person, we're all entitled to our feelings and emotions. You don't answer to him anymore than he answers to you. So one of these days you'll get your autograph. For now, just hold tight and enjoy the same music you enjoyed before he came to town.

And to the rest of you, suck it. :-)

That was an absolutely fantastic post and I'm surprised no one else has commented on it.