So I struck up a very good conversation with a guy at the blackjack table with me last night. He has great taste in music, agreed that Nirvana, although important, was not that good of a band. He asked me, "who is the worst band from the 80's?"

I guessed Milli Vanilli, but they don't count, so I bring the question to you. What is the Worst Band from the 80's???

cause we couldn't think of one....you?

He has great taste in music, agreed that Nirvana, although important, was not that good of a band.

well you'd think that someone with such great taste in music would be able to qualify that statement a bit better. why does he think that they're important, and yet a sucky band? sucky as in, they weren't good at their instruments? they didn't have many good songs? and if so, why are they still important?

i'd say that u2 are the worst band from the 80s.

well you'd think that someone with such great taste in music would be able to qualify that statement a bit better. why does he think that they're important, and yet a sucky band? sucky as in, they weren't good at their instruments? they didn't have many good songs? and if so, why are they still important?

i'd say that u2 are the worst band from the 80s.

they marked the end of 80's hair metal and larger than life bands. the Sex Pistols did the same thing in their time.

and I agree with u2. I'd go more Over-rated and self-conceited than anything.

U2 being the worst band of the 80s is like saying the same thing about The Police

Except, The Police really do suck and U2 don't.

Haha.

Anyway, there're plenty of bad bands that come before either one of them, that's just silly.

U2 being the worst band of the 80s is like saying the same thing about The Police

no, not really. saying u2 is the worst band from the 80s is like saying that u2 is the worst band of the 80s. sure, i could probably think of a lot of bands who were worse, but what's the fun in that?

i'll add another few: tears for fears. depeche mode.

they marked the end of 80's hair metal and larger than life bands. the Sex Pistols did the same thing in their time.

the sex pistols marked the end of 'larger than life bands'?? like who? david bowie is pretty larger than life, and '77 was his heyday.

and nirvana did the same? didn't 'larger than life bands' like pearl jam and alice n chains (two bands that also had their beginnings playing 80s hair-metal) benefit from the over-hyped success of their fellow alt-rockers?

i don't mean to be a dick with all these questions, but i just don't really get your line of thinking.

I'm not going to lie: I actually dispise at least 90% of everything released between 1980 and 1990. For me, almost everything released in those 10 years is shite. I was born in '85, and I was rased almost exclusively on AM oldies until I was 15, or when I was finally introduced to modern rock radio from '91 forward. Beyond the fact that most '80's bands sucked, the majority of the recordings made were far too overproduced and made even my favourites sound like crap. Just not a good era for just about everything.

Having said that, I do like U2, the Police and the Clash.