matrix

The Dark Knight

By far the best movie of the year and no one's made a thread yet. Heath Ledger is by far the best Joker ever and it would be a crime for him not to be nominated for an Oscar.

Edited by matrix

it would be a crime for him not to be nominated for an Oscar.

while i agree his performance was excellent, i don't really see it as being oscar worthy. not because it was lacking something, but because the oscars generally don't think highly of comic book-related/fantasy films. i think it would be nice if he did get recognized by the academy, but at the same time, they've managed to demonstrate time and time again that they're out of touch with the world of film (although last year was a bit surprising). i won't be upset if he doesnt get nominated or win.

anyways, the film was fantastic. the story was great (it was interesting to see nolan tell a linear story, i was worried that his style was going to become a bit gimmicky if he had insisted on flashbacks or whatnot), the performances were excellent, and it was all very true to the characters and story of batman, while also not adhering to it so much that the film was either predictable or unimaginative.

i also liked that the director/writers of the film felt comfortable with what they had done in the first film to constantly test and leave room open for criticism of batman this time around.

i'm seeing it again tonight hopefully, but this time in imax!

Guest apsham

...aye, jesus. I just HAD to watch Batman Begins last night, which is the first time I've seen the movie, and... fuck me if I want to go see this now. Especially after really hearing the Joker voice in a trailer. I don't even care what the plot is, I just want to hear that awesome Joker voice.... well, it still doesn't beat Mark Hamill's.

This movie by far blows Batman Begins out of the water, I loved how creepy and dark the movie is. Heath was/is the best Joker, or bad guy I have seen in a movie in a long long time.

definitely. in an interview, christian bale compared heath's performance to dennis hopper's in blue velvet. i would have to agree, as both have great range, managing to be equally hilarious and intense without coming off as too campy or earnest. that's the only performance i can really compare heath's to and it would have been logical choice if heath was looking to emulate any kind of iconic villains without drawing from past portrayals of the joker.

Edited by borntohula

Dennis Hopper seriously disturbed me in Blue Velvet.

I just got back from TDK, and holy shit. Very intense movie, and solid performances from EVERYONE, not just Heath, though he really did steal the show.

I want to go again.

Right now.

Guest apsham

"The director used an IMAX camera to film six major action sequences, including the Joker's first appearance in the film."

I wanna so bad. ;)

I have seen it twice, and it was AWESOMENESS!!!!

Heath stole the damned movie...and Aaron Eckhart smoked Tommy Lee Jones Twoface, like good weed. THE STORY WAS PERFECTION!!!! Going for a third time tomorrow I hope.

THE STORY WAS PERFECTION!!!!

it was good, but was a bit lacking in places.

SPOILER (Highlight to View)
when batman jumps out the window to save rachel, he leaves everyone in the party at the hands of the joker. wtf?

gordon dieing and then coming back to life was predictable, but also shoddy storytelling. it was unecessary, unless the writers wanted to highlight the conflict his job causes with his personal life, but if that's the case, i don't think they followed through with that very well at all.

but otherwise, yes, as far as the writing and story are concerned, it is the most solid, detailed, meticulous, batman story ever put to film. i can't stress that enough.

In response to the comments above:

I think the point of Batman saving Rachel and leaving everyone else w/ Joker was to demonstrate that despite the fact that Batman is a superhero, he's still a man, and makes human choices, which includes selfish choices too, especially when faced with losing the woman he loves. I think Batman's always struggled with having choice, and what to do.

I'd be interested in hearing more about how you thought the Gordon-death-plot was shoddily done. I don't agree, as I didn't see it coming at all. But I'd like to hear your view on it. Seemed kind of integral to the plot, since near the end, he points out he didn't want to put his family at risk, and inevitably he does anyway.

So, I saw it yesterday, unsuccessfully in IMAX, because it was sold out, but it doesn't matter because it was beyond chilling. It lived up to the hype and beyond, as did Heath Ledger. It was stressful to see him on screen because he really was so unpredictable.

Props to the director too, some of the scenes just made me gasp, they were so artfully shot. One shot in particular:

The scene where Joker is standing in the street, waiting for Batman to run him down.

Also loved the fact that the action shots were not hard to follow, as is often the case these days.

Two-Face was not nearly as grotesque as I had been expecting. He actually looked pretty CG...:/ A little disappointed with that.

I like

the scene after Joker blows up the police station and he is cruising up the street in the cop car hanging up the window

I love that scene. I don't know why but I do

I like
the scene after Joker blows up the police station and he is cruising up the street in the cop car hanging up the window

I love that scene. I don't know why but I do

I do to Timbo. It was just pure chaotic goodness.

Going for my 4th time tomorrow...I've only been to three movies in a theatre more than three times before this...

Top Gun

The Crow

X-Men