matrix

The Dark Knight

in response to muran's response to my comments:

SPOILER (Highlight to View)
yeah that makes sense. it bothered me initially, but the more i think about it, the less it's a problem. i think it's meant to bother us... because the second time he goes to save rachel, it's not actually her. joker played on batman's weaknesses... i like that.

right, i understand that he didn't want to put his family at risk and then does so anyways... i just felt like the "oh he's dead! oh he's not!" thing has been overdone, especially in comics. it's a weak and unimaginative way to trick the audience. i didn't see it coming either, but there are definitely lots of hints that he's still alive that are given afterwards (dent's driver/gordon refusing to speak, etc.). and yes, it was important to the plot, but i just think that you could suggest that gordon's job is wearing on his family life, and hve him still "appear" driving dent's truck in some other way, that doesn't involve him faking his own death. it was at that point that i think the suspension of disbelief was a bit lacking.

I thought the Gordon death thing was well done...and I liked the play on the theatre crowds sense of the the character's role in the comics... in all three showings there was this kind of collective oh shit...how the hell could they do it kind of thing. And of course sighs of relief when he was okay in the end. As for the Rachel Dawes character...I was immediately stunned by the character's death, and the impact it had...I also like Alfred's handling of the letter... It's very rare in a movie like this, for all of the subplots to work out in a satisfactory fashion(a complete and believable fashion, that is.),but they all did here. That's why I'm going again.

I like
the scene after Joker blows up the police station and he is cruising up the street in the cop car hanging up the window

I love that scene. I don't know why but I do

That had to be my second favourite scene in the movie. My favourite was

When the Joker was blowing up the hospital and he was walking down the road, and he seems surprised when the bomb goes off or soemthing like that. It really was bone chilling

All through the movie I had goose bumps. It was crazy. I want to see it again, and I usually don't like going to movies twice in the theatres, but I HAVE TO SEE IT AGAIN! It was brilliant.

That had to be my second favourite scene in the movie. My favourite was

When the Joker was blowing up the hospital and he was walking down the road, and he seems surprised when the bomb goes off or soemthing like that. It really was bone chilling

All through the movie I had goose bumps. It was crazy. I want to see it again, and I usually don't like going to movies twice in the theatres, but I HAVE TO SEE IT AGAIN! It was brilliant.

bone chilling? i thought that part was hilarious.

That part was definitely funny as hell.

My only problem with the movie is

that as an audiance, you just need to accept the fact that "Joker gets shit done" and not ask any questions. He has dozens of lackies willing to die for him at a moment's notice, and seems to be able to rig ANYTHING (hospitals, ferries, whatever) with bombs at the drop of a hat. It seemed a little far fetched.

But the movie was fucking brilliant.

I'm fairly sure I read that

the bombs were all supposed to go off at once, but didn't, and that whole part with him looking confused, pounding on the phone etc, was improvised on the spot, because they only had the one take to do it.

That said, I loved this. Bale's Batman growling voice gets a little grating after awhile, but other than that, no complaints.

To Owen, I understand what you're saying, though I think it can be seen as weird contradiction in the Joker, as all he talks about is chaos, and yet everything he does is so meticulously planned out. Of course I may be going to deep there.

i don't really think that's a contradiction though... just because it takes planning to create chaos does not really undermine the chaos that he's causing. remember, he's an "agent of chaos" meaning he brings it about, and as we've seen, he does it by whatever means necessary.

In response to Owen's comments about the Joker getting things done. That's always been the nature of the Joker from comics to screen. He just gets things done. The character is charismatic. He draws people to him easily, by preying on their weak wills, and then instilling fear in them. Also, if you look at the plots in the comics, they meticulous and damned near perfect everytime. He will always be Batman's greatest foe, because he's his intellectual equal, and he is just as driven in his aims as the Batman is. That's what makes Heath's death such a hard thing, because he played the role perfectly, it will be hard to see someone else in it...but at the same time, the Batman and The Joker need each other...so the next movie will be very interesting.

Guest apsham

I really want to see the Riddler on the big screen as he has been done in the more recent comics, such as the line ("Look at us? What happened to us? The Joker's killing people for the love of god!") and the aspect of his clues being left at crime scenes... he just can't help but to do it. In fact, one time he was caught he explained; "You don't understand... I really didn't want to leave you any clues. I really planned never to go back to Arkham Asylum. But I left you a clue anyway. So I... I have to go back there. Because I might need help. I... I might actually be crazy."

in a way i agree, i think the riddler would be a good choice if they ever choose to make another film. he's one of batman's villains whom i could see being a conceivably interesting villain in the hands of christopher nolan and the rest.

at the same time, the people involved with this project, namely nolan and his writing team, seemed pretty adamant about doing these films with villains who had not been featured in the original franchise. they succeeded in the first film, and for the dark knight coupling the joker with two face was such a great idea for so many reasons... the way they executed both character's storylines was amazing-- they did such a good job with those two. but i can't help but feel as though, just like with the penguin or catwoman, that the involvement of the riddler would bring the film to a much campier, kitschy level that they've definitely been trying to steer clear of. maybe i'm underestimating the riddler... i can't seem to dissociate him from jim carrey's portrayal, which was equally excellent and silly. i'm also reminded of the riddler's role in the long halloween which was pretty wimpy and insignificant. maybe i should read one of the graphic novels that involve the riddler on a more serious level. then we'll see.

i was hoping to see dent's story arc carry onward, but that doesn't look like it'll be happening. *although* my girlfriend and i had a pretty long debate over whether or not dent was actually dead... whether bats and gordon just killed his public persona... perhaps two face has more of a future in store??? i'd definitely like that if it were to come about

but i also wouldn't mind seeing a few other villains... cat woman would be okayyyyyy... but i'm not sure if i'm just saying that because it'd prolly be hot. talia al ghul would be another choice, but i've never really seeen or read her be anything but a buffer between batman and ra's. but who else is there? clayface? no way. poison ivy? i can't really see that one happening either.

after taking a look at bat's rogues gallery on wikipedia, i can't really say that there are many choices out there aside from the riddler. he seems to be the most likely of villains. sometimes i'm amazed by comic book writers' abilities to keep writing new stories with the same cast of characters...

Guest apsham

The producer of the film stated that it was pretty opened ended whether or not he actually died. In the line of comics that the films are loosely based off of, they put the "Dead" Dent in Arkham under an assumed name, so who knows?

It was pretty obvious from the way Gordon and Batman were talking, that they were covering it up...and there's no way, they're going to make the same mistakes they made with first go around, killing off villains. In the first movie killing off Rhas Al Gul was open ended, because he's damned near immortal. It's already been stated that there will be another movie. My guess is that they'll avoid Catwoman and Poison Ivy. My bet is that we'll see Harley Quinzel, Killer Croc or Bane(Done right this time), a return of the Two-Face, and the Joker, or Scarecrow, or something like Hush.

I also like the possibility of Talia. Black Mask is a possibility as well. Mr. Zsasz would be an interesting play, as would Deadshot. The Rogues Gallery is pretty massive, and there are several good ones.

Personally, I'd like to see a take on the Knightfall story-line...I think particularly the Azrael aspect of it.

Picture this:

Talia comes for revenge...Hires Zsasz to distract the bat, and sends Bane after him. Azrael steps in as the Bat...while Bruce recovers...Azrael goes psycho...Bruce has to stop all three of them.

I could see how that could work.

Deadshot was used in in Batman:Gotham Knight, the animated movie that preluded The Dark Knight. I highly doubt they would bring him back for a feature film. Plus, he's really not a huge villain in the Batman universe is he?

i got into an argument with people before the movie started about batman's voice. it makes me so mad!

but i think it's the best movie in a really long time. my favourite part was when he was like "i'm like a dog chasing a car... i don't know what i'd do if i caught one!' i was the only person in the theatre that laughed

I saw it. I liked it. Heath's performance is definitely worth the hype, I didn't believe he could top Jack Nicholson but he sure did. The only thing that annoyed me was indeed the Batman voice, it seemed forced and sort of pathetic.

The Batman voice is SUPPOSED to be kind of silly. It's just Bruce trying to cover up his identity the only way he knows how.

Also, I think one of the best villains would be Clayface. He's such a badass character with a very deep/tragic and conflicting personality.

agreed, but not something that i would take as seriously. how do you follow an "agent of chaos" up with clayface? can't be done, unless they call up tim burton. then clayface will have a gang of claymates and everything will go to shit.

i really think that the third film would need to involve two face to be of any interest to me.