matrix

The Dark Knight

Guest apsham
HOLLYWOOD - Johnny Depp is tipped to play Batman villain The Riddler in the next installment of the comic book movie series.

After the huge success of The Dark Knight, which has taken $440 million at the worldwide box office, producers are confident they can convince Depp to take on Christian Bale's Batman on the big screen.

And, according to the National Enquirer, studio bosses also want Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman onboard to play another of the Caped Crusader's arch-foe, the Penguin.

The Riddler was played on the small screen in the 1960s by Frank Gorshin and in 1995 movie Batman Forever by Jim Carrey. Hoffman would be stepping into the shoes of TV and movie Penguins Burgess Meredith and Danny DeVito.

A source tells the Enquirer, "(Producers) are convinced that the role of the Riddler is perfect for Depp. Johnny's a pro. He'll be able to take direction from director Chris Nolan and still make the character his own.

"And what better Penguin is there than Philip Seymour Hoffman."

Take it for what it's worth. Buddy said it was on Yahoo News earlier.

Guest apsham

Some people are questioning it, as they should really. But I choose to blindly believe it... just because I think they look like Nolan-esque casting decisions.

I like the choices, and I agree is sounds very Nolan...but I still think...my script idea would be better. It puts a very "consequences of your actions" take on the whole thing. Part of what makes Batman great, is the pain and suffering he endures. That's what made Knightfall such an amazing storyline. He has to go down before he can come back up. I've revised my idea though.

Talia Al Gul wants revenge on the Batman. She hires the Riddler and Mr. Zsasz as a lure...she hires Bane to close the trap. Azrael steps in after Bruce is beaten...so we have Azrael demolishing the bad guys as the Batman, while Bruce recovers...Introducing another Justice League type hero skirts the whole sidekick issue...which Bale and Nolan have both stated won't be a part of the franchise, as Bruce doesn't take in a ward until after he's been the Batman for some time.

As for the Justice League type...I'm thinking Green Arrow, it would be an excellent segue into his movie...which already has a script...or

Superman or Wonder Woman...The other possibility is the Green Lantern...I prefer the John Stewart one to the Hal Jordan for this though...Maybe Chris Judge, Michael Dorn, or Tyrese...someone with a broad chest, good inflection, and attitude.

the hoffman rumour has been floating around since the first film. i don't buy it. not yet. especially since nolan has said "no penguin."

as for depp, i'd be interested in seeing him do such a role, but it's all hearsay. i think he's a bit overrated. big deal... he does "strange" roles. i think his riddler might be too much like his willy wonka, or his upcoming mad hatter in the "alice" adaptation... but he might be okay if he makes sure he doesnt do that awful capn sparrow english accent that he's been bringing to all his other roles.

i think steve bucemi would be a much better riddler, and woudl also fit with nolan's casting decisions as well. he casts character actors, not really big names.

I think I'm the only person that wasn't blown (away) by The Dark Knight. I mean, yeah, Heath Ledger was great as The Joker, while far superior to Jack Nicholson's Joker, I don't feel it's Oscar worthy. Just 'cos the fucker's dead doesn't mean that I'm going to give him the "best.performance.of.all.time.he's.so.awesome.so.sad.he's.dead" bit.

The only thing that remotely surprised me was that;

SPOILER (Highlight to View)
Rachel got blowed up rather than deus ex machina'd.

I honestly prefer Batman Begins.