bishopx

Xmen Origins: Wolverine

Will.I.Am is in it. That should be enough to tell you it's going to be bad. But, I'm bias...I have never liked Hugh Jackman.

They really had a hard time casting the John Wraith role. They needed someone unique. Andre 3000 turned it down...I'm betting he'll regret it later. Will.I.Am is a pretty smart guy...he's also a comic fan, so the hope is that he'll honor the role.

Dear X-Men Origins: Wolverine,

My friends and I would like to give you a collective "meh." You had so much potential and you fell pretty short of it. I remember when I saw that first shaky video of the first trailer shown at comic con with someone cell phone and feeling so excited. After watching you tonight, I can say that while parts of you were awesome (Ryan Reynolds) there were certainly parts of you that felt rushed, crappy and downright cheesy, not to mention parts of you that I can tell were only included to pander to nerds looking to mark out at the sight of any possible X-Men characters.

I wish I could say that it's not you and it's me, but in this instance, I can't say that. It was certainly you. You've hurt me in ways that I didn't know a movie could hurt me, and while you weren't the worst movie I've ever seen, I can say with certainty that I deserve better in my life! I'm sure you'll make some ignorant person very happy.

Sincerely,

Tim

I agree with some of your points there, Tim.

But as the ever optimist, I've chosen to look at Wolverine/X-Men franchise, as I looked at the Transformers movie and most other comic book movies.

As a comic book enthusiast, one has to realise that a comic book series will always have so many reboots, rehashes and retellings. So, I'm seeing the movies as another "take" on the universe. I'm trying as much as possible not to go "omg, that's not how they're supposed to do it!".

That being said, the story was a little blase, the dialogue a little cheesier than I would have liked. Some of the performances were great, as always, Hugh Jackman did a great job as Wolverine, and Liev Schrieber did an excellent job as Sabertooth. As excited as I was just to hear "Remy LeBeau" spoken out loud, and as fantastically good looking as Taylor Kitsch is, he didn't make a very dynamic Gambit. Gambit is so helpful and halfway nice in this movie...not really what Gambit's about. Plus the halfassed accent (which reminds me of Anna Paquin's halfass Rogue) all too disappointing. Also kind of disappointed at their treatment of Emma Frost as well.

I'm going to say I enjoyed it, but only because I'm an eternal fangirl. I was good this time around and kept away from spoilers, and I felt I was pretty rewarded with

the cameo of Patrick Stewart as Professor Xavier

. I had a mini-freak out at that.

To comment on your blacked out text,

those special effects were AWFUL, I get that they wanted to make Prof. X look younger but he looked TERRIBLE!!!

I was a decent fan of Gambit, but I was hoping for a better accent. I kept trying to tell myself to ignore the part of my brain that has read the comics but it was so hard to do at some parts. I was also baffled as to why they'd change some things at all, why is Wolverine from the Northwest Territories in the movie when he was from Alberta? Just a simple change that doesn't affect the story at all but still bothered me. I dunno, I don't see myself watching it again.

Really? I didn't think he looked too bad actually. I mean, I think they did the best they could, considering they were trying to make a man in his seniors, look like he's in his 30s.

Gambit's accent bothered me the most. It's like he tried really hard at the beginning, and once he had to actually do more than sit there, he had no multitasking abilities to keep the accent *and* act.

See, Tim, I think part of the reason why you're less than pleased with it, is because you're nitpicking a lot. Just think of it like another universe of X-Men?

Like I said. I'm the eternal optimistic fangirl. I'm trying to spread a little love here haha