Guest some guy

Upcoming Movies Based On Comics\graphic Novels

Ahh, I'm looking forward to Watchmen too.

Not a comic book, but I saw the trailer for Max Payne, and it looks far better than Hitman's treatment.

Also, Comboy Bebop has been announced as well. Keanu Reeves is rumoured to be attached to the role of Spike Spiegel. I could vomit.

Guest apsham

Fox can kiss my ass. ;) They've already ruined so many awesome things that I wanted to see\continue to see. And then they brought back that god awful Family Guy. There is no justice.

Actually Keanu could be good for it.

Shut yo mouth, Charles! ;)

I actually think Edward Norton would make a good Spike Spiegel...or James Marsters.

EDIT: Although, in retrospect, I think James Marsters is perfect for everything :S

Edited by Muran

Fox can kiss my ass. ;) They've already ruined so many awesome things that I wanted to see\continue to see. And then they brought back that god awful Family Guy. There is no justice.

Family Guy is the awesomeness Alex, you take that back right now!!!!

Okay...maybe Keanu isn't the best first choice. I could totally see Marsters or Norton. Michael Rosenbaum would be good too.

I wasn't a big fan of 300, but his take on Watchmen looks good. He is keeping to the book as much as possible...

i think that's the reason why good comic book adaptations are few and far between: the films don't distance themselves from authorial intent. sin city is an interesting exception because it was the first in this new line of "shot for shot" remakes of comic books and looked damn well doing it. but if all comic adaptations just strive for looks, they're going to fail. 300 was awful, as it reproduced the racist boys-club of frank miller's dreams without any hesitation or awareness whatsoever. the film would have been interesting had it at least tried to challenge miller's text in some way... rather than just copy it. why watch the movie when it's no different from the comic?

watchmen will blow because it won't have the proper writing nor the critical piss and vinegar that was so integral to the comics. i imagine it'll turn out to be a lot like the recent wanted adaptation with angelina jolie. the book itself was very much critique of comic books, just like watchmen, so of course it didn't translate well to the screen (especially the ending). this style of film making is lazy and will be the downfall of many adaptations to come.

i think that's the reason why good comic book adaptations are few and far between: the films don't distance themselves from authorial intent. sin city is an interesting exception because it was the first in this new line of "shot for shot" remakes of comic books and looked damn well doing it. but if all comic adaptations just strive for looks, they're going to fail. 300 was awful, as it reproduced the racist boys-club of frank miller's dreams without any hesitation or awareness whatsoever. the film would have been interesting had it at least tried to challenge miller's text in some way... rather than just copy it. why watch the movie when it's no different from the comic?

watchmen will blow because it won't have the proper writing nor the critical piss and vinegar that was so integral to the comics. i imagine it'll turn out to be a lot like the recent wanted adaptation with angelina jolie. the book itself was very much critique of comic books, just like watchmen, so of course it didn't translate well to the screen (especially the ending). this style of film making is lazy and will be the downfall of many adaptations to come.

Sin City was horrible. 300 was alright. And I don't have high expectations for this film either. Alan Moore and Frank Miller have complete different visions, sure, but all the films made from their graphic novels suck. Except V for Vendetta. That was an amazing piece of film.

Guest apsham

I think the PROBLEM with comic book movies is that they never seem to follow the content, I mean.. Spiderman was done entirely wrong, X-Men was done entirely wrong... everything is THERE it's just, well... mixed around with little things changed here and there. Whether it follows the original universe or the Ultimate universe... just choose one. I think that's why movies have been good recently.

i'm just as ambivalent toward v for vendetta as i am sin city, although i'm probably less likely to watch the former than the latter. v for vendetta was a piss-poor film, but as an adaptation it's interesting, and acts as quite the counterpoint (almost as a criticism) to the comic it was inspired by. by completely skewing the anarchist ideals that were so integral to the book, the wachowskis made their film more about the conflation between terrorist and vigilante; they actually condemn v for his actions, whereas moore celebrates him, taking much more time to explain his actions and give reason for them, rather than just having him become the catalyst for meaningless explosions and violence. the similarities between the forceful coercion of v and his tyrannical oppressors are emphasized in the film, making it a an adaptation worth watching, but one that ultimately cannot stand on it's own, apart from the text, because it tries to pass liberal, almost conservative ideologies, as being revelatory.

apsahm: do you really think that if the films just copied the books verbatim that they'd really be doing the books justice? adaptation does not work mimetically. film is a completely different medium, with completely different conventions, and although modern comics are praised for their "cinematic qualities" they really do not translate well to film without making some changes. look at the 1960s batman television show, or even the batman films from the 90s if you'd like. each took what they saw from the comics, and simply applied it to the screen. you know what happened. it became a joke. if you tried to make an x-men movie identical to the 1960s book, or even the ultimates version, it would be laughable. a lot more effort needs to be put into the suspension of disbelief when it comes to film than in comics. it's just not a straight translation.

Guest apsham

I love the 60s Batman, but then again I hate the stuff that came before Batman Begins too.. so eh.

If you ask me, more movies should be animated. Marvel has the right idea now... the Ultimates animated movies were fantastic as you can get, but if you wanna talk only live action.. sure. I actually appreciate what they did in X-Men to a certain degree, making some obviously younger than they would've been, etc allowed them to add the Bobby\Rogue storylines and such.. and I guess they tried well enough with everything else, but hells, I would've liked a straightforward X-Men movie much better... guess that's why I kinda like the animated series more.

Spiderman.. no... just no. I understand that Mary Jane is quite popular.. and it's good to cast a hot redhead.. but Gwen Stacy should've been in her proper place for the first film, blah. Thinking about it.. I guess you couldn't really do what happened on the bridge for reals if they were aiming more at kids... but still, dammit that's one of my favorite moments in Marvel history. Also, the Green Goblin looks gross.

The Hulk in 2003.. okay just fuck that. In 2008, we have a Hulk that's more real... one that doesn't think "Oh no, civilian.. don't hurt him!" Blah, 2003 was okay when I saw it but after 2008, I just have to appreciate it as the better movie. 2003 was more.. feel good, but 2008 was better because it paid attention to what the Hulk actually was.

Iron Man, nothing more can be said about that... awesome.

Perhaps this is neither here nor there, but I just wish comic book/graphic novel film adaptations would be taken more seriously.

I don't enjoy watching a graphic novel that I hold in high regard, turned into nothing more than and excuse to gorge on action, explosions, extreme special effects, and tits/pecs/abs in skintight uniforms.

Which is why I admire Batman Begins so much, because it went beyond "Oooh Batman/Batmobile/Wham!/Blamo!", and took to real character development and intense storyline.

I agree with Alex though, I also wish animation was taken more seriously as a medium as well.