Computer

Nhl 2k9 Vs Nhl09

I usually buy one hockey game a year for my 360 or xbox or whatever I had at the time. EA used to run house way back in the day up until about NHL98' when things went downhill and eventually I switched to 2k in 2001... I'm a huge hockey fan and have been all my life, after playing AAA for years I still play some shinny at my university.

Anyway

The main differences between the two games this year are that NHL09 has pro mode where you get to make a player and he gets attributes and stuff over time based on team play, stats etc.. and you can take him online and p[lay with other peoples characters in EA's own league.. sounds good... but how the fuck do you judge team play? I've played defense all my life, and there is a lot of shit going on back there that simply couldn't be counted for in a videogame, for example.. WATCH NICK LIDSTROM. And what happens when everyone's character is maxed out to 99? Seems kinda lame...

NHL2k9 has also added 6v6 online play and some other new features which I forget.. but I've had the 2k hockey games since 2001 and they are the most realistic and fun to play in my opinion. I just wanted to see if anyone else was going to be picking up a hockey game and your thoughts on the differences.

I used to love EA hockey. I'm a dedicated EA fan, in fact today is Madden Day(I was too tired to go at Midnight to get it, so I'm getting it in a few hours.) I agree, that no game can really account for everything, but EA was getting there. I lost interest in Hockey video games awhile back, but I still play when I hang with my cousins.

I'll be picking up NHL 09. The skill stick introduced in EA's 07 is the best thing that has happened to hockey video games, and the fact that you'll be able to use it on defence now makes me giddy. While there are some things I'd like to see from the 2K series (though, I haven't played a 2K game since 06, so things may have changed), like puck scrums along the boards, I've always had the most FUN with EA hockey games, and in the end, that's what's more important to me, not whether it's the most realistic game of hockey out there.

the parking spots are extra wide so that when you open your car door, there's no chance of touching the car next to you, so long as you're parked in the centre of the spot.

also, they have a giant palm tree that was helicoptered from california to vancouver during construction and placed in the middle of the first floor and the floors above it where altered to make space. the fucking thing must be 6-7 storeys tall.

I've decided i'm giong to go with EA this year, but only because of their online be a pro mode... and distinct league. It's a little laughable when I watched a trailer and they're advertising new features like the flip dump and defensive skill stick which has been in the 2k games for years.

2k9 demo came out today, downloading it now, opinion and review later

on another videogame hockey note... this game started it all for me, granted I was a huge hockey fan since the age of 3. And I still believe that NHL '94 for the Snes is the greatest game ever made. It also had teh longest instructional manuel ever... 88 pages fucking long, 2 of them devoted to skating... amazing

256px-Blades_Of_Steel_box_art.jpg

which reminds me of my favourite athlete on the cover of a game.. good ol' JR

espn-nhl-hockey.349321.jpg

Edited by Computer

2k is junk for hockey the graphics are way behind and the gameplay felt choppy...

ea has the skill stick which is other than some high level glitches really really slick, and a ton of fun to use plus with the lack of a button shooting it gives you a ton of control. the flip dump was already in the game idk why they are drawing some light to it. unless the play will be more easy to manage. I do miss the lack of scrums but maybe they'll be sneaked in like a girlfriend on prom night : )

the goalies need a tweak, and the one times are really easy to employ and score with but aside from that and especially in the multi-player(with a HUMAN goalie) it's endless fun for any hockey fan.

playing 4v4 online this season was a blast and 6v6 ranked sounds like it will be better(although quitters and the like will be a major pain we'll see how it's dealt with)

I play a ton ton ton ton of nhl08 online - if anyone wants to teach me a lesson my s/n is my gamer tag on live.

well I just got done playing the 2k9 demo.. and I'm severely unimpressed... 2k4 was way better than this.. they dumbed down the controls which works, but it doesn't make up for the bad graphics, bad animations, and terrible overall feel on the ice... it also seems they've implemented ea's homing missle check button because you glide 6ft into people... nhl09 will be better for sure, but it better not let me down as well

it should also be noted that I've just downloaded Nhl 94 and would much rather play it than 2k9, 2k8, or nhl 08

Edited by Computer