malarky

Live At Massey Hall

This album just solidifies something I'm nagged with every time I see Matt live: I hate his setlists. On this album, I despise Weapon, Apparitions, Load Me Up and Strange Days. I just don't like those songs. I'm also very apathetic towards HTB, Devil's in Your Details, Put Out Your Lights, Everything is Automatic and True Love.

So I really don't enjoy like 3/4 of this album. What's good is amazing, but the songs which form the reasons why I love Matt Good aren't the songs he plays at concerts, so...yeah.

I agree that there's many songs of his that would be really nice to be on here that aren't, but you really don't like Weapon, Apparitions, Strange Days or Load Me Up?

Like others have said, it was pretty much a given quite a few hits would be on here and I'm still really happy to have it. Overall I think it's solid. Sure there are a lot of little things that sound quite different from the album versions but the songs overall still sound quite good I think and it would be boring anyway if it just sounded the exact same. Some changes I think are for the better, some are just as good but maybe just in a different way, and some are definitely not as good but still plenty do-able.

I think I definitely enjoy Champions of Nothing more on here and Blue Skies Over Bad Lands has some awesome touches that I think arguably sound better than on the album but I think I'll take the album version over it nonetheless. I'm really glad he included Giant and I personally find the MGB rockers to be plenty do-able songs on here, but I know what everyone's saying with them not having as much punch as some other songs. I think the production is very well done and it is absolutely worth listening to.

I think Giant sounds very good on this live record and the best of MGB's songs on this set, followed by Everything is Automatic. Perhaps those are played less than the other MGB songs on here?

This version of Giant kind of gives me a new appreciation for it. I really like how much oomph the new band gave it.

I remember before the last tour, when Matt published a selection list of songs that he would perform, that he particularly wanted to do NF and HoSaM; the latter was a no-go due to the fact the band had no more time for learning the moves (no doubt this applied to more than just one song) and that the former was out of the question as he could not get hold of the loops for the intro. Don't know the reason why. I'd love to hear BOTH of these live, for sure.

I remember before the last tour, when Matt published a selection list of songs that he would perform, that he particularly wanted to do NF and HoSaM; the latter was a no-go due to the fact the band had no more time for learning the moves (no doubt this applied to more than just one song) and that the former was out of the question as he could not get hold of the loops for the intro. Don't know the reason why. I'd love to hear BOTH of these live, for sure.

NF is one of my Faves, I have probably one of the most incredible versions of it live ever. The drummer loses his freakin mind, and the band just goes along with him.

NF is one of my Faves, I have probably one of the most incredible versions of it live ever. The drummer loses his freakin mind, and the band just goes along with him.

I am with Jane. I would kill to see NF live. Are you amenable to sharing your awesome copy? ;)

The guitar work on this album is fantastic.

One thing I'm disappointed in is you cannot hear the crowd singing along with any of the songs. I'd figure you'd be able to hear it in particular with the "hits" such as Time Bomb or Apparitions. Being at the show in Vancouver that was one of the best parts of the show was hearing the crowd sing along. I don't know if it has to do with the recording or the fact that the crowd at this show just wasn't all that loud.

Edited by ccf23

The guitar work on this album is fantastic.

One thing I'm disappointed in is you cannot hear the crowd singing along with any of the songs. I'd figure you'd be able to hear it in particular with the "hits" such as Time Bomb or Apparitions. Being at the show in Vancouver that was one of the best parts of the show was hearing the crowd sing along. I don't know if it has to do with the recording or the fact that the crowd at this show just wasn't all that loud.

read the thread

Well I am REALLY pissed off that, despite bagging a signed copy and paying $60 for shipping, I have yet to receive mine in the UK. Friends who had theirs sent ordinary airmail got theirs earlier this week...

Fucking furious, actually. As of yet, Maple Music have yet to provide a response...

Bitterly disappointed...

;) :angry:

Well I am REALLY pissed off that, despite bagging a signed copy and paying $60 for shipping, I have yet to receive mine in the UK. Friends who had theirs sent ordinary airmail got theirs earlier this week...

Fucking furious, actually. As of yet, Maple Music have yet to provide a response...

Bitterly disappointed...

;) :angry:

That's bizzare. I only paid $15 or so for shipping.

I got good responses from Dayna Shiskos - [email protected] . Might be worth emailing her.

I believe the release date was the 4th.

I expected to wait a week or two...cause that's how long it took for something to come from Maple Music the last time I ordered something from them. And I expected it to be longer because my CD was in Vancouver for a while...

Anyway this CD is fucking awesome. I love it...I'm only up to Hello Time Bomb right now but it rocks.

Sigh ... still haven't gotten mine yet even though it is "out for delivery" according to the tracking site. Am I in an area of NYC that's harder to ship to than where Gomo is? (glad you got yours at least!) Or did my roommate get the CD when he checked the mail today and put it in a place I would never look ... *goes to search the apartment*

Well I'm gonna assume it's in a nice padded envelope that'll stick out so it shouldn't make your search around the place too hard!

I can't imagine that anywhere in the NYC area would be harder to ship to than any other, but you never know. If you lived on Staten Island I'd say they just didn't feel like going there...haha.