malarky

Live At Massey Hall

Matt has said numerous times that Hospital Music was his last record with Universal.

And it was. But live albums aren't counted as "albums" in most major label contracts. Neither are greatest hits. Most contracts are something like "seven albums, plus a live album, a b-sides album, and a greatest hits". (That's exactly what Pearl Jam's was with Sony/Epic, which they fulfilled to the letter. They never renewed it or renegotiated it, which is actually unusual for major label acts.)

Keep note of Radiohead's recent best-of - it was part of their contract, despite the fact that they had already released In Rainbows on another label. Radiohead had already finished their last EMI album - and EMI didn't need their permission or involvement to release the GH. (Radiohead had a live album on EMI: I Might Be Wrong - Live Recordings.)

I'm not saying categorically that Universal is releasing this. For all I know, it could be MapleMusic (or another indie label), and they simply don't want to cannibalize CD sales. It's just my own observation: the delay suggests that someone else has a say in its release. It seems like it if it were Matt making the call by himself, it would be released in its entirety worldwide on the same day, and the limited edition CDs would be released later. (While I'm making that assumption - that doesn't mean I'm right.)

I can't imagine that most indie labels would care enough about selling CDs to force the pre-sale, and I doubt Matt would, either. It just feels like a major label move. It may not be. It just seems odd, is all.

Edited by uglyredhonda

I'm pretty sure it'll be at the Nelson CDPlus... Loser Anthems was a limited release and I bought it there. 10,000 is a lot. I don't think they'll sell that fast.

But I'm basing this off the fact that Universal is releasing this... if they're not, then who knows.

I am pretty sure it has been mastered. Not to mention the edit of Automatic that had to place because Matt let the crowd sing the chorus. It is not like it is a raw recording. With all that said those three tracks sound great. Although I was kind of used to the bootleg quality of the Matt Good fan communtity, these tracks are far superior. Do miss some of the crowd noise though. I guess I just have a soft spot for unpolished live recordings.