Moonlight_Graham

Green Leader Only Became A Canadian Citizen At 24

I saw in the paper today Green Party leader Elizabeth May was born in 1954 in Connecticut, NY in the United States, and that her family first moved to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia in 1972.

So doing some crappy math & a bit of research, May spent the first 18 years of her life as an American citizen living in the U.S. She only got her citizen ship a few years later in 1978, at the age of 24 (or 23, not sure).

This is just completely unacceptable to me for a leader of a significant Canadian federal poltical party who is running to be Prime Minister of Canada.

What do u guys think? Is she still fit to be PM? I'm quite undecided in this election of which of the major parties i want to vote for, but i guess i can cross one party off the list (oh, and the Bloc lol).

Doesn't really matter to me. If she had just moved here like 3 to 5 years ago, I might have a slight problem with it but in my books 30 years as a citizen in a country easily qualifies you to be a leader of a party.

Besides, she moved here for a reason I would assume and to me people's ideas and policies are much more important than where they come from.

Being that they moved here in 1972, could there be a possibility that someone was dodging the draft, the family moves for the sake of the father or brother not having to go to 'Nam? If so, then I'm cool with that. Though it's probably not, it's just what comes into my mind whenever I hear about someone moving from the US to Canada during that time period.

As for her leadership of the Green Party, I don't think it matters for two reasons:

1) She's been a Canadian citizen for 30 years, as was mentioned

2) The Green Party is too small for her to ever become Prime Minister. The massive shift of votes required for her to win the election is a fairly unrealistic possibility.

Edited by Morglor9