jnak00

Life In Spite Of Itself

This was my favourite demo thus far. Very reminiscent of the Avalanche days. I still think he needs to lay off the strings in all these demos, this one I am considering to be an exception given the feel of the song.

I've been thinking a lot about this statement the last couple of days. Personally, I like the strings. They certainly don't detract from the songs at all, and for the most part they add a softer dimension to the song, which works well with a song like On Nights Like Tonight. For me, the only thing I can see a problem with is playing the songs live- does Matt use a recorded track (like with Weapon, and yes, I am back to italicizing song titles) and play over top of that, though, with the middle of Empty's Theme Park, that wouldn't be the most exciting thing to watch if the band is just standing around, or will the strings be dropped entirely, which could possibly take away from the songs?

I've been thinking a lot about this statement the last couple of days. Personally, I like the strings. They certainly don't detract from the songs at all, and for the most part they add a softer dimension to the song, which works well with a song like On Nights Like Tonight. For me, the only thing I can see a problem with is playing the songs live- does Matt use a recorded track (like with Weapon, and yes, I am back to italicizing song titles) and play over top of that, though, with the middle of Empty's Theme Park, that wouldn't be the most exciting thing to watch if the band is just standing around, or will the strings be dropped entirely, which could possibly take away from the songs?

I agree as well that they do work for most of the songs. The reason I am saying he should lay off the strings is because he will most likely just use the shitty garage band strings he used for Hospital music. I think it detracts from that whole sprawling, lush sound that matt was trying to create. He definitely captured that sound with the Vancouver orchestra on avalanche, unfortunately he can't afford that anymore. sorry about that nit picking but when it comes to midi sounds i turn into a complete audiophile.;) I remembered he mentioned that he may get a small quartet to play the string pieces and then double it over with synth strings so maybe that will sound more realistic.

I agree as well that they do work for most of the songs. The reason I am saying he should lay off the strings is because he will most likely just use the shitty garage band strings he used for Hospital music. I think it detracts from that whole sprawling, lush sound that matt was trying to create. He definitely captured that sound with the Vancouver orchestra on avalanche, unfortunately he can't afford that anymore. sorry about that nit picking but when it comes to midi sounds i turn into a complete audiophile.;) I remembered he mentioned that he may get a small quartet to play the string pieces and then double it over with synth strings so maybe that will sound more realistic.

Hope so. Authentic strings + MG = amazing :angry: :angry:

In his avalanche bio, he said he'll never be able to afford something like the VSO again, unfortunately.

unless one trick pony donates a significant amount of money specifically for him to hire the VSO.

Edited by Computer

I am totally blown away by the amount of time spent mixing Avalanche. A lot of it sounds so damned intricate, it's just mindblowing. Shit, I'm having trouble with just one damned song on my project, where as all five of my sister's ep tracks took us over a week to finally get right.

Edited by bishopx