That Nirvana track "You know you're right" was cool. IT sounded just like something that would have come off of "In Utero". One track...not 20 tracks of remixed, and over-produced shit.

no it doesn't. it's way too glossy to be steve albini.

i think it really just depends on the band. i know that of the reissues that i've bought, i've been quite happy with them. the "legacy edition" reissue of sonic youth's daydream nation is quite good because they leave the first disc alone, but include a second one with a live performance of the album in it's entirety.

i also have the legacy version of jeff buckley's grace and they, too, left his album alone and just included a CD of extras and a DVD (i think) as well. the CD is great because there are no shitty demos on it... just other covers and things that he had been working on at the same time. considering he only lived to finish one album, this kind of inclusion is one that's wholly necessary and well-worth it in my opinion.

no it doesn't. it's way too glossy to be steve albini.

i think it really just depends on the band. i know that of the reissues that i've bought, i've been quite happy with them. the "legacy edition" reissue of sonic youth's daydream nation is quite good because they leave the first disc alone, but include a second one with a live performance of the album in it's entirety.

i also have the legacy version of jeff buckley's grace and they, too, left his album alone and just included a CD of extras and a DVD (i think) as well. the CD is great because there are no shitty demos on it... just other covers and things that he had been working on at the same time. considering he only lived to finish one album, this kind of inclusion is one that's wholly necessary and well-worth it in my opinion.

I have that Jeff Buckley release as well. I'd forgotten about it.

I big to differ on the "Nirvana" track though. It's got that feel to it, like it should have been on the disc right after "Rape Me". It definitely got some serious production work though, but if you listen to In Utero, and then this track, you recognize the connection.

Probably my favourite band ever. Although, I understand why most people who do not like them do it, for Corgans voice, they just can't wrap their heads around it. Fair play.

Siamese Dream is my favourite album ever, pretty sure. Soma being my favourite song, hands down. They had such an amazing catelogue of songs/albums from '91 - '00. I went to their "final" concert in Chicago in 2000 and it was incredible, 3 main sets, 4 encore, over 4 hours of songs. The best show i've ever been to.

What do people think? Favourite songs? Albums? Ever seen them live in their peak? Or at least with the orginal line-up still?

on a side note, this morning i bought pre-sale tickets to their show on November 4th (they're playing the 3rd too) at Massey Hall. Got second row tickets, should be amazing.

Dude I've been meaning to comment on your screen name forever. I knew it was Pumpkins related.

The Smashing Pumpkins are without a doubt my favorite band of all time. I have the Massey Hall shows from this last tour in mp3 form. That was good stuff! I was at the November 6th show in New York at United Palace Theater. I have that show in mp3 also (that and Massey from the official bootleg site).

I'd say more people dislike the Pumpkins because they perceive Billy Corgan to be an asshole. I don't think the majority of people actually *hate* his voice. I happen to like it a lot. It has changed over the years that's for sure.

But why I respect the Pumpkins, in all forms they've taken, is the versatility they possess. They are great musicians who dabble in all kinds of styles. Any band that can record something is insane as X.Y.U. and then 3 years later record something as delicate as To Sheila or For Martha has got my respect.

And they just fucking rock. Dude at that November 6th show, I don't care what setlist they played, it was fucking great. Jimmy Chamberlin is the best drummer I've ever seen. No doubt. Corgan can rip a guitar to shreds with the best of them. 10 minute jam sessions with Rush medleys mixed in and 20 minute covers of Pink Floyd? Sign me up. It's all so kickass that I can't wait for the next tour. Corgan could play Gossamer for an hour and I'd eat it up. I don't know, call me a fanboy but the dude just rocks. I don't care if he's an asshole. His interviews make me laugh. I read them and go listen to The Aeroplane Flies High right after.

Siamese Dream rocks. Soma rocks. You have good taste. I myself would say my favorite album is Adore, but I'm not sure what my favorite song is. It's probably something out of a group of Mayonaise, Porcelina, For Martha, Bodies, An Ode To No One, Hummer, This Time, and Age of Innocence.

I will also say that I liked Zwan. Billy came up with some good songs during that era. Also you guys should check out Jimmy's solo project, Jimmy Chamberlin Complex. He made a great album with Billy Moehler. Corgan contributed vocals to the track "loki cat" on the album and it's very good.

Ok one more thing, I don't miss James and D'arcy. Ginger and Jeff can really play. I just hope Billy gives them the keys to the recording studio at some point.

Edited by Gomo

I really liked their newest album. It was like remembering the Smashing Pumpkins some years ago, when they played such great songs -for me, at least- like "Disarm", "Tonight, tonight", and many more... I'd love to hear new stuff from them soon...

Reviving this because I had to chime in. At one point SP was my favorite band EVER.

I still think Siamese Dream is one of the best albums ever made. To me,personally, that IS their best album. I love MCIS, but Siamese Dream I can listen to from start to finish over and over.

As for the new Pumpkins...I'll listen to it, but I don't connect to it on the same level I did back in the day. It's just not the same.

i think that the new version is a dumbed down version of the old one. if they continue along this really muscular, "rockin" path, then i think that confirms my suspicions. if they change things up a bit, then i'd welcome that more.

i appreciated zwan because it was the most... different corgan has been from the industrial rock/neo-psychedelia of the pumpkins. the songs were happy, but piss-poor.

Nonsense. Zwan had a ton of good songs. I just listened to some today. Most of the best stuff was played live and never recorded, and the better songs like Mary Star of the Sea were extended to like, 17 minutes when played live.

I wish some of the Zwan songs weren't banished, never to be played again. It's a shame. What Have They Done To Me, God's Gonna Set This World On Fire, Glorious, A New Poetry, Wasting Time, Think You Know, W.P., A Certain Kind of Change, etc. These are awesome songs. The album overall I think is good although I would have replaced some songs with what I just listed.

As I said, I saw SP in November and they fucking flat out ROCK. There's nothing wrong with just plain ole' rocking out. And even if they don't change it up, their greatest moments will always be behind them. That shouldn't stop anyone from enjoying the new songs they put out. I've enjoyed many of them. I think people expect to much, are just too hard to please, or just don't like the way Billy does business and it affects the way they think of the music.

Edited by Gomo

No no. the song on the album was Jesus, I / Mary Star of the Sea which was 14 minutes.

I have a 17 minute version of just Mary Star of the Sea, which is basically 9 more minutes added to the song.

30 minute silverfuck is awesome. I need to find one.

On the recent SP DVD release, If All Goes Wrong, they played a new song "Gossamer" for 33 minutes. I have a DVD rip of it. I love how Billy loves being progressive.

Edited by Gomo

It basically is, but everyone already knows he's crazy so there isn't anything shocking on it. I like a lot of the new songs on the dvd as well.

Has anyone else listened to their new song 'FOL'? I kind of wish Billy would stop writing songs with titles like that (G.L.O.W., Mina Loy M.O.H.). You can download it for free from the Hyundai site because they used it in a Superbowl commercial, you just have to give Hyundai your email. I dig the song, though it's not as good as I wanted it to be.

I heard it. It's not as good as G.L.O.W. in my opinion. I haven't really listened to FOL all that much.

More than poking fun at the abbreviation titles, people in SP circles are commenting on Billy and his "come on, come on" choruses of late. haha.

THE SMASHING PUMPKINS' BILLY CORGAN ANNOUNCES THE DEPARTURE OF JIMMY CHAMBERLIN FROM THE GROUP

CORGAN SET TO HEAD INTO THE STUDIO TO CREATE NEW SMASHING PUMPKINS MUSIC

The SMASHING PUMPKINS' guitarist, singer, songwriter and founding member Billy Corgan has announced that drummer Jimmy Chamberlin has left the group. Chamberlin joined the band Corgan founded in Chicago in 1988 and played on all their albums except Adore (1998). Corgan will continue to write and record as SMASHING PUMPKINS with plans to head into the studio this spring.

*dies*

Even though there's no real info out about this, I will just go on to say why must BC be a stupid asshole that nobody can work with; not even his best friend.

It might be so Jimmy can work on another solo album. His first was great...so another one would be more than welcome into my collection. Still...I was liking the new music coming out from SP and I'm not so sure it's going to work with just Billy.

sigh...