catherine22

"i, The Throw Away"?

What is the story behind this song.. any interpretations?

----------------

Lyrics are:

----------------

Made a man out of me

A killing machine

Your baby's going to die ma

Your baby's coming home

You know they put a man on the moon

Simply to prove that we all need a place to go

Where we're not known

Where we're not

And to a lesser degree

I can recall breathing easy

But the deficit rolls

Built up I suppose

Picking up the pieces

Of another fucked up reason

For selling off some freedom that was never free

Well, never absolutely

Never absolutely

Made a mess out of me

A killing machine

Sometimes when I need them

If I look hard enough to see them

I can find my feet

As I push against gravity

In and out of having them been

Led by defeat

So one more time's all I need

does anybody think that it might be the deficit rose instead of the deficit rolls. because it says the defecit rose built up i suppose. so that rhymes with suppose better and it makes more sense because if it rose then that means it built up like it says in the next line.

i think its about a guy going to war.

For future reference you could just link the lyrics page for the lyrics: http://www.nearfantastica.com/lyrics/i-the-throw-away.html

I would agree it is likely about being trained to fight. The part of me that enjoyed English class wants to say there is more to it than that. I would say it is more likely about post traumatic stress syndrome. Hence the lines "Made a mess out of me", and "I can recall breathing easy". I'm sure there is a lot more to it. There is a subtle social commentary in "we all need a place to go\ Where we're not known" as well as the obvious "selling of some freedom that was never free".

Peace

It's probably something about how he was stressed/going through depression after Beautiful Midnight with the press and the success and the need to come up with something as good and sell the same way that BM did.

i think i remember hearing that during his first acoustic tour (when he was still humouring some of the fans yelling requests) he tried to start playing it and couldn't remember how it went, so he stopped. I also remember him saying somewhere that he wrote a lot of those songs to be played open with weird tuning, and since he never played any of them in concert because of the trauma surrounding the band break up, he just totally forgot how to play them. I think that the AOB songs that he started playing acoustically (carmelina, tripoli, advertising on police cars, truffle pigs and SOAPS) sound different because of this (as well as the ones that he played with the full band like The Rat Who Would Be King).

On the album, Carmelina, Truffle Pigs, The Fall of Man and Anti-Pop are tuned in drop D tuning minus a half step, which is a bitch to hold in tune if your guitar is not set up properly for it because of the lower string tension.

thick strings but don't expect to do any crazy bends.

the songs do take on a new life when you play them in that key though, luckily i have a pedal that can drop half a step. ;)

Edited by finboy

thick strings but don't expect to do any crazy bends.

the songs do take on a new life when you play them in that key though, luckily i have a pedal that can drop half a step. ;)

Depending on string gauge, truss rod adjustments may be needed so your neck isn't fucked :angry:

that song was written a long time prior. At least the first verse, and i'm relatively sure he just tried to finish the song and may have even forgot the original meaning. Check out his second anniversary manifesto where he includes a bunch of pseudo-poetry, including the first verse "of some song [he] wrote a long time ago" that he kept because he liked the last couple of lines.