AnOceanPearl

Vancouver Megathread

Historically the blue period may have been important yes. I was talking about me, in front on one of the paintings from that era. And that's what I meant in my previous posts and it's the same for your music or anyone else's for that matter. The listener's opinions are going to be based on them listening to the record regardless of the work and, for most of them, techniques behind them.

Listened to the stream yesterday and today, very impressed.

Hey Matt, could you put "comfortable criminals" as a bonus track on this or your next hits album.

I've never heard a copy of that song that didn't sound like a bag of dicks due to a shite bitrate

The line near the start "when her mouth gets bigger than her ass". That's friggin' classic, it even trumps all of Morrisseys' more eyebrow raising lyrics.

later,

EDIT: nevermind I just saw it in the NF store, sorry. I gotta get posting so I can DL it, woo hoo.

Edited by mostcomfortablecriminal

Thanks for taking the time to explain Matt. Too bad that people need art explained to them in the first place, but as an aspiring songwriter I appreciate the insights into your process regardless.

The album is a fantastic piece of work. It's a more consistent album for sure, no blatant country or hard rock overtones or experimental genres.

Although, I do hope in the future we will also see more adventurous albums like WLRRR. If there's one thing this album lacked, it's the fact that there wasn't a single song where I was like 'Wow, this is Matt Good?' But I can admit that the cohesiveness of the album explains the lack of something shocking.

Any b-sides this time?

Edited by Emu

Returning to the new record, one thing that younger people are used to are albums that tend to focus on one of two things: either a popular sound that is embraced by many and therefore considered good, or an effort that strains to exemplify a disjointed or ambitious presentation in an attempt to have the work appear experimental, bizarre, or quirky. Personally, I believe that albums are all about flow. Sometimes the flow of an album is better than others, but one of the most important aspects of any complete recording is setting mood. While most of you here will whole heartedly disagree with me, Underdogs, Beautiful Midnight, The Audio Of Being, and Avalanche all failed to do that.

Matt, I'm just curious. Would you consider Avalanche one of your more 'experimental' works? If not experimental, maybe more adventurous?

That album was actually what got me into listening to music - lets face it, its not a typical rock album. Thats the kind of album that sounds like it took ages to record and mix, however that wasn't the case.

I'm not the only one who describes your new work as a cross between Hospital Music and Avalanche, which by all means is a compliment.

Thanks Matt.

Being a drummer, and creating my own music I know where you are coming from. In music there are multiple angles that one must consider while creating music. It is not just about writing lyrics, forming music, and then preforming it, it is about making the music from one song to the next. How the lyrics will flow with the music that it has to work, and then how the songs will form and fit together into one piece from start to finish. Mind you none of what I have created has been recorded, but the process of making one song is extremely difficult.

Still the album does flow from start to finish, and I did like most of it.

Refresh!

Got my vinyl and CD copy. This was worth getting up at 7 for.

Being seven hours out of sync, I got up at 3am to order each. And they've just run out of autographed copies of the CD. I got mine just in time, but ouch - international shipping hurts on the vinyl. :angry: I never saw the postcard pack added to my order - did anyone else?

I seem to recall that the pre-order links were up a couple of hours earlier on the day than they were for Live at Massey Hall.

Anyways, it was worth getting up at 3 for too. ;) Now back to bed. :angry:

Edited by B Gallagher

To everyone complaining about the first "movement" that is made by the first three tracks, a similar one existed on Hospital Music with Girl Wedged Under the Front of a Firebird, I'm Not Safer Than a Bank and I'm a Window, but no one seemed to mind that.

Edited by Prometheon

okay...i'm back and going to give the album a headphone listen. if the phone rings, i am ignoring it.

my post is all going to be disjointed thoughts--what comes to my mind when I listen to the album. it's nice to see that matt good actually posts in these threads. i'll try to not be so harsh then ;)

anyway, i've sorta fallen out of touch with music and sadly matthew good over the past few years so hopefully this brings me back into him & music. through my first ROUGH listen, the album sounds a lot more like avalanche than his other releases which is great to hear, since Avalanche remains my favourite album by either Mr. Good or his band. with that said, i hope it's not a duplicate of the album--it's great when artists change up their sound. obviously, matthew good has done this well...(avalanche, WLRARR, Hospital) are all pretty different from each other so i shall see.

no more filler from me, it's time to begin.

1) Last Parade - pretty epic opening. guitars are already sounding like something from avalanche. near fantastica-esque this song. nice to hear matt swear. great opener. matt's always had very grandeur opening tracks; well except for put out your lights.

2) The Boy Who Could Explode - okay, I think I am on the next song. or maybe this is a continuation of Parade? It gels very well with Parade. Yup...it's the next track! haha. Sounding good. Not as good as the opener though.

3) Great Whales Of The Sea - I guess this is supposed to be the joke song on the album? matt's voice is sounding good on this album. his voice was a little raspy on Hospital Music to me. ooh, I like when the band joins in here. short song.

4) Us Remains Impossible - this is sounding a bit radio friendly to me. is this the single or will be a single? the pre-chorus builds well but the chorus is very anti-climatic. i'll definitely skip this song for future listens. this is not a grower.

5) On Nights Like Tonight - ah yes, this is version #2 of the song avalanche. Also track #5! good song though obviously since it sounds exactly like avalanche. don't really have any other comments.

6) Volcanoes - this is okay as well. it seems most of the songs are building up exactly the same way here. musically, this album to me sounds like matthew good's final chapter. it would be a bold way to end a fine career--with epic string arrangements everywhere. obviously, this album will sound a million times better than a stupid stream though.

7) A Silent Army In The Trees - good song again--just not hearing anything different. every song on the album Avalanche had its own uniqueness to it, it seems on Vancouver that all of these songs flow together so similarly. if a friend played a song randomly for me, i would have a difficult time telling which song it was.

8) Fought To Fight It - wow, a different beat to begin a song! second single? this sounds like a combination of i'm a window and the future is x-rated to me. pretty good.

9) The Vancouver National Anthem - good song again. they've all have been good songs to me except us remains impossible. again, though, i can't help to point out that most of these songs sound eerily similar to each other. matthew good showing some aggression with his voice in the last few songs. i just wish there was a bit of an edge still with matthew good still--such as from the fall of man or a boy and his machine gun.

10) Empty's Theme Park - grandeur opening here. sounding good again of course. matthew good is the definition of consistency. i'm not sure if i'm going to buy this album though. there isn't anything on this album that blows me away or gives me chills up my spine. feels like a pretty "safe" album to make -- there's nothing here sounding drastic from his past; it should hook on the audience that can't get enough of avalanche. no one is going to hate this album, that's for sure. this is a pretty good closer. the string arrangements are very strong in this album but they themselves do not bolster the songs up to epic proportions. the first and last songs are the favourites on the album.

all done! pretty good album. solid as expected. Definitely better than Hospital Music. Nowhere near as good as Avalanche. On par with WLRARR for me in terms of preference even though they both sound dramatically different. again, it sounded like a pretty safe album to make. the fans wanted another avalanche...this is exactly what they got. there just wasn't anything here memorable or something that emotionally hooked me in. thanks for reading.

*post corrected for many typos*

Edited by Shortcut To Moncton

yes! finally got a vinyl. i even forgot about getting it this morning. too bad i just spent about $600 on textbooks today...

oh an obviously i got the cd as well. and of course i'll get the itunes version.

im pumped for this vinyl though. i have a record player but im curious who else is getting a vinyl but doesn't have a player?

yes! finally got a vinyl. i even forgot about getting it this morning. too bad i just spent about $600 on textbooks today...

oh an obviously i got the cd as well. and of course i'll get the itunes version.

im pumped for this vinyl though. i have a record player but im curious who else is getting a vinyl but doesn't have a player?

tip for text books, find out from your profs if used copies are fine and score used copies on the cheap from amazon. i cut my text book expenses from $500 one semester for 4 books, to under $100 the next for 5 books.