AnOceanPearl

Vancouver Megathread

I haven't listened to it yet and don't know for sure if I will but probably. I'm going to try and not judge too much from the stream though because the actual album can be quite a different experience. I enjoyed Hospital Music a bit better when I listened to it in full quality for the first time. Also some others so I'll hold off on really judging the album until I have some time with it the way it's meant to be heard.

yes! finally got a vinyl. i even forgot about getting it this morning. too bad i just spent about $600 on textbooks today...

oh an obviously i got the cd as well. and of course i'll get the itunes version.

im pumped for this vinyl though. i have a record player but im curious who else is getting a vinyl but doesn't have a player?

I don't have a player, I'm getting it so I can get it signed and displayed proudly along with my signed Avalanche vinyl.

The omission of Bad Pennies is unforgivable! Seriously. That song is great, and it would have added some levity to an album that is really thick, heavy and dark sounding. I like the record enough though.

The Boy Who Could Explode is one of Matt's best songs, period.

Silent Army lacks the raw punch of the demo version... that really heavy, slightly out of tune guitar bit at the end is really, really missed but it's still one of the best here.

Vancouver National Anthem is another MG classic.

Great Whales Of The Sea is pretty great too.

On Nights Like Tonight sounds like MG on musical autopilot.

Last Parade is too long for what it is. The first couple of minutes are really captivating though. The chorus doesn't grab me.

For those of you who didn't manage to get an autographed pre-order, NF has unsigned copies you can get.

http://www.nearfantastica.com/albums/vancouver-album-demos/

It's $14.99 now and Amazon will give you the lower price if it gets cheaper. You can always get MG to sign this one too ;). We don't have vinyls though.

To everyone complaining about the first "movement" that is made by the first three tracks, a similar one existed on Hospital Music with Girl Wedged Under the Front of a Firebird, I'm Not Safer Than a Bank and I'm a Window, but no one seemed to mind that.

Not sure who you're directing this to, but the problem has nothing to do with the 'movement'. Those songs on Hospital Music (even though Girl Wedged is more of sound bite composition than a coherent song) the fact remains all three of them are different. The first three tracks on Vancouver are so similar I didn't even know what track I was on while doing something else. Someone else pointed out that he didnt even know if he was on track 1 or 2, and thats the exact feeling I had.

It's perfectly fine having two songs as one composition, but when THREE songs (with all do respect) are pretty similar, it tends to make it longer than it should be and really kills the momentum of the album. I absolutely hate skipping songs on an album, especially when theres nothing wrong with them, but I find it too long and I want to skip through just to get to something different. I've streamed the album to a couple of people and they agreed.

Am I making any sense whats-so-ever? I'm not downing the album by any means, I'm just saying if anything, thats my only beef. Track placement is so important and it can really make or break an album. I'm no producer, I have 0 experience in the music industry, however when more than one person starts to comment.. ehh its gotta have some kind of weight behind it.

Just wanted to clarify what I meant, not trying to start any wars. ;)

Edited by instro2

I think of A Silent Army in the Trees album version as like a cousin of Born Losers.

Also dammit I missed out on the signed copy of the CD! I totally forgot to check it this morning because I've been busy getting used to a new routine with a new job.

the bidding for my 2nd vinyl starts... now!

The only way to truly settle this is by freestyle rhyme. IM style. Typing errors will not count against the contestants, so long as the word and/or slang is decipherable.

The edit I made was for a typo. Eff.

Edited by c0micb0y

Not sure who you're directing this to, but the problem has nothing to do with the 'movement'. Those songs on Hospital Music (even though Girl Wedged is more of sound bite composition than a coherent song) the fact remains all three of them are different. The first three tracks on Vancouver are so similar I didn't even know what track I was on while doing something else. Someone else pointed out that he didnt even know if he was on track 1 or 2, and thats the exact feeling I had.

It's perfectly fine having two songs as one composition, but when THREE songs (with all do respect) are pretty similar, it tends to make it longer than it should be and really kills the momentum of the album. I absolutely hate skipping songs on an album, especially when theres nothing wrong with them, but I find it too long and I want to skip through just to get to something different. I've streamed the album to a couple of people and they agreed.

Am I making any sense whats-so-ever? I'm not downing the album by any means, I'm just saying if anything, thats my only beef. Track placement is so important and it can really make or break an album. I'm no producer, I have 0 experience in the music industry, however when more than one person starts to comment.. ehh its gotta have some kind of weight behind it.

Just wanted to clarify what I meant, not trying to start any wars. ;)

in all fairness, matt even mentioned on his blog before releasing hospital music that he was writing longer songs that had more of a pink floyd influence, like the album "animals"

further evidence of his love for this album can be found in its art work, exibit a...

Pink_Floyd-Animals-Frontal.jpgMgb_loser_anthems_red.jpg

Edited by finboy